Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not bad...but it hurt. I finished the 5k,20k,5k race in just over 90 minutes. Next time (yes, there will be a next time) I'll actually train for it.

Not to go into detail (or complain) but the running distance was off. Everyone agreed. At the 1 mile mark, my split time was 6:50 - WAY too fast for me. At the 2 mile mark, my split time was 17:01...huh?? Did I really slow from a 6:50 mile pace to over 10min/mile pace for the second mile??. No way. I may have slowed somewhat...but not that much. Something was wrong with the distances. The consensus of the group was that the 5k course was really 5.5k course. Who knows??

The 20k bike route was rolling. It measure 12.9 miles on my computer. Close enough. I averaged about 21mph until I hit the last 2 miles which were uphill into the teeth of a 20mph wind. My speed dropped to about 13mph. I still did the 20k in under 40 minutes.

The first 1/2 mile of the second 5.5k course was killer. My left calf cramped like crazy but I wasn't going to stop unless I had to fall down. After a mile or so, the cramp eased and I got into a rhythm. I ran the second leg about 30 seconds slower than the first 5.5k.

All in all, I'm glad I did it. A great sense of accomplishment. A few things I learned which will help me in the future:
1. Train. Really train. Do a brick beforehand. Push myself on my running instead of jogging.
2. Use my bike with aerobars vs my superlight road bike
3. Drop 10lbs....you tri guys are skinny!!
4. I ran in running shorts and cycling jersey. Next time I'll reverse it and run in cycling shorts and a singlet
5. Wear cycling gloves from the start. A personal thing: I can't stand riding without gloves
6. Get some sort of elastic quick ties for my running shoes. Sitting on my a$$ trying to tie shoes sucks

Thanks for all the input last week. It helped. Paul

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
Congrats

Congrats on a good race.

I absolutely hate running but for some reason duathlon's are addictive. Keep it up, the running thing will get better. The bike to run transition will always stink, but it stinks for everyone.......

Good job, thanks for letting us know how it went.

·
Opus was just napping
22,325 Posts
Nice job...now give up that first running leg for a nice group swim.;)

As for your shoes...don't know if this would work for you but when I get a new pair I tie and untie them during training until I find a nice comfy fit. Then it gets triple knotted and I just slip in and out from that moment forward. My current pair of asics has about 200 miles in them...all except about the first 5 runs...they have never been untied.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Left out some important details....

PaulCL said:
Not bad...but it hurt. I finished the 5k,20k,5k race in just over 90 minutes. Next time (yes, there will be a next time) I'll actually train for it.
1. Train. Really train. Do a brick beforehand. Push myself on my running instead of jogging.
4. I ran in running shorts and cycling jersey. Next time I'll reverse it and run in cycling shorts and a singlet
5. Wear cycling gloves from the start. A personal thing: I can't stand riding without gloves
6. Get some sort of elastic quick ties for my running shoes. Sitting on my a$$ trying to tie shoes sucks

How much time did you spend in the transition area? Point 6 gives me an idea that you may have spent a bit more than planned.

On a 5/20/5, there is NO time for transition. You run in, jump on your bike and go. At the end of the bike, you park, jump off and go.

I know this is a roadie board and my flame suitl is ready. No cycling shoes for this race. This kind of race is a runners 10k with a break half way between the 10k. I'd bet you could have taken off 5 minutes total time by skipping the shoe changes.

For a ride that short, I'd used some platforms and toe clips. Remember, if Eddy could beat them all in toeclips, then they must still be pretty effective. I know, just the idea of showing up on your ultra sweet ride with 1970's pedal technology hurts, but 5 minutes may have placed you in a spot for an age group award....

Even though these races are painful, they are my favorite. Sounds like you are hooked too. I wish there were more of these around.

·
Opus was just napping
22,325 Posts
racerx said:
How much time did you spend in the transition area? Point 6 gives me an idea that you may have spent a bit more than planned.

On a 5/20/5, there is NO time for transition. You run in, jump on your bike and go. At the end of the bike, you park, jump off and go.

I know this is a roadie board and my flame suitl is ready. No cycling shoes for this race. This kind of race is a runners 10k with a break half way between the 10k. I'd bet you could have taken off 5 minutes total time by skipping the shoe changes.

For a ride that short, I'd used some platforms and toe clips. Remember, if Eddy could beat them all in toeclips, then they must still be pretty effective. I know, just the idea of showing up on your ultra sweet ride with 1970's pedal technology hurts, but 5 minutes may have placed you in a spot for an age group award....

Even though these races are painful, they are my favorite. Sounds like you are hooked too. I wish there were more of these around.
The leaders/winners of the tri's I have done spent two and a half minutes or less total in transition (an average of 50 seconds after the swim and just over a minute after the bike.) And they ALL wear bike shoes. All you do is clip them on your bike before hand, since you cannot mount the bike until you leave the transition area you just slip into your bike shoes instead of clipping in. It takes no extra time at all.

People who spend five minutes in transition areas are not competing they are there for the enjoyment of compition and for enjoying their experience...or they are taking a smoke break.

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
PaulCL said:
Not bad...but it hurt. I finished the 5k,20k,5k race in just over 90 minutes. Next time (yes, there will be a next time) I'll actually train for it...

...All in all, I'm glad I did it. A great sense of accomplishment. A few things I learned which will help me in the future:

Nice job, Paul! I'm glad it was a positive experience for you.
In response to what you've learned for the future I'd say:

1. Training is important. My buddy is doing one next weekend, but he only spends maybe 2 hours a week riding and wonders why he gets worked on the bike. Granted, he's usually in the top 3 after the run, so he's not in a position to pick up many places on the bike.

2. Since drafting is illegal at nearly every triathlon or duathlon, aerobars are nice to have.

3. Just keep running, you'll drop 10 lbs.

4. Just wear your cycling clothing or get some triathlon specific gear. I'm thinking of wearing a cycling jersey for my next marathon since my running shorts don't have pockets to keep my Gu.

5. Good idea.

6. You have plenty of options here: your idea is a good one, or just wear running shoes w/ toe clips as another poster suggested.

Bonus: It's no surprise that the distances might have been off for your race. The last sprint duathlon I did was supposed to be 11 mi. of biking, but it was barely 10. I should've driven the course early that morning to find out.

Hope to see you at a duathlon sometime.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
transition time + more questions

My transition time wasn't bad. I didn't time myself, but I would guess less than a minute run to bike but about 2-3 minutes bike to run. I had to sit down...OK...I almost lost my balance putting my running shoes back on. I ended up on my keester trying to put running shoes on without sitting down. Next time, I will get speed laces for the shoes (ordering today) and clip my cycling shoes into my pedals before the race. I imagine those two action would have saved me at least 2 minutes.

With a days' hindsight - and the next day's body aches - I feel pretty good about my accomplishment. On the runs, I was passed by about 10 people and passed the same number myself. On the ride portion, I passed about 25 riders and was passed by only three. Each of the three that passed my were on TT- specific bikes. Two of the three were attractive females....so I followed them for a while. Hey, gotta take the inspiration when you can get it. Right??

A question for next time..... During the ride portion, my constant thought was to ride conservatively. To hold back for the run. I had a lot of gas in my tank on the ride and could have cranked it up a couple notches but I was worried about the next run. Did I do the right thing or should I have let it rip in the ride?? Also, as a roadie at heart, it was so counter-intuitive not to jump on someone's wheel.

Thanks again for all the input. The next Duo is May 21st....gotta check with the "boss" to see if I'm free. I'm gonna do it again.

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
PaulCL said:
...With a days' hindsight - and the next day's body aches - I feel pretty good about my accomplishment. On the runs, I was passed by about 10 people and passed the same number myself. On the ride portion, I passed about 25 riders and was passed by only three. Each of the three that passed my were on TT- specific bikes. Two of the three were attractive females....so I followed them for a while. Hey, gotta take the inspiration when you can get it. Right??

