Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i have my first three races ever on fri, sat, and sunday. I am pretty freaked out about the time trial on friday since i suck at riding solo. I have no idea what to expect, but i just pray i get a decent time. Saturday is a criterium, which also bothers me since i have never raced before. And then on sunday i have a 22 mile race. If anyone has any advice on what i should eat before and during the race that would be great. Also if you have any other advice that would be wonderful
Thxs.

·
Registered
635 Posts
relax, have fun, ride fast, stay in the front 1/3 of the crit and rr, be agressive
eat what you normally would for a hard ride, clif bars and gels and such are good, drink alot of water or gatorade, eat a good dinner to recover, get plenty of sleep, a massage if you can.
enjoy

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
22 miles is friggin' short. Unless there are huge hills, it all will be decided in the time trial.

Warm up WELL for the TT and the crit -- include some zone 5 efforts. For the time trial, I assume it's <=10 miles. Go ALL OUT. Go as hard as you can, and then a little harder.

For the crit, get to the start line earlier than you think you need to, and fight to stay near the front; it's where the crashes aren't.

For the road race, just sit in the wheels -- for that short of a distance, you shouldn't need any food, gels, anything. It should be a bunch sprint.

Don't do anything stupid, don't take anyone out, have fun, and get addicted. And don't take anyone out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm in a similar boat as you are, my first race is Saturday, and I have never ridden with nor seen other junior riders, as I am from a different part of the state than the majority of racers, so I have no idea how fast/aggressive to expect. I am doing a 32 mile road race on Saturday, which is supposed to be pretty hilly. Here are the topography and terrain map they included.
It looks like it is a big climb to the finish, which I don't know is good or bad, I am pretty light, and have little upper body strength, plus in 1 month since I started riding I have dropped about 10 pounds, adn I am now down to 139-140lbs, which is pretty low since i'm 5'10". runnerboy16, are you a junior also? (the 16 as in 16 years old?) I have been losing sleep over this for the last few days and just want to skip the next 24 hours of hanging around so I can race (I'm not riding today, because I'm tapering off) but tommorow me and the guys I am going up with are going to ride the course to get an idea of it.
Good Luck man
Matt

·
Registered
133 Posts
How come your racing in cat5's then, why not start off with the juniors where it is safer, and free. I say safer because juniors dont cat up and so it probably will have more experienced (racewise) people in a 17-18 than a cat5 which is mostly people with only a few races.
Matt

·
Registered
19,427 Posts
"i just dont want to wreck....i am not the greatest at keeping a straight line"

does this statement scare anyone else? if that' s the case, and not to be discouraging, you shouldn't be anywhere near a peloton...

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
it's where the crashes aren't.
you know, you hear