Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lesson number 1: brink extra socks. My feets were soaked.

Lesson number 2: These panniers are awesome. When I got to work they (not to mention my legs and back) were covered in all kinds of nasty road gunk (I should have gotten those fenders sooner rather than later) but my clothes and everything were nice and dry.

Lesson number 3: my cheap hi-vis rain jacket from Performance saved my butt from getting totally soaked, and it actually had pretty good ventilation. I'm usually really sensitive to my clothes not breathing, but so long as I was moving, the jacket did well to let out the hot air.

Lesson number 4: I am no longer a fair weather only rider :)

joe

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
What is this so-called "rain" of which you speak?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Ship your socks in an armored car?!?

JoeDaddio said:
Correct Lesson #1 Keep spares at work.

JoeDaddio said:
....Lesson number 2: These panniers are awesome. When I got to work they (not to mention my legs and back) were covered in all kinds of nasty road gunk (I should have gotten those fenders sooner rather than later) but my clothes and everything were nice and dry.......
Correct Lesson #2 Sooner is better than later, fenders are better than nasty road gunk.

JoeDaddio said:
....Lesson number 3: my cheap hi-vis rain jacket from Performance saved my butt from getting totally soaked, and it actually had pretty good ventilation. I'm usually really sensitive to my clothes not breathing, but so long as I was moving, the jacket did well to let out the hot air.....
Correct Lesson #3 Cut the arm cuffs off and/or change the thing into a short sleeve rain jacket.

JoeDaddio said:
....I am no longer a fair weather only rider :)
joe
Final Exam Score=A+++

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
joe
Man, I still remember the day I learned lesson #1... nothing better than squishing yer way around the office for the rest of the day...

Can I suggest a lesson 2.5? No bag is waterproof forever...

Congrats on the rain ride!

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
you rawk Joe Daddio! i'm hoping to get fenders on my commuting rig before the summer rain pattern starts. oh and I wear flip flops at the office, it's quite liberating.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bigbill said:
Get some Lake SPD sandals and you won't have to worry about wet socks.

It was pretty chilly here on the ride in. I'm thinking of some kind of waterproof bootie. I'd have to get something on the cheap as it wouldn't get used too often here in So. Cal. though.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gutfiddle said:
you rawk Joe Daddio! i'm hoping to get fenders on my commuting rig before the summer rain pattern starts. oh and I wear flip flops at the office, it's quite liberating.

Can I have a job?

joe

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Cheap? You want cheap?

JoeDaddio said:
It was pretty chilly here on the ride in. I'm thinking of some kind of waterproof bootie. I'd have to get something on the cheap as it wouldn't get used too often here in So. Cal. though.

joe
Slip your sock feet into plastic grocery bags (recycling dude!) before putting on your shoes.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
MB1 said:
Slip your sock feet into plastic grocery bags (recycling dude!) before putting on your shoes.
+1... Though I put my socks on first, then the bags... Feet feel less clammy.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Do you have a better picture of your rack and pannier. I am in the market for one, what brand are they.

·
Registered
938 Posts
OK, I just noticed it said Novara on the bag.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Rain Feet...

I put the plastic bags over my shoes and socks, held on with lots of rubber bands (for an aero effect, ha!) It's not waterproof completely or forever, but it lasts a surprizingly long time. It's pretty high on the dorkiness scale but with dry feet, I really don't mind too much...

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I sold my car last year and went down to a one car family, so i started communting total 1800 miles. My first rain ride was a riot. I didnt have fenders (to dorky) so the water was coming up off the wheel, hitting the wind, and right into my face. LOL LOL I couldnt see jack. LOL LOL So i bought fenders the next day and havnt looked back. I cant wait to get home and start riding again.

Bill

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks for the info Joe. The pannier is a bit more than what I wanted spend.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.