Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first build, pls help: What grease type for which parts

Hi there,

Ready for my first build, Canyon CF SLX, DuraAce with eTap, just confused which type of grease is best for what?
I have the standard (for Swiss shops) green one, also got from FinishLine the Teflon and Ceramic ones. But confused, do they all have specific places purposes? Like due to high pressure best to use ceramic at bottom-bracket and fork ball-Bearing, at hubs teflon, or is it all a marketing hoax?

Cheers,
Dorin

·
Registered
486 Posts
Dura-Ace with etap? Grease on hubs? Fork Ball bearing? Think you should maybe have a shop build this. Do you even have the bike yet?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
^ What Ghetto said ^ You don't need any bearing grease, they're all cartridge bearings. I'd obviously grease the crap out of everything that gets pressed into the frame, but the grease doesn't need to be anything special. It really sounds like you're gonna need some help if you're referring to your parts as "Dura Ace w/ etap".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, the guys at my LBS confirmed eTap is compatible with DuraAce and Ultegra 11 speed chainsets, and haven't seen anything contrary on internet, pls point me to the info if inaccurate.

I wanted Di2 but the frame could not take the internal routing, and wanted something clean looking and eTap was the logical conclusion, if you know otherwise please let me know.

Yes, pressfit BB requires some slight grease before inserting it.

And sorry, proper word was headset bearings

No offense I took my current bikes apart multiple times, the other hobby is building RC airplanes (up to and including RC jets) so I'm not intimidated at all by puting together a bike from pieces.

Cheers,
Dorin

ps: one thread right in this forum: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/co...nning-dura-ace-9000-sram-red-etap-358031.html

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ok, that makes a little more sense. Shimano cranks and cassette/chain/brakes with etap derailleurs and shifters. Sounds ok I guess, but that front shifting may not be optimal with yaw derailleur. There will be dissenting opinions on this, and I understand this. If I were pressing cups into that frame I would use fibergrip. Then just regular old "green" grease on everything else........... interface between spindle/bearings, headset bearings/cups and or frame. Freehub body if you feel like it. Same with skewers, cassette lockring, etc. If using carbon bars without applied griping surface, use some fibergrip where the stem faceplate meets the bar, and seatpost/seat tube interface if carbon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, that makes a little more sense. Shimano cranks and cassette/chain/brakes with etap derailleurs and shifters. Sounds ok I guess, but that front shifting may not be optimal with yaw derailleur. There will be dissenting opinions on this, and I understand this. If I were pressing cups into that frame I would use fibergrip. Then just regular old "green" grease on everything else........... interface between spindle/bearings, headset bearings/cups and or frame. Freehub body if you feel like it. Same with skewers, cassette lockring, etc. If using carbon bars without applied griping surface, use some fibergrip where the stem faceplate meets the bar, and seatpost/seat tube interface if carbon.
super, many thanks! i'll use eventually Quarq DZero Carbon cranks once it gets delivered (ordered but unknown delivery time as of now) with x-glide chainrings, but till then DuraAce will have to do. i'll use the durance with stages pm to the second bike. yes, i know i will have to swap as well the bb ;)

and now back to the original question: what are the teflon/ceramic grease suitable for? is in any cases recommend to use them, or all are just greases in the end and is all marketing?

cheers

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Generally, grease is appropriate for ball bearings, threads, things like seat posts to prevent seizing (not CF posts), and I guess you can bust open a sealed cartridge bearing, degrease it and pack it with new grease.

As for teflon vs. ceramic, I guess ceramic might be better, but honestly, any good quality teflon grease is more than fine for a bike.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
As for teflon vs. ceramic, I guess ceramic might be better, but honestly, any good quality teflon grease is more than fine for a bike.
Some greases are better than others, and Campy does offer two different viscosities but as long as you have something that is not too stiff for bearings, a quality grease available in tubs at auto stores will be just fine. People really do overthink things.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Some greases are better than others, and Campy does offer two different viscosities but as long as you have something that is not too stiff for bearings, a quality grease available in tubs at auto stores will be just fine. People really do overthink things.
Well said...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts