Blue RC4 Carbon
full campy chorus
am classic 420's
Deda Alanera integrated
fsa k-force seatpost
selle san marco aspide arrowhead
Hutchinson fusion tires
record pedals

what do you guys think? I have been riding dirt for a while now and decided to splurge on a road bike. I need suggestions on a computer,something wireless simple dependable. shoes-thinking carnac m5's and a road helmet-something on the upper end maybe a giro atmos. open to all suggestions.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
That's all high-end stuff; i'm sure it will be a nice bike. I don't know what an RC4 is, actually.

I will say this: if you're planning to ride a lot, especially in all weather conditions, get a set of wheels that are less high-zoot than the Am Classics, which aren't known for their durability, for everyday use.

Helmets -- the Atmos is really, really nice, though expensive. If you're gonna race the pod is good.

Computers -- Meh, whatev. I feel on these you should either buy something full-on with altitude, uploadability, etc, or a very simple unit. I get buy on a sigma sport wired computer that cost me $16, and does everything I need. FWIW, many teammates complain that less expensive wireless computers can be prone to glitches.

Shoes are like saddles -- very personal choice.

On the components -- Record pedals are SERIOUSLY expensive, but will of course work. Let us know what you think; it seems like very few use them compared to Speedplays, Looks, and Shimanos.

Chorus stuff is all very solid, should last you forever if you don't abuse it, and probably even then.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I had a computer come out of its mounts on my mtb and lost it which is why I dont want to spend too much on it although I guess it won't be subjected to anywhere near the same amount of abuse as on a mtb. Ill set a budget of $100. I chose the records b/c the release tension is adjusted seperately from the insertion tension.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Stuff

Computer - consider wired, you get a lot more bang for your buck. Cateye makes some dependable computers. I would recommend the Astrale 8 which is wired and has cadence. Cadence will help you become a better rider. With some careful work on installation you can hide the wiring pretty well. Zip ties and clear plastic tape work wonders. A trick for the cadence is to use a Cateye wheel magnet (mushroom style) and fill the hollow pedal spindle with some silicone caulk and insert the threaded end of the magnet. Or of course you could get the fancy ergobrain cadence magnet that is a perfect fit.

Shoes - Sidi Genius shoes are great if they fit your fit. Very durable and worth the money (if they fit your feet).

Helmet - Pick a brand that fits your head well then pick a model.

iopturbo said:
I chose the records b/c the release tension is adjusted seperately from the insertion tension.
We have all three versions of ProFit in our house and you did not need to go with Record to get the tension adjustment. Per Branford and my experience -

Record gives you lightweight via a titanium axle and a very nice Campy finish.
Chorus is the same as Record with a steel axle tipping the scales a bit more.
Centaur same as Chorus with a less flashy finish.

Don't forget to use antisieze when installing the titanium axles.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Great bike on paper. Hope it fits. Hope you spent some serious time figuring out the correct size frame, stem, bar height, etc for yourself. And just not taking the LBS words, "yeah, looks like it'll fit", as he takes your $4k check. Unfortunately, most of us have made that mistake when buying our first road bike.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am friends with the owner of the LBS him and I have done a ton of research on what best fit my budget taste and me. as far as getting lucky getting such a nice bike as my first: when I started mountain biking I bought a trek 6500. within a month I was ordering wheels,disc brakes etc.. so I wanted to do it right the first time and I just saved up for it. besides riding my mountain bike that extra time just made me stronger.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
iopturbo said:
besides riding my mountain bike that extra time just made me stronger.
You want to get strong?! Try riding a Fuji Sports 12 for a few years... I think the rims were made out of pig iron. Each one was comperable in weight to a Volkswagon. When I got my first aluminum-rimmed bike, it was as though there was no pedaling effort involved whatsoever.

;)

- FBB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts