Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Monday off so I decided to ride Angeles Crest Highway (just north of Los Angeles). I've never ridden up there before but I figured I should be able to do it. Since I had the whole day off, I decided to make it into a century, it would be my third century, the first two were pretty flat (Palm Springs and LA River Ride). I heard that water would be important so I packed two 20 oz bottles with gatorade and 100 oz of water in my camelbak.

Weather was great! It wasn't too hot (I started at 7 AM) in the beginning and by the time it was noon, I was high enough that when I was descending, I was a bit chilled. By mile 65, I ran out of water. :cryin: Thankfully I was on my way back. I looked up the Planet Ultra's Century and I think I rode most of it, with the exception of riding up to Mt Wilson.

The only way to start off the ride:

Some scenic views:

My very First tunnel! I think this is on Angeles Forest Hwy. You don't realize it but when you're riding uphill, you go very slowly through the tunnel. If a distracted driver came rushing upon you... not good. Thankfully, the day was quiet and not very many drivers. I think I saw more forest service vehicles than cars.

Hidden Springs Cafe to pick up supplies if needed. I had only drank half a bottle so I didn't stop:

The smooth roads of Upper Big Tujunga:

After turning left on Angeles Crest Hwy, I was looking for interesting things to photograph. I remember seeing the 5000 ft elevation sign but didn't stop. I did stop for the 6000 ft sign. Notice the bullet holes.

Getting close to the Jarvi memorial. I think this is a picture of Hwy 39?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second Tunnel! This one is broken into two parts:

From the other side:

At the Jarvi Memorial:

Great Views:

I took this shot while riding down... I liked the angle:

Here's a video of riding through that second tunnel:

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the elevation chart:

The route:

Riding down Hwy 2... it's not all downhill... there are a few climbs to deal with... and when you don't have any water... it's really hard! When I finally made it down, I was able to stop somewhere and buy some gatorade... It only took me 8 hours for this ride... not bad for a first time I think! :D

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I'm always shocked at the great roads (apparently with not too much traffic) that you SoCal folks post on here. Man, that looks beautiful and the weather looks like it blessed you that day. I LOVE hills and mountains, especially with those kind of views.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DrRoebuck said:
I've been thinking about Angeles Crest Highway lately. How difficult/steep is it?
I didn't think that it was too difficult or steep. Looking at my Garmin, I think there are grades of 5-7%, spiking up to almost 10% in a few places. The hard part was running out of water. After I completed my ride, I was told there are a few places to stop and get water. Besides the Hidden Springs Cafe, you can stop at the Newcomb Ranch Cafe (near the second tunnel) to buy water/food. In addition, you can also get water at Red Box Road, the turn off to Mt. Wilson. There is also a faucet at Clear Creek, that little Ranger Station at the intersection of Angeles Crest and Angeles Forrest.

And there is no cell coverage (at least for Verizon) up there. Don't know about the other providers but I don't remember seeing any cell towers out there. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.