Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I was considering making a move at work so that I could report to a different Base and consider commuting. I did not think I could safely ride to my current base (Norfolk Naval Shipyard). After consulting with Bigbill about the commute to the other Naval Base I kind of got the impression that he felt it was not as good as the commute to NNSY.

After thinking about it more I decided to try and figure out a decent route. I used google maps to scope out a route and than consulted back with Bill to refine it even more. It turns out that his old house would be on my route so I would basically be making the same ride. I drove it to and from work a few times to get a feel for it.

Since I hate cold weather I was going to wait to start for at least a few more weeks until I got the idea to ride into work with a very good friend and ride my bike home in the afternoon when it's warmer. He lives just down the street and drives a pick up.

Added to that he goes in an hour early every day so that would allow me to adjust my schedule (very flexible) and leave the shipyard before 3:00 to beat any heavy traffic.

My first go at it was today. The only screw up was I forgot my gov't badge so I had to walk around all day with "DA" badge.

The ride home (16+ miles) went great. Not riding much for the last 3 months really slowed me down but the traffic and roads were GREAT. I was amazed at how well it went. The only close calls were when I relaxed because I was just a few blocks from the house.

I knew I might want to bailout for some breaks on the side walk so a started by riding the pig (K2 Evo FS MTB with semi slicks). It took me about 1 hour 25 minutes. About 10 more than I figured. I could easily save some time on my road bike but I think I will stick the pig for now. It did start to get a little chilly as I got home but never really bad.

Tomorrow the high is only going to be in the low 40s (vice 49 and sunny today) but most of next week is looking good. The one way ride is really going to work out great until I get my legs ready (and it warms up) for the two way ride.

One of my riding buddies at work also got fired up with the idea and since he is not a wuss he did his first two way commute today as well. His is 25 miles each way.

It was kind of funny but we were like parents seeing the children off for the first day at school. I stood at the front window in the morning waiting for him to ride up and he and some other friends were there in the afternoon to see me off.

I could easily see where this could justify another bike. I'll just convince the wife it's a Safety issue.

Thank You Bigbill I would have never tried it without your input.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Lifelover said:
Recently I was considering making a move at work so that I could report to a different Base and consider commuting. I did not think I could safely ride to my current base (Norfolk Naval Shipyard). After consulting with Bigbill about the commute to the other Naval Base I kind of got the impression that he felt it was not as good as the commute to NNSY.

After thinking about it more I decided to try and figure out a decent route. I used google maps to scope out a route and than consulted back with Bill to refine it even more. It turns out that his old house would be on my route so I would basically be making the same ride. I drove it to and from work a few times to get a feel for it.

Since I hate cold weather I was going to wait to start for at least a few more weeks until I got the idea to ride into work with a very good friend and ride my bike home in the afternoon when it's warmer. He lives just down the street and drives a pick up.

Added to that he goes in an hour early every day so that would allow me to adjust my schedule (very flexible) and leave the shipyard before 3:00 to beat any heavy traffic.

My first go at it was today. The only screw up was I forgot my gov't badge so I had to walk around all day with "DA" badge.

The ride home (16+ miles) went great. Not riding much for the last 3 months really slowed me down but the traffic and roads were GREAT. I was amazed at how well it went. The only close calls were when I relaxed because I was just a few blocks from the house.

I knew I might want to bailout for some breaks on the side walk so a started by riding the pig (K2 Evo FS MTB with semi slicks). It took me about 1 hour 25 minutes. About 10 more than I figured. I could easily save some time on my road bike but I think I will stick the pig for now. It did start to get a little chilly as I got home but never really bad.

Tomorrow the high is only going to be in the low 40s (vice 49 and sunny today) but most of next week is looking good. The one way ride is really going to work out great until I get my legs ready (and it warms up) for the two way ride.

One of my riding buddies at work also got fired up with the idea and since he is not a wuss he did his first two way commute today as well. His is 25 miles each way.

It was kind of funny but we were like parents seeing the children off for the first day at school. I stood at the front window in the morning waiting for him to ride up and he and some other friends were there in the afternoon to see me off.

I could easily see where this could justify another bike. I'll just convince the wife it's a Safety issue.

Thank You Bigbill I would have never tried it without your input.
You are very welcome. Oddly enough I drove to work today for the first time this year. It was a heavy downpour with thunder, lightning and local flooding. That and I had to be at work at 0445.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Pretty awesome. I ride my "pig" to work also. A 2003 Hollowpoint coming in at 29lbs. Add the 2.3 tires and it is like trying to ride a chunk of lead compared to my roadbike. But unfortunately the roads in the neighborhoods I have to ride through are a mine field of debris, lots and lots of broken Red Wolf Vodka bottles, and other problems. I've found the MTB to be fantastic as I can cut through back alleys, through dirt lots, over curbs, whatever. Of course my ride is a lot shorter though. My out of the way route is only about 7 miles long.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ridgetop said:
Pretty awesome. I ride my "pig" to work also. A 2003 Hollowpoint coming in at 29lbs. Add the 2.3 tires and it is like trying to ride a chunk of lead compared to my roadbike. But unfortunately the roads in the neighborhoods I have to ride through are a mine field of debris, lots and lots of broken Red Wolf Vodka bottles, and other problems. I've found the MTB to be fantastic as I can cut through back alleys, through dirt lots, over curbs, whatever. Of course my ride is a lot shorter though. My out of the way route is only about 7 miles long.
I'm a firm believer that a mtb with the right tires can be wonderful for many types of road riding. I do almost half my miles on the pig or the Beast (a SS Cdale Mtb). It is the only way I will ride after dark.

I find that on a mtb you don't have to worry as much about the little things in the road(pot holes, sticks, rocks, etc.) so you are freed up to keep your eyes down the road. In addition, with the equal amount of effort you go slower which also is safer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts