Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cobalt Thorium G?
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here at the Commuting & Touring forum for sometime, thinking about taking the plunge myself. There were too many obstacles in the way to allow it to come to fruition, primarily working 12 hour shifts. Last month my schedule changed giving me the time to commute, so I started last week.

My ride is 32 miles one way, and it goes from urban sprawl to rural farmlands (or vice verse).

I'm still working out the kinks, but right now I drive in and ride home. The next morning my wife drops me off at the halfway point, then I ride in from that point. So far, everything has worked out pretty well. Since I know it can't be a ride report without pictures, here is you visage:

1. I'm a GI stationed at McChord AFB, in Tacoma, WA. My ride takes me past the base museum, where there are a number of nice birds on static display. I'm particularly fond of this F-106.

2. Out the back gate, and on to the roads. Nice shoulder / bike lane makes this portion of the ride pretty comfortable.

3 & 4 Leaving the urban sprawl area headed into the more suburban areas. The roads here have less traffic, and smaller shoulder, but its still good riding.

5 & 6 Heading into area with more industrial areas than suburban. Lots of construction, lots of traffic, only fair sized shoulders. I've got to keep my eyes open around this intersection.

7. Want CF parts? This is the plant where Boeing makes theirs. It’s also the reason for all of the construction.

8. The black spot to the lower left of the picture is the only evidence I could find from an accident that happened on Friday. A Corvette rear ended a truck and burst into flames. Traffic was backed up for miles, while I worked my way to the front. By the time I got there the Fire Dept was packing up. I didn't see an aid car / ambulance so I'm assuming nobody was hurt. Riding past the burnt out hulk of somebody’s dreams, was a pretty interesting sight for my first day commuting. I was glad I was on my bike.

9. Shortcut through a nice neighborhood.

10. &11. I like my bike better

12. 1.5 miles on a 6 lane speedway

13. Headed for the more rural portion of the ride

14. Descending into the Orting valley

15. I didn't even know this existed until I started scouting for a route.

16. Crossing over the Puyallup River (pronounced "pyoo-al-up")

17. Nice old barn. I need to take a bit more time get a better picture.

18. Onto the Foothills Trail. I ride about 8 miles on this MUT, which runs along the Carbon River.

19. The Carbon River looking to the NE toward Mt Rainier

20. & 21. Nice quite portion of the trail. In one of the most remote portions, REI donated the money for a nice rest stop.

22. Off the trail, back onto the roads. This time I'm way out in the country.

23. Mt Rainier obscured in clouds

24. Almost home! 3 mile to go from the light ahead

Flounder

·
Registered
210 Posts
Excellent!

Great photos! Nothing compares to Cascade mountains, not even here in Colorado. I use to commute from Alki to Downtown Seattle and always enjoy scenery of Downtown Seattle w/ the Cascade in background.

For now I'll have to settle for the Flatiron here in Boulder Colorado. It's not bad but its no Cascade.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Nice pictures. Good idea with the seat bag mounted on the front supports of the rack. Definately frees up some space in the rack bag. I carry too much stuff as it is. One tip to pass on, my rack bag has a key clip inside that I hang a small (single AAA) flashlight from. If I need to find something or need light otherwise, I don't have to dig around for it. Really comes in handy if you commute in areas without much light.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Nice pics. Congrats on "getting your feet wet" with your 1st commute. Careful though, it's kind of addictive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great Post

Great post. Sounds like that commute will make for good PT. Love the bike by the way, I've got a Kona Sutra myself and have since put all the other bikes away. Ride it on the roads, use it as a mountain bike and just generally love the hell out of it.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
That is one heck of a commute.

Looks like it has a little bit of everything. Nice photography too.

Keep us up to date as spring comes along.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Looks great. I just started up again myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts