Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hadn't planned on doing it, my ride plan for the day was to do an out an back to the top of Crawford Notch here in NH, which still would have been a pretty epic ride for me all by itself. and on the way out my legs weren't feeling that great. it may have been the heat, or the slight headwind, or the slight gradient rise most of the way. but i just felt kinda tired and dragging.

but at the top, i saw i'd come 35 miles, so i'd have close to 70 by the time i got back home, so i started thinking about it. and how often would i be motivated to hop on the bike and churn out 100 miles? and on the return trip, the combination of slight downhill and tailwind, and the water and gatorade i'd been slinging into me, and my legs were feeling pretty good, and i didn't want to stop. so i decided to go for it.

so i stopped at a small store and reloaded my water and gatorade, stopped a little later for a sandwich, and stuck to the flattest roads i knew for the last forty miles. my legs were pretty good the entire time, but toward the end, my ass was killing me.

final tally: 100.33 miles

total time: 8:32:30

time on bike: 7:25:26

average speed: 13.5 mph

·
Registered
189 Posts
Congrats...

on your first century. I'm impressed that you chose to do it in the "hills" of NH.

So can you give a more specific route? I'm in CT and we may bring my son to Story Land later this summer. I thought I'd bring the bike along and have a nice route picked out that starts somewhere near Story Land, goes over BNR and west on the Kanc. Then thru Franconia notch and east to 302 and Crawford back to my starting point. It's about 75 miles with 6k of climbing and I'm wondering how the roads are on all those routes?

Thanks.

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
PCM said:
on your first century. I'm impressed that you chose to do it in the "hills" of NH.

So can you give a more specific route? I'm in CT and we may bring my son to Story Land later this summer. I thought I'd bring the bike along and have a nice route picked out that starts somewhere near Story Land, goes over BNR and west on the Kanc. Then thru Franconia notch and east to 302 and Crawford back to my starting point. It's about 75 miles with 6k of climbing and I'm wondering how the roads are on all those routes?

Thanks.
this is a rough idea of the route i took. the light green is the path i took up to and back from Crawford Notch. the light pink is what i did to add on the final forty miles to my trip. Basically i did from Conway, through Redstone and N. Conway up to the Appalachian Club House at the top of Crawford Notch and back down through N. Conway. from there through Redstone again over to Fryeburg, Maine, a loop around town and back up to Redstone via East Conway Road, back through North Conway to River Road, and back to Conway via West Side Road, then a couple small loops to get the last few miles in. the last part mostly flat to slightly rolling roads.

that's a pretty good route for you to take, known locally as the Four Notch Loop, or something like that. Bear Notch and the other side of the Kanc will be the only bad pavement/narrow shoulder areas you'll have. the rest is generally wide highway with fairly generous shoulders, good surfaces.

the other one you might wish to consider is over Pinkham Notch to Gorham on Route 16, right onto Route 2 to Gilead, right onto Route 113(Evans Notch) to Stow, and then the back roads from Stow through North Fryeburg up to North Conway and then back onto Route 16 to where you started. roads aren't as good generally, and not as wide, but not as heavily travelled for the most part either. and Evans Notch is a nicer road to ride than either Franconia Notch or Crawford. more like Bear Notch Road or the Kanc.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Awesome!

It's funny how a little number like 100 can seem so far away. Awesome job and now you'll always know you can push that far or further!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.