A question for next time..... During the ride portion, my constant thought was to ride conservatively. To hold back for the run. I had a lot of gas in my tank on the ride and could have cranked it up a couple notches but I was worried about the next run. Did I do the right thing or should I have let it rip in the ride?? Also, as a roadie at heart, it was so counter-intuitive not to jump on someone's wheel...
Attractive females are an excellent source of inspiration, so you must follow them. It may even be worth the time penalty if drafting is illegal at your race. ;)

As for your question about holding back on the ride, I think it would be best to play to your strengths (in your case, let it rip on the ride). I'm not an exercise physiologist, but I don't think holding back on the bike would help you too much on the run because your leg muscles work differently on the bike than they do on the run. I might be wrong though, and it wouldn't be the first time. :D

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
transition time part 2

Run1stBike2nd said:
Attractive females are an excellent source of inspiration, so you must follow them. It may even be worth the time penalty if drafting is illegal at your race. ;)

As for your question about holding back on the ride, I think it would be best to play to your strengths (in your case, let it rip on the ride). I'm not an exercise physiologist, but I don't think holding back on the bike would help you too much on the run because your leg muscles work differently on the bike than they do on the run. I might be wrong though, and it wouldn't be the first time. :D
They posted our times...

My transition time was very consistent...bad. 1:54 for each transition. Also my 5k time (or 5.5k time) was consistent at an 8 min/mile pace each time. That just doesn't feel right. I'm not a fast runner (yet) but I was faster than that. By the way...I came in 4th place (no - not out of 4 participants!!) in my age/weight division. Ages 40 - 49, 185 - 199lbs. I missed getting one of those itty, bitty, little trophies by about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There's a Duathlon this weekend I've been thinking about doing I was waiting for the weather report to see what it is going to do. It is 5K run 30K bike and 5K run I've been training for a sprint tri this summer. So I was going to use the Duathlon to get a feel for the transitions. I've done some running after riding and the last time I did I got a cramp in my calf. How did you work through the cramp?

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kept running

Neibe said:
There's a Duathlon this weekend I've been thinking about doing I was waiting for the weather report to see what it is going to do. It is 5K run 30K bike and 5K run I've been training for a sprint tri this summer. So I was going to use the Duathlon to get a feel for the transitions. I've done some running after riding and the last time I did I got a cramp in my calf. How did you work through the cramp?
I cramped 200 meters into the second run. It got worse over the next quarter mile. I just kept running hoping it would ease. It eased. I just was not going to quit with only about 4k of running to do...no way!

·
Opus was just napping
22,325 Posts
Neibe said:
As you are about to come into the transition off the bike and on the run, you might try to give yourself the "long calf" stretch by dipping your heal down and stretching into the calf. Try to feel it lengthen as you slow into the transition area. Doing multiple bricks will make this transition easier (one a week is a nice start).

·
Registered
308 Posts
all things considered, nice job!

PaulCL said:

At the 1 mile mark, my split time was 6:50 - WAY too fast for me. At the 2 mile mark, my split time was 17:01...huh?? Did I really slow from a 6:50 mile pace to over 10min/mile pace for the second mile??. No way. I may have slowed somewhat...but not that much. Something was wrong with the distances. The consensus of the group was that the 5k course was really 5.5k course. Who knows??

. My left calf cramped like crazy but I wasn't going to stop unless I had to fall down. After a mile or so, the cramp eased and I got into a rhythm. I ran the second leg about 30 seconds slower than the first 5.5k.

Considering your plan of attack was from the couch to the starting line, you receive bonus points. Racer X has an excellent point with the platform pedals for duathlons of this distance, definitely a time saver, no shoe change. I've never tried them, but by design they look effective, especially in sprint distance scenarios. Common sense tells me you shouldn't have cramped at this distance unless of course you didn't train for it, which you stated earlier! Finally, it really urinates me off when the mile markers are inaccurate on the run. IMHO, this is unacceptable, especially in today's technological world of GPS. Heck, If I was the race director, I would have measured it the old fashion way with a rollatape measuring wheel, accurate enough for the chicks I date!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
yep, you gotta do those bricks. my legs felt like lead on the last leg of my first duathlon. I actually still ran a lot faster than I thought I could - I was in really good shape that time. the second one, I was not in good shape at all; I had a good ride, but I died a thousand deaths on the run. both times, the next day, I could barely walk. splash water over your head every chance you get.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
Nice writeup. I think i'd like to try one of these. I haven't ran in years, so it would be a long time before I was ready.

There is a school with a track near the house I just bought, so that might be the perfect opportunity to start running.

Also, what is a "brick"?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Confucious says:

Also, what is a "brick"?[/QUOTE]

Grasshopper,
A brick is a hardened rectangular block of clay hardened by drying in the sun or burning in a kiln. :) My interpretation of a brick is a double workout, one after the other. In this application, a run followed by a bike ride or vice versa.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.