Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if you've been a regular in this forum for a while, you probably know that I have been planning my first tattoo for a while, and have been depending on the helpful guidance of Dr. Hoo, Haidu D'Etat, ATP, and others. I was on the waiting list for 7 weeks and today was the big day. As I sit here, the tattoo is all bandaged up and feeling fine.
I was booked for 3:00. I showed up right on time and waited....and waited. I had expected the artist to be late, because thats what everyone told me to expect. it was cool-i talked to a couple people waiting and flipped through the papers. we got started at 3:55. Deano is a super cool cat, and the haida design was definitely right up his alley. he grew up right in the region where this artwork was established, and his studio is littered with examples of haida art.
I had modified a haida design originally, because i wanted a certain outline shape with a more aggressive-looking mouth and eyes. The eyebrows and cheekbones were also heavily modified, but i wanted the design to retain some authenticity to the haida art style.
Deano re-worked the sketched a bit and I was really happy with it right away. SO, we got the stencil lined up-the top of the calf, not on the mucle divide. I didn't want it getting warped when I walk/ride/run.
The work took about 2 hours with no breaks. I don't wanna brag, but I took the pain really, really well. Almost dozed off, in fact. Deano said I didnt flinch once and was the perfect client for those 2 hours, which is cool. I think I was just really mentally tough because I was well prepared.
The pain was really no big deal at all. The only stuff I found painful was some of the coloring on the inner part of my leg.
I have Deano a $50 tip at the end because I was( super happy with the result. He had the desk-guy give me a discount that didnt even apply to me (it was for radio station staff) for 20%, probably because he knew I was a starving student and I agreed to let him use my tattoo in his portfoilo.
I got Deano to take a couple pics at the end before he wrapped it up. I am extremely happy with the result- a good, clean, smooth tattoo exactly the style that I wanted it.
ONCE AGAIN, THANKS to everyone who offered advice to me about this. It's been a long-time coming, and I already have plans for future work.
(THE PICTURE UPLOAD FEATURE ISNT WORKING FOR ME RIGHT NOW, ILL TRY AGAIN IN A SECOND)

·
nothing
120 Posts
That's a cool piece. Super clean lines, nice placement, perfect size for the location. You oughta be proud of that. Now you just need something on that other leg...:D

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
eagleson520 said:
That's a cool piece. Super clean lines, nice placement, perfect size for the location. You oughta be proud of that. Now you just need something on that other leg...:D
haha, I'm on it man...the only thing keepin me from turning into a human billboard is the finances..I'm starting university in september. BUT, my provincial government had a surplus, and one of the things theyre doing is sending all citizens a $400 check. I'm getting one made out to me specifically since I moved here/worked on my own, not as a dependent. So I figure I'll get at least 2 more pieces before September.
I saw an eastern design the other day on the net that boggled my mind. I'm looking into some cool Aztec stuff, so we'll see.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Very nice looking man. Very nice. I've been thinking about ink for a loooong time. I've always wanted something on my shoulders and back area, and have been hesicant about the legs for some reason. But that looks great, and has got me thinking about my calfs. Thanks for sharing your experience man,

joe

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Actually, I find a massage to be more painful than a tattoo... although my armpit was a bit tender.

Let us know how the red ink holds up.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
filtersweep said:
Actually, I find a massage to be more painful than a tattoo... although my armpit was a bit tender.

Let us know how the red ink holds up.
word. using a foam roller on your IT band hurts way more IMHO.
I'm really committed to doing the healing process right, but the artist's policy is that any touch-up's are free, which I thought was very cool. So hopefully it heals up well, but I should have a good evenly-colored tattoo regardless. :cool:

·
gazing from the shadows
27,207 Posts
Very nice work. I think it turned out very well, and the artist choice seems to be a good one for this subject. I am glad you are so happy with how it turned out. Congrats!

Oh, and there is a reason why artists give discounts on the first tattoo. To keep you coming back for more of course, and to get good word of mouth. No one shows off the ink to as many people as someone with their first tattoo.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
very, very nice. sounds like a great experience, except for the 55 minute wait.

great work, clean "straight" lines and simplicity. great choice of art and artist, evidently!

depending on how well your skin takes ink, it may be 2-3 weeks before it scabs over completely and you're in for touch-up.

keep us in the loop on this and future work!

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
very nice, clean work. my experience was this...the itching during the healing process makes the "pain" of the tattooing seem like child's play. i carried a big bottle of lotion around with me. i worked at a publishing company at the time, and i don't think anybody wanted to know why i was walking off to the bathroom with a big bottle of lotion a few times a day...hehe.

enjoy the ink!

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Check in when you're 50, see how you like it then...

I know, I know, I'm hopelessly out of date on this issue. But I still look back on the time I gathered my peer-pressure resistance and walked out of the tattoo place as one of the few intelligent decisions of my first 20 years. I'm still in touch with a couple of the guys I went in there with (old Army buddies), and they get up every morning and look at some [email protected] fashionable-in-1967 design permanently imprinted on their bodies, and they say, "What was I THINKING?"

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
I can honestly say I've never seen a post from that guy that wasn't haughty or condescending.

I'm not a huge fan of tattoos myself, but that's no reason to sit and kill somebody's joy over one they like. They're not for everybody, and they weren't for you. Cool. But that doesn't mean they're not for him. Good Lord, if everybody were just alike this world would be incredibly boring.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
cory's a good guy, except for his ink opinions. :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :) :D

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
someone's got to neigh say the excitement. i'll say to cory what i said to my parents 6 years ago when i got mine. if in X number of years, i look back on my life and a simple tattoo is my biggest regret, i'll have done a pretty darn good job of livin.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Sweet ink! I learned a long time ago not to bring religion into an internet forum, so I won't. However, both of my tats have deep meanings to me. I love em and am working on a new design to have added in July.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cory said:
I know, I know, I'm hopelessly out of date on this issue. But I still look back on the time I gathered my peer-pressure resistance and walked out of the tattoo place as one of the few intelligent decisions of my first 20 years. I'm still in touch with a couple of the guys I went in there with (old Army buddies), and they get up every morning and look at some [email protected] fashionable-in-1967 design permanently imprinted on their bodies, and they say, "What was I THINKING?"
l..o..l
I was just waiting for a post like this. Cory, I'm happy for you that you made a good decision about a spur-of-the-moment tattoo. Thing is, my decision was ANYTHING but spur-of-the-moment. Try 3 years of brain-storming and sketching.
Secondly, there's nothing 'in-style' or 'fad-like' about the haida sun design. The Haida art-work was already prominent in the mid-1800's, so if they are still significant and unique 150 years later, I don't see anything changing over the next 30, 40, or 50 years.

Getting any tattoo as a fashion statement or to impress your friends is a recipe for disaster. it sounds to me like that's what your friends did, and that is why they regret their decision. Thing is, you can't judge all tattoos the same way. Some people are smart enough to get them for the right reasons. For me, the symbol I chose is timeless and it screams 'Canadian'. that's good enough for me.
I have no need for others to like my tattoo. It's really a personal thing. I wouldn't even have posted pics here, except I received a lot of good advice and info from people in this forum, so I wanted to share a positive experience that they had a part in creating.
Rock n roll.

·
With the Radio On...
965 Posts
Good for you. How about this:

Not big on 'toos, but considering this, in black, on the left shoulder.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts