Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took out my new baby for the maiden voyage (ok, it was more like a sea trial since it was only about 15 ~ 17 miles).

I picked up a like new 2005 Fondriest TF1 Top Carbon a few weeks ago and after making some tweaks for fit, I finally took her out. The bike had less than 100 miles on it since the original owner broke his collarbone in a MTB accident soon after buying it. After he healed, he said he just didn't want to ride either of his bikes (Moots MTB) so the they both sat in his house. I believe his story since the bike looked brand new when it arrived. Not a single scratch on it. I was blown away! Anyhow sorry for the tangent. Here is my short ride report. I rode through the town of West Linn and its historic old town Willamette area and went up my favorite climb- Mountain Road climbing from the north.

My comparison baseline is my 2008 Colnago Extreme C. Between the 2, the TF1 is a tad stiffer in the rear. The TF1 felt a bit more immediate when I jumped on the pedals. Probably not as stiff as some of the pure racing bikes like the Prince or Dogma but it was plenty stout for me (actually felt very similar to my old Klein Quantum Race in the rear triangle). I can't tell much difference in the front but I didn't hammer down any long roads, pushing the envelope of the fork. It is a great handling descender but I do like the handling of my Colnago just a bit more. Colnagos are just a touch more stable and I love the way my EC tracks (maybe the 72 deg HT angle and trail combo). That being said, IME, you have to lean the Colnagos a little more than others in fast swooping turns but for some reason I have more confidence leaning on a Nag than any other bike I've ridden. Back to the TF1. It is also just a hair heavier than my EC. The frames are supposedly the same weight, both claimed at 1050 (for a 55cm Nag and Med Fondy), but I have Chorus, 3T Ergosum bars, Ritchey WCS 4-axis stem, and Velomax Ascent II wheels on the TF1 and Record 11, Spesh Shallow Drop SL bars, 3T Arx Team stem, and Reynolds Attack wheels on the EC. Both bikes have SI Kit Carbonio flow saddles and 3T Team Doric posts. Over the rough stuff, the TF1 was pretty smooth. I know wheels and other contact points play a big role in how road vibrations are felt by the rider so I won't try to compare that but I will say that I wasn't disappointed. BTW, I thought the Velomax A2s were great! Very light and lively feeling on the climbs! They didn't feel flexy when torquing up the hill. But since I am about 180-185 lbs, I do worry about the long term durability of these wheels since they are very light. I also don't like the 3T Ergosum bars. I like the shallow drop but the reach is too long for my liking. I bought another Spesh Shallow Drop SLs to replace these. BTW, the bike came with a Modolo Curvisimo KX bar and that is one NICE bar!!! It was too bad that it was a size 44 c-t-c so a little too wide for me otherwise, I would have kept that baby on. I love the drop and reach and the stiffness and lightweight and overall comfort! Anyone have a 42 they want to trade?? :) The Chorus shifting was more purposeful compared to the Record 11. The R11 has a really light touch but with the Chorus, I had to be a little more heavy handed. Shifted flawlessly though! Chrous brakes weren't as strong as the R11 either but I am not sure how much the carbon braking surface and carbon specific pads the Reynolds on my EC had to do with that. I didn't think that in dry conditions, a carbon wheel would brake better than an aluminum wheel so I attribute the braking performance to the brakes. Am I wrong? Overall, I am stoked with my new ride! I have always wanted the TF1 and now I have one! Like new too so I gots me a HUUUUUGE sh!# eating grin on my face!!! :) I just wish I could be riding in Colorado instead of Oregon!!! Ride ON!!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mista v!

I never thought I'd ever say this but I may be done buying bikes for a while! Once I get my steel mondonico built, I will be complete.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
Thanks mista v!

I never thought I'd ever say this but I may be done buying bikes for a while! Once I get my steel mondonico built, I will be complete.
ROTFLMAO! uh huh - right.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lemonlime said:
Nice.

If you unload the Colnago (and it's a 55 or 56) pm me.
no way lemonlime! I'm never getting rid of my ext c! You have some nice rides too don't ya?!?!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
matanza said:
Nice buy. Sometimes they pop up just at the right time. Couldn't have been used much from the fotos.
thanks matanza! You are so right about the timing. I have always wanted this frame and I was close to buying it a few months ago. There was a guy in Toronto that had a tricked out weight weenie TF1 with Lew carbon tubies, tune fastfoot cranks, and record 10 but he wanted waaaay too much for it- $5000. I was willing to pay $4000 for it with the hopes of selling most of the parts (wheels) to recoup some of the cost but he decided he decided he wanted $5000 instead of the $4000 which was his latest sale price. Then I saw one on eBay that sent for $850 for the frameset! The winner of that auction though he would be able to flip it and make some money so he put it on eBay again and it went for $940. After all the fees, I doubt he made any money at all. In any case, I held off on those opportunities because I hadn't secured a job yet. I found a job and then wala his shows up on craigslist! Glad I waited because this is practically new and I can recoup some costs by selling the parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.