Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday, I rode my first century. It was a casual, well supported American Lung Association fund raiser called Reach the Beach. The route went from Beaverton, Oregon to Pacific City on the coast, 101 miles, and 3700' elevation gain. It was a great day with mid 70's, sunny skies and no rain, and only moderate wind in spots. There were cyclists of all types... loads of roadies with sweet rides, a handful of bents, some tourers and hybrids, a few tandems, a couple people on folding bicycles, a single speed... and at least one hardtail mountain bike. :eek: There were rest stops every 12-15 miles offering drinks and snacks... two serving lunch, and a catered dinner and beer garden at the finish. Beer being a motivating factor the last 10 miles battling Pacific coast winds. :D

It was fun impersonating a roadie for the day. I think I was the only one leaving Beaverton riding a 34 lb mountain rig. I slapped some 26x1.5 Schwalbe Street Cruisers on my Kona Hoss and hit the road. I got a few funny looks and joking wisecracks about my ride, all in fun of course. My buddy and I had a rolling average of 17 mph. I know that's slow, but I'm happy with our performance... my previous long ride was 21 miles.

There weren't really any climbs of note... the steepest was a short 9.5% pitch, then a 1/4 mile 7.5% hill. Other than that, the average grade was pretty mellow. The scenery was nice with small towns, rolling hills, vineyards, forests, rivers, and the beach. If I make longer rides like this a habit, I will have to invest in a decent road bike. I lost speed to my buddy (on a Fuji Rubaix Pro) going down hill, and if it weren't for my decent fitness level, he would have dusted me on the up hill.

All in all, it was a fun day for a good cause. I'd do it again... and I'd ride my Kona unless I can somehow justify to myself and my wife that I need another bike.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
[It was fun impersonating a roadie for the day. I think I was the only one leaving Beaverton riding a 34 lb mountain rig. I slapped some 26x1.5 Schwalbe Street Cruisers on my Kona Hoss and hit the road. I got a few funny looks and joking wisecracks about my ride, all in fun of course. My buddy and I had a rolling average of 17 mph. I know that's slow, but I'm happy with our performance... my previous long ride was 21 miles. ]

Congratulations. But I must correct you. You weren't impersonating a roadie, you WERE a roadie for the day.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of riders don't really care what other people ride, only what THEY ride. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. Post some pics if you have them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigrider said:
Congratulations. But I must correct you. You weren't impersonating a roadie, you WERE a roadie for the day.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of riders don't really care what other people ride, only what THEY ride. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. Post some pics if you have them.
Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics. My digital camera isn't compact enough to comfortably fit in a jersey pocket. I've got a GPS track though. I'll post that later this evening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.