Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first road bike. Until now, I had only ride mountain bike. I'm looking for a bike with which I could go to work (20 km) and having good riding performance in evening and week end.

After a week comparing bikes, I focused my attention on two models. The Kona Zing and the Giant OCR-1. Here, in Quebec, the Zing is available for 1300$ and the OCR-1 for 1400$.

The major points with which I have most difficulties are :
- Wheelset Mavic Aksium vs Xero XSR-3
- Shifters : 105 vs Ultegra
- Bottom bracket : TruVativ Elita GigaPipe vs TH 7420
- Frame ready for rack (for changing clothes and maybe portable computer)

Here are the specs of the two bikes : <TABLE><TR><TD><TD/><TD>Giant OCR1<TD/><TD>Kona Zing<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Frame<TD/><TD>ALUXX butted aluminum, Compact Road Design<TD/> <TD>Dedacciai Force 7005 Butted Aluminum<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Fork<TD/> <TD>FormulaOne Composite w/aluminum steerer<TD/> <TD>Kona Carbon Race<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Shifters<TD/> <TD>Shimano Ultegra STI, 9 speed<TD/> <TD>Shimano 105<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Front Derailleur<TD/><TD>Shimano 105<TD/> <TD>Shimano 105<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Rear Derailleur<TD/><TD>Shimano Ultegra<TD/> <TD>Shimano 105<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Brakes<TD/> <TD>Tektro Dual Pivot, Long Reach<TD/> <TD>Tektro RX 40<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Brake Levers<TD/> <TD>Shimano Ultegra STI<TD/> <TD>Shimano 105<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Cassette<TD/><TD>SRAM PG-950 12-26T, 9 speed<TD/> <TD>Shimano CS-HG70 12-25, 9 speed<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Chain<TD/> <TD>Shimano HG53<TD/> <TD>Shimano CN-HG73<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Crank<TD/><TD>TruVativ Elita, 30/42/52T<TD/><TD>FSA Gossamer CK602C 30/42/52<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Bottom Bracket<TD/> <TD>TruVativ Elita GigaPipe SL ISIS<TD/> <TD>TH 7420<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Rims<TD/> <TD>Xero XSR-3<TD/> <TD>Mavic Aksium<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Hubs<TD/> <TD>Xero XSR-3<TD/> <TD>Mavic Aksium<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Spokes<TD/> <TD>Xero XSR-3<TD/> <TD>Mavic Aksium<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Tires<TD/> <TD>Michelin Dynamic, 700x 25c<TD/> <TD>Continental Ultrasport 700 x 23C<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Handlebar<TD/> <TD>Alloy Anatomic Bend<TD/> <TD>FSA RD-300 OS<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Stem<TD/> <TD>Easton EA50 6 Degree Bend<TD/> <TD>FSA ST-OS-150<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Headset<TD/> <TD>FSA Integrated Cartridge Bearing<TD/> <TD>FSA Orbit C8 Integrated<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Seat Post<TD/> <TD>Composite, 27.2x300mm<TD/> <TD>FSA SP SL-280<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Saddle<TD/> <TD>WTB Laser V Race<TD/> <TD>Selle Italia Initiale Special Edition<TD/><TR/>
<TR><TD>Pedals<TD/> <TD>Shimano M505<TD/><TD>None<TD/> <TR/>
<TR><TD>Price<TD/> <TD>$1,400.00<TD/> <TD>$1,300.00<TD/><TR/>
<TABLE/>

Yours opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well Giants are a good value

but I (MY OPINION) think their ultra compact gemoetry is Fugly. They both have Tektro brakes that are not so good. The Giant has better group (Ultegra) and the Kona has better wheels. Giants are far more common on the road. Personally I'd go for the Kona. use the 100 bucks you save to get some 105 Calipers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I do not now anything about the Kona, but I do have a OCR1. The bike is very easy to ride, very comfortable and very solid. I have had no problems with the Xero wheels or the Tektro brakes. I have over 1500 miles on this bike and it is still going strong, I also feel that Ultegra/105 group is a great package together. Do not now if the frame is able to handel a rack. About the only thing I can say bad about the bike is that it just not a fast bike, but you can ride it all day. Good luck, I now if you pick the Giant you will not go wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow - the price of the OCR-3 has really gone up. I got a 2nd hand one that was originally sold in 2001 or 2. Yellow and black with some grey trim. It cost $600 new.

It is a great bike for the money (at least the $600). It has Sora components. I clipped on some bars and did both the training and the race of an Ironman on it.
---

AH - correction - you meant the OCR-1, not the -3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about the ultra compact gemoetry ? What should I observe when I will go for a test ride ?

Why are you saying that the bike is not fast ? What make it slow ?

I went to the Giant dealer and asked him if I could switch the Xero XSR-3 for the Mavic Aksium. The switch is possible for an extra 25$. Should I make the switch ?

Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
The bike is built for comfort you are more upright in the saddle, I believe the geometry of the bike is desighned for comfort not speed. I can not explain why the bike feels slow ,it is just not as fast as other bikes I have had, probley just me. I have heard good thing about about the Mavic rims might be worth the extra money. Basicly take thy bike for as long of a ride as the dealer will let you. See if you feel comfortable on the bike, do you feel to streched out ,to confined, do you feel you are riding to high on the bike etc,etc,etc. If you are looking for reliably, comfortable ride I believe this is a really good bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts