Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am 34 years old and I just bought my first bike ever, a Cannondale Quick 5. So far, I only bought a helmet. I know there are other accessories that I will need to buy i.e. water bottle, bike shorts,etc. Unfortunately, with the weather being that way it has (thunderstorms,heavy rain,etc.), I have yet to go riding. I am looking forward to having cycling being a serious hobby. Any suggestions/pointers for a REALLY brand new aspiring cyclist will be highly appreciated! Thank you.

· Registered
70 Posts
Most important, make sure you know how to use clipless pedals if you have them.

Myself, been practicing alot before I rode my NEW road bike, yet I still fell and I scratched it up a bit. Btw, never start off on a slope, always flat. Once your pro enough on clipping in and balancing. Thats when you can.

· Registered
49 Posts
Rzail said:
Hello all,

I am 34 years old and I just bought my first bike ever, a Cannondale Quick 5. So far, I only bought a helmet. I know there are other accessories that I will need to buy i.e. water bottle, bike shorts,etc. Unfortunately, with the weather being that way it has (thunderstorms,heavy rain,etc.), I have yet to go riding. I am looking forward to having cycling being a serious hobby. Any suggestions/pointers for a REALLY brand new aspiring cyclist will be highly appreciated! Thank you.
Congrats.....just want to say...over the weekend I had a flat tire....and guess what....no pump nor C02 cartridge... I had spare tubes and tools to replace the tube, but luckily a biker stopped by half an hour later to loan me a C02 cartridge. So yes, get yourself a flat tire repair kit.... I usually just carry a couple of spare tubes, tire levers to take out the tube, a piece of towel (to clean off your hands as it could be pretty messy) and yes a pump or C02 cartridge. I always used a pump, but the C02 cartridge was sure nice. So I will purchase some. Hope this helps.

· Registered
68 Posts
A multi-tool would be good. If you're a sweater, get some shirts with wicking (I get the $12 ones from Kohl's, Tek brand, I think). If you really get into it, cycling clothes can come later. A computer is nice for mileage and speed (paying extra for additional features hasn't proven useful). I definitely recommend the clipless pedals. If you get them, loosen all the way to the "-" side and practice clipping and unclipping while leaning against something. Once comfortable, try riding in an ally, or something. Always unclip the same foot first, from the 12 o'clock position, as your slowing down. Drop the foot and leave it hanging so that your weight is going to that side when you stop. Don't bank right at a stop, while unclipping left; you'll fall. Unclip both if your standing and talking; you'll forget ones clipped in, switch your weight to it, and fall. When starting, get up to speed with only one clipped in, then clip the other.

· Registered
75 Posts
Rzail said:
Hello all,

Congrats! I'm 50 and just got MY first bike in 25-30 years. I carry a spare tube or 2 with me just in case. Hand pump, etc. Tools in my seat wedge.

HAVE FUN!

· Registered
3 Posts
Rzail said:
Hello all,

Well I am 49 and bought the same bike on August 3rd. First time I have ridden seriously in 25 years or any serious exercise in 10 years. Felt like the right thing to do and I am hooked, bought shorts, lights, tubes, pump, water bottles, etc.

My wife thought I was crazy but I think she sees that now I have something I enjoy doing other than sitting on my ass as a hobby.

It is truly exciting and I have other friends that are buying bikes because of watching how much I enjoy riding. I can wait to get away from work everyday to ride if I have time. Lost 13 days due to Hurricane IKE, there was too much debris and I did not want to ruin my bike. Things are getting back to normal and last night I was back at it and it felt so good.

Now I am looking at road bikes since the Quick 5 is a Hybrid and I want another bike in case one is in the shop.

Not having a lot of knowledge all of the brands I will be reading a lot here and trying to make sense of it all.

Look forward to being a part of this community.

Texasdad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.