Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to buy a quality road bike and I've blown a fuse reading reviews on bikes - there's so much info. I just committed to ride in the 100 mi MS bike tour from Irvine to San Diego and I've been training on a Marin - San Rafael hybrid. I need to make the switch soon.

My budget is about $1700. Please tell me your thoughts on the following: Cannondale Six13 5, Giant OCR 2. My local bike store has a '07 Look Origin selling for $1700. Never heard of Look but I'm hearing it's a good one. Any others that you prefer?

Any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated! Thanx.

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
All very good choices. You will here it a million times on this forum from folks that have a lot more experience than me. Get the bike that fits you best. Fit, fit, fit. And if they all fit then choose the one you like the best. Like I said all are very good choices. Good luck in your ride.

· Registered
232 Posts
Wait...your LBS is selling a complete Look for $1700?
That seems like a really good deal depending on the parts spec.

In the end, get the bike that fits and feels best.

· Registered
108 Posts
Look origin for that price is GREAT. Its probably a closeout price for a the one or few sizes that they have that you won't see elsewhere. I would get that now after that I'm more experienced.

However, I'll tell you about my Giant OCR2. I got it for $900, 3 years ago. I actually took this bike cross country from San Diego to Virginia beach (80-120 mi/day, taking every 5th day on rotation to drive support) for charity. I upgraded to the drive train to shimano 105 beforehand (with a major discount from our sponsor), and it did an amazing job. If you're looking to spend much less than your $1700 limit and want to make sure you love cycling before you spend more and more money, then I would recommend it. Unfortunately you never know how much you'll get into something. It looks like you're training and sounds like you'll enjoy continued cycling, but I don't know if you're just getting this to do the charity ride and that's it (which some people do).

For a century ride, you want dependability and comfort. Make sure you take these bikes on extended test rides to see if you like their geometry. As for components shimano 105 is very dependable. Anything above that is better (ultegra, dura ace, SRAM Rival/Force/Red, Campy Veloce/ Chorus/Record), but those will come at a premium. I have logged over 4000 miles on my Giant OCR2 with 105, and I loved it. However, now that I've proven to myself that I truly love cycling and that I kept on riding after the charity ride, I am looking to upgrade and spend a significant amount on a "better" bike. I will always love my Giant OCR2 and never sell her - we've been through so much.

You have to ask yourself if you are going to really continue cycling. Ebay is full of bikes from people who do a charity ride, get caught up in the Tour de France excitement, or whatever for a few weeks and then sell them after letting them sit there for weeks/months/years without being ridden. I mean I am grateful for these people, otherwise, I wouldn't get great deals.

However, for you, if you're going to make a long term commitment, I say go for the Look Origin if its TRULY your size (don't let anyone sell you a bike that isn't your size and "make it fit" by putting on extra long stems, extensions, etc. Minor adjustments are fine though). Otherwise, if you just don't know yet, and you want a quality bike I'd recommend the Giant OCR2 (even if it is stock with Tiagra components which is lower than 105), it'll definitely get you through the charity ride, and it is a very upgrade worthy bike at a good price point.

· Registered
39 Posts
Whadabala said:
No need to fear, a lot of us newbies here. The people on this forum will teach you well :)

2200, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace... This is the order of Shimano components from worst to best.

I have a Cannondale Caad9 with the 105 group. Perfectly acceptable component group. Shifts crisp and rarely slips. Not the lightest possible stuff but it is an amazing value. I race and ride very hard on this stuff. I recommend the CAAD9 R5. For 1200ish retail you cant go wrong. I threw some lightweight race wheels, seatpost, saddle on there and I have a sub 17lb super stiff race bike for just about 2k.

· Registered
13 Posts
Test ride everything you can get you hands on. Different frame materials have a slightly different feel. When you're test riding, saddle height will probably be the only real adjustment. Make sure they inflate the tires to full pressure. Try different bikes on the same route to try and make the bike the only variable in the test ride. Take it out for a few miles, not just rolling around the parking lot. You'll probably get better service on a weekday than when they're pulling their hair out on a weekend. Remember a bike is a very small place to spend 4-6 hours at a time. Things you hardly notice at 20-30 miles will drive you nuts at 60 miles. Find out ahead of time what kind of fitting service they provide. There's a million different methods, but trust what your body tells you. Lastly the bike is just the start. Don't forget helmet water bottles, shoes,pedals, cleats speedometer/computer, tire tools, inflation, spare tubes, and lights( I like night riding ) are not free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.