1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
I like the concept and the design. Mass market appeal to compete with K-Edge and the crappy Garmin mounts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice work! You have given me some nice ideas here...

Some holes and/or a heavy chamfer in and out on that ring section should shave a couple of grams, maybe more. That retainer ring could be a little thinner? And fair the arm into the main body. The suggestion below about losing the rubber band lobes is a great one. Any diameter reduction will be huge for weight loss.

Good stuff!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went for a more minimalist approach. The stainless bracket weighs 11g.

If you cut the rubber band lobes off the plastic garmin mount, you could make yours a lot smaller. Something like this...
thanks for sharing...
actually not bad at all... good idea there!!!!

Actually I saw this design on the web as well.
But anyway this is only my 1st prototype there are still room for improvement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice work! You have given me some nice ideas here...

Some holes and/or a heavy chamfer in and out on that ring section should shave a couple of grams, maybe more. That retainer ring could be a little thinner? And fair the arm into the main body. The suggestion below about losing the rubber band lobes is a great one. Any diameter reduction will be huge for weight loss.

Good stuff!
Thank you so much!!!!
Yes, I know that too..
now starting to crack my head to re-improve the current design for more further reduction of weight.

in additional, this design able to let me to re-adjust the length to fit either edge 510, 800 and 810.

·
Registered
29 Posts
in additional, this design able to let me to re-adjust the length to fit either edge 510, 800 and 810.
I saw the slots but wow it sure looks like it will flex/bend/springboard in the slotted area if you extend it out for a larger unit. :( I don't have a great solution that doesn't involve leaving more material on the thing. I'd be tempted, with this design, to let it only fit one size of Garmin.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw the slots but wow it sure looks like it will flex/bend/springboard in the slotted area if you extend it out for a larger unit. :( I don't have a great solution that doesn't involve leaving more material on the thing. I'd be tempted, with this design, to let it only fit one size of Garmin.
Thank you so much for pointing this out.
Actually I've already consider this point.

during the designing period, I was kinda of worry about the flexing while riding.
but advice was given to use this Aluminium A7075 grade.

And was tested with fully extended and doesn't really flex at all during riding on normal road condition.

In addtional, added rubber ring spacer between the stem to absorb any vibrations.

7075 aluminium alloy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you so much for pointing this out.
Actually I've already consider this point.

during the designing period, I was kinda of worry about the flexing while riding.
but advice was given to use this Aluminium A7075 grade.

And was tested with fully extended and doesn't really flex at all during riding on normal road condition.

In addtional, added rubber ring spacer between the stem to absorb any vibrations.

7075 aluminium alloy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am glad it works for you - that's the important thing!

Again, nice work. Love to see people's custom work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.