Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK......after toasting a nice rig in a crit......I'm building a cheaper crit/race bike. All others have been of the rack.

I bought a (66cm) Cannondale Caad 5 frame and need a very long fork steerer. I have found a fork with a 450mm steerer but have no idea what type of headset to get.

The fork is an Alpha Q "Z".......I'm a little confused about intergrated, non intergrated and standard fork sizes.....?

appreciate help in any way. Looking at a mid level headset.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Depends...

gormleyflyer2002 said:
OK......after toasting a nice rig in a crit......I'm building a cheaper crit/race bike. All others have been of the rack.

I bought a (66cm) Cannondale Caad 5 frame and need a very long fork steerer. I have found a fork with a 450mm steerer but have no idea what type of headset to get.

The fork is an Alpha Q "Z".......I'm a little confused about intergrated, non intergrated and standard fork sizes.....?

appreciate help in any way. Looking at a mid level headset.
That's a big frame alright. Choice of headset will be guided by your frame's head tube configuration and your steerer's diameter. On that fork the steerer will be 1 1/8" diameter, and if memory serves (recent) CAAD5s take an integrated-type headset (stock fitted with with FSA orbit headset?). One of the middle-level FSA Orbit models or a Cane Creek iS-6 or iS-8 would do the job. The FSA and Cane Creek integrated models use the same Cane Creek bearing standard (35°x45° angular contact bearing, blue seal).

If that's all correct you won't need a headset press to fit headset cups - head tube ends are shaped into 'cups' that the bearings sit directly in (grease cups lightly first). Neither of those headsets uses a split-ring type crown race so maybe get a professional to fit the crown race so it's seated good and square and you don't bodge your carbon steerer.

Probably telling you how to suck eggs from here on but I've had a lot of coffee today:
Your alpha-Q Z (from memory) has a carbon steerer, so DON"T USE A STAR NUT - you'll need a compression plug instead (if you bought the fork new you should probably have received one with it, of not there are a few varieties out there - columbus 'gap caps' are good - nice and long and they 'bite' the inside of the steerer nicely without much torque needed on the fixing bolt.

A couple more points about carbon steerers - your fork is pretty sturdy and if memory serves the manufacturer doesn't limit spacer stack height on that model, but to be on the safe side check the manufacturer's fitting instructions and don't go silly. And make sure that your stem is fitted to a point on the steerer which is supported by compression plug inside - you wouldn't want to risk a litle over-zealous stem tightening crushing your steerer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.