Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know several will be unimpressed but I did it. I completed the hundred mile in under 6 hours, of which I'm proud, and learned a few things along the way.

First, don't do your first century on a 90 degree day with a gazillion percent humidity. If you do, make sure your route is tree lined.

Second, probably best to stick an organized century the first time around. I made up my own by riding to and from the club ride. It would have been nice to have a sag around mile 80 to refill the water bottles. I also got a little lost on the way home. I ran out of gas the the last 10-15 miles and the sag and not adding another 4 miles on top of the hundred would have helped.

I took a bit more of a beating than I was expecting but got it done. If your thinking of doing your first century, go for it. Listen to the advice you get about eating and drinking plenty. Pick a moderate pace, no need to hammer but you don't want to be out there forever.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well done! :)

One other piece of advice is to include gas stations or other "rest stops" in your route so you can pick up supplies or just refill your bottles somewhere. Doing it with a group to take advantage of a paceline is also a good idea, well unless you're an idjiot like me and pull just about the entire way and all but bonk not too far from the end.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
awesome! I did my first century this spring also (solo), it's a good feeling to get it out of your system, isn't it?!

Even though they are usually talked about in the beginners forum, first centuries are no small undertaking!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Congrats! Good observations & tips as well. Conserving energy at the start keeps you from suffering to get home.

I also did my 1st century by continuing to pedal on after a scheduled club ride. Having lived in South Texas years ago, I had mapped out my water refill options ahead of time. I kept a conservative pace until the last 15mi & at the finish still felt like I could have gone farther. Probably a good thing. If you feel like total crap after your 1st century, you are less likely to want to do another. In fairness, though, I had done a number of metrics (100k) in the weeks before my first real century.
Funny thing is- I still remember when I thought 20mi was a LONG ride ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.