Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I took the day off work for CPR and first aid training and we got done early so I decided to hop on the bike and just started riding...end up doing 42 miles and ran out of water near the end and didn't bring any food so it worked out all right...

my left groin really hurts...just the left not the right and I haven't had this problem on shorter rides...does any one have an idea on what I need to change to avoid this in the future:confused:

I also spent alot more time on the drops mostly because there was a horrible head wind

also on longer trips do people tend to stop for water or just try carrying more...I have 2 cages with two larger bottles...I have a camelbak but it's just annoying on the road bike...I've seen cages mounted under the down tube...how practical are those...?

on the stopping note I managed to do the whole thing without stopping once...mostly because I'm pretty sure sheridan road was built for biking

all done rambling

thanks in advance

· Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Good

thespoonman said:
so I took the day off work for CPR and first aid training and we got done early so I decided to hop on the bike and just started riding...end up doing 42 miles and ran out of water near the end and didn't bring any food so it worked out all right...

my left groin really hurts...just the left not the right and I haven't had this problem on shorter rides...does any one have an idea on what I need to change to avoid this in the future:confused:

I also spent alot more time on the drops mostly because there was a horrible head wind

also on longer trips do people tend to stop for water or just try carrying more...I have 2 cages with two larger bottles...I have a camelbak but it's just annoying on the road bike...I've seen cages mounted under the down tube...how practical are those...?

on the stopping note I managed to do the whole thing without stopping once...mostly because I'm pretty sure sheridan road was built for biking

all done rambling

thanks in advance

for you...Next thing you know you'll be riding 60-100. The group I ride with generally stops about every thirty to forty miles. I usually take two bottles, one a sport drink and the other ice water. I fill or top off the water every time we stop. We stop to use the restrooms, eat a quick bar, and get fluids. Usually only lasts about ten minutes. That's what I do at least.

· Registered
483 Posts
thespoonman said:
First off, congrats. As for the groin thing, you may have an unbalanced stroke with one or the other side doing too much work. Try pedaling "in circles" (even all the way around, and pulling back, then up, on each stroke). You may also need to use a lower gear.

The below tube cages are not terribly useful unless there's NO water where you ride (no fountains, libraries, convenience stores, etc.). I use libraries, try to find a route with one.

· Registered
5 Posts
Water...

One more comment on the water issue. You'll find as you get stronger and ride longer that you will not be as thirsty. I'm not saying you should drink less than recommended, but when I first started riding (jumped straight into 30 mile rides) I was parched even with two full water bottles. Now I have to remind myself to drink water so I don't get dehydrated. You could also attach water bottles to the back of your rig triathalon style if you don't want to stop on long rides.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
groin pain

it's a tightness...almost like it was stretched beyond where it should have...in my past life I was a wrestler...so I've felt it before...it's almost gone 8 hours later...I'm just trying to figure out what caused it...

I try pedaling in circles as much as I can but it's just not ingrained in my muscles to do that quite yet so it has to be a concious(sp) effort...practice practice practice...let me tell you I only have about 400 miles on the bike and I am about 205pnds and 5'7...this beats the hell out of running and I think I might be hooked

· gazing from the shadows
27,388 Posts
thespoonman said:
it's a tightness...almost like it was stretched beyond where it should have...in my past life I was a wrestler...
Did you ever suffer any injuries to your hips or knees or back? You might be kinked from your wrestling days in a way that imbalances your pedal stroke. I'm not an MD, but I did wrestle and am messed up from it somewhat.

I think that people can add 50% to their rides, and will feel it the next day. I also think people can easily ride double their longest ride (1 to 2 hours, 20 to 40 hours) but that will hurt them. So build up a bit more gradually to longer times and distances. That might be the real cause of the injury, overuse.

· Registered
151 Posts
Spoonman,

First off, congrats on the ride. It's always an encouraging thing to best your longest distance.

The groin pain may just be sore muscles. If is happens more, see a doctor. It may be a bike fit issue.

Jersey pockets work great for carrying an extra water bottle.

· Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
Congrats......

sonunds like your groin pain is just overuse...doubling your milage always hurts the first time. If i want to extend my distance, I usually will increase my longest ride by about 1/2 hour per week....BTW, I measure my rides in time not distance....it takes aout the vagaries of wind & terrain.

As to water.....I drink 1 large bottel per hour. If I'm riding linger I'll stop around the 2 hour mark buy water eat a little and move on. On the bike nutrition is fig newtons and hammergel.

Len

· Registered
36 Posts
Maybe this is obvious, but make sure the saddle is aligned correctly. I raised my seat a little, and it looked fine to my eye at first. Once I got out on the road I was instantly aware that the nose was pointing a little to the left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.