Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello, and introduce my first real road bike. After looking at starter bikes, which were really nice and fast feeling, I decided to stick with my actual budget and go used - so I got this 1985 Miyata 912, stock shimano 600(ex?). Took it apart, greased everything (not that it needed anything, it seems like its never been ridden), and started riding. The only things I changed were the seat post to get more length, and the pedals (a friend convinced me). New handlebar (wider) and some hoods are coming in the near future.

For now I'm just riding to keep fit and get out of the house, and every day without a morning ride has me yearning for one in the afternoon, so maybe by this time next year I'll be looking for a racer. As for how the ride feels, I don't have much to compare with; it feels fast - much faster than my commuter rig - and handles like it's on rails. The friction shifting took a bit of getting used to, but now I'm comfortable enough to ride with a friend and not worry about crashing when shifting :D.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for the very helpful and interesting posts, and showing off your sweet bikes - it's always fun seeing cool rides.

oh, and the picture :

-tyo

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
That's a good way to start. When you're ready to upgrade, you'll know what you want.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
I like 'old school'.

If you're interested, Cane Creek makes aftermarket brake hoods that would fit your levers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am actually - are you talking about the "standard non-aero hoods" that they make?

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
Excellent bike. The frame would be worthy of a modern drivetrain if you feel inclined, but it's also brilliant as a restored retro racer.

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
Keepin it real

1 - 9 of 9 Posts