1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Hi,
Just purchased a caad12 uletegra-disc. Matte black

What would you recommend to clean and protect ?
Especially from smudges and oily prints. Getting a lot of those

Amazon has several matte cleaner detailer sprays

Any suggestions?
Please share if you have a specific process

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Hi

Hi,

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Lots of people like Windex. Others like a squirt of Dawn dish soap into a bucket of water. Lemon Pledge is popular too but maybe would make your matte finish a little less "flat" in appearance.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Damp rag wipe down of the frame. If you ride on muddy roads (common around here), a wash down with dish soap and water. I use an old work stand and a garden hose with a nozzle. Don't spray water anywhere near bearings, just use a fine spray to rinse the soap off. Wipe down the chain before lubricating to get the loose stuff off.

I don't obsess about how clean my bikes stay, I keep the frames wiped down, wheels clean enough (rim brakes), and the drivetrain quiet.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Hi

Hi,

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I wash my bikes using warm water and Dawn (or whatever my wife buys). I use Bike Lust as a polish. Nashbar has their own version of this which is much cheaper. I might use a degreaser solution on the worst parts if needed.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I use a Green Wipe followed by a paper towel, that does most of the work, it even gets the tougher greasy and muddy stuff. I'll use 2/3 to clean the bike depending on how dirty it is.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You'll get over it. We get it, a new bike is exciting, beautiful, you want to prolong the honeymoon period. I did the same thing with my last new bike, for a couple of months, and I'll undoubtedly do the same with my next. However, it is, after all, a bike. Bikes get dirty, they play rough outside and get dings and scratches. For a while, you'll try to keep it pristine, but eventually you'll realize that you want to spend your time riding your bike, not polishing it.

As long as you don't do something crazy, whatever you do will be fine. Wipe it down after a ride, hose it off after a rain ride (or if you drip sports drink on it), wash with soap a couple times a season. It all works.

----------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'll get over it. We get it, a new bike is exciting, beautiful, you want to prolong the honeymoon period. I did the same thing with my last new bike, for a couple of months, and I'll undoubtedly do the same with my next. However, it is, after all, a bike. Bikes get dirty, they play rough outside and get dings and scratches. For a while, you'll try to keep it pristine, but eventually you'll realize that you want to spend your time riding your bike, not polishing it.

As long as you don't do something crazy, whatever you do will be fine. Wipe it down after a ride, hose it off after a rain ride (or if you drip sports drink on it), wash with soap a couple times a season. It all works.

----------------------
yes. I agree. Very true
like a new car sort of

this is my 1st road bike

·
Registered
486 Posts

----------------------
I'm the exact opposite of this. I am painstakingly meticulous about the cleanliness of my bike. Custom painted at the factory, and shiny carbon wheels need to look brand new after every single ride for me. Hose and dish soap if needed, mostly simple green, then this old fashioned foamy aerosol glass cleaner with a clean rag, then Race Glaze misted on the frame and wiped off. I ride hard, ride a decent amount of miles per year, and still very much enjoy the process of cleaning and polishing a bike after a ride. It's part of the experience for me. Everyone is different. Have fun, ride a lot, and clean your bike when you want to!

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I'm the exact opposite of this. I am painstakingly meticulous about the cleanliness of my bike. Custom painted at the factory, and shiny carbon wheels need to look brand new after every single ride for me. Hose and dish soap if needed, mostly simple green, then this old fashioned foamy aerosol glass cleaner with a clean rag, then Race Glaze misted on the frame and wiped off. I ride hard, ride a decent amount of miles per year, and still very much enjoy the process of cleaning and polishing a bike after a ride. It's part of the experience for me. Everyone is different. Have fun, ride a lot, and clean your bike when you want to!
Wow, that's cool! I can tell you love the process, I'm impressed! I'm an every chain maintenance cleaner, so like every other week. With the wipes it really goes quick, and I like having the bike looking like new. I might damp cloth wipe the top tube between cleaning because of the amount of sweat... but usually I just give the bike a once over when I visit the chain. Green Works (advanced grease fighting formula) are what my wife keeps around and I really like the cleaning job and the little gloss/shine left behind.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
And this bike ALWAYS looks good. Saw it today halfway through a rainy bay area ride and it still looked awesome! :thumbsup:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Thank You

more concerned about the frame:)
keeping looking new

so, wd40 or windex would be ok?

No. I wouldn't recommend either of these for a matte frame - EVER. Windex may damage the finish as it has ammonia. And if you use WD-40, the finish will become more glassy, not matte.

On my matte frame, I use a soft cloth with rubbing alcohol. That will dissolve any grease and won't harm the finish. If you then get streaks, follow up with a cloth dampened with just plain water.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a 2 year old matte black frame and all I've ever done is use a soft wet (water only) towel to wipe it down when it gets dirty enough that it bothers me which isn't very often. I don't care that much about it looking pristine.

·
Cycling 4 the fun of it.
326 Posts
This might sound strange.

After I wash a bike, I use an automotive bug and tar spray that you can find at any department store.

It removes some of the hard road elements and leaves a lite protective coating. I sometimes use it and a flat color if I get bored and decide it looks better with a shine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You cant go wrong with a soft brush or microfiber cloth in warm water with mild dish soap. When you rinse it down just use very low velocity water, then dry with a towel or shammy. I find that a clean and dry bike really doesn't attract much dirt, if it is painted a quality automotive wax will help.

Keep the chain lubed, but not over lubed. Just a drop on each link then wipe it down good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts