Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I rode to work today. After weeks of trying to convince myself, I finally did it, and I loved it! The 11-mile (one way) commute took me 45 minutes...only 15 minutes longer than in the car!

Since part of my ride is off-road, I decided to put 1.5-inch tires on my MTB and give it a shot. I've since decided that if I can stick with it for another month or so, I'll probably invest in a cyclocross bike, since the MTB was pretty slow and uncomfortable. Plus, my MTB is pretty nice, so I don't want to use it as a dedicate commuter.

I now see what all the fuss is about. I was very reluctant to try commuting, but most of my reservations turned out to be unfounded. It turned out to be almost as easy as driving, and the sense of accomplishment I feel is great! Thanks to all on this forum for the motivation!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Congratulations! I wish my ride was closer to 11 miles. i am only about 3 mile one way and by the time i get to where i am going i am just getting comfortbale and warm. Sounds like the on road/off road mix would make for a great change of scenery and at least part of your ride you dont have to think about crazy drivers. Keep it up.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
It may not be much longer till you can't stand to drive.

dez182 said:
Well, I rode to work today. After weeks of trying to convince myself, I finally did it, and I loved it! The 11-mile (one way) commute took me 45 minutes...only 15 minutes longer than in the car!

Since part of my ride is off-road, I decided to put 1.5-inch tires on my MTB and give it a shot. I've since decided that if I can stick with it for another month or so, I'll probably invest in a cyclocross bike, since the MTB was pretty slow and uncomfortable. Plus, my MTB is pretty nice, so I don't want to use it as a dedicate commuter.

I now see what all the fuss is about. I was very reluctant to try commuting, but most of my reservations turned out to be unfounded. It turned out to be almost as easy as driving, and the sense of accomplishment I feel is great! Thanks to all on this forum for the motivation!
Good job, now get to work..... ;-)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yep...nicely done! I am amazed how much better I feel about a ride once I am on the bike. It can be raining, windy, cold, hot, whatever, but once I start riding it isn't ever all that bad.

Enjoy it! :cool:

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Nice work.

I love riding to work, but 16.5 miles each way is quite a drain. I just started a less than a month ago, and yesterday's ride home was killer. the fitness is coming and the commute time is dropping nicely, but I had a head wind almost all the way home, and I was toast when I finally got home. Nothing like 80 minutes of peace and quiet to clear your mind. I am hoping to do 2-3 days a week until the cold comes back, should be an excellent summer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sweet!! Today was my first commute in downtown Atlanta. I moved here a bit over a year ago and finally did it. I was hit by someone opening a car door on me in the bike lane one night a couple of years ago and I've been skittish about traffic since then. But today, I said the hell with it and went to work. It's only like 4 or 5 miles but it was quite a good feeling when I got here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i agree with sledgehammer, the ride how however long or short you make it is always some great decompression time. That is true for me even on the days when i have to sit in Houston traffic which by the way was vote one of the three worst cities to bike in in Bicycling's last issue. The ride home gives me good seperation between what is often long work days and home. Once you get comfortable with the conditions you will more than understand.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I ride my MTB each day to work. Lousy commuter but survives the glass jungle. Congrats and hope you end up loving it as much as I am. I took a few months off with all the snow we had and now that I'm back into it I can't believe how much I missed it. Now if spring would just start to poke out of the cold.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Superb!

My congratulations on your action stage of change: to a healthier and more productive you!
Let us not forget of the added mental health benefit: a great natural "anti-depressant", as your endorphins soar and meet your past memories, as if you were "time travelling" for a moment...now that is a thrill and joy!
dez182 said:

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Saw-wheat!!

dez182 said:

you can cut your commute time with slick tires or a cross bike, definitely. I'm about 10 minutes fast on a SS than I was on a hybrid with MTB tires. 11 miles one-way is a good work out, my commute is only about five. the car barely gets a work out during the week. the cars do take some getting used to and you might find yourself using the middle finger more, but use it sparingly and not with guys who might jump out and give you a fist back. I ride with a chipped shoulder just to keep alive somedays...so it sounds like the offroad portion is wonderful to me. remember to give yourself space off of parked cars in case a door opens (approx. 3 feet usually) and look for people sitting in parked cars. eye contact is key, hand signals when they are useful to drivers (I rarely signal when no one is around)...and keep it up!

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Great job. Keep it up. I commute 14 miles round trip with half of that late at night and it's great. I work minight to 8 and although the traffic is bad sometimes when they're is no shoulder I still have a good time.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Congrats man! I made the jump a few months ago, and whenever I have to drive I feel miserable all day long, even though my ride is only 8 mi. round trip. It really makes me feel better. Both physically, and personally, and I'm sure it'll have the same effect on you. Keep it up man! And if you've got a camera, give us a tour of your commute!

joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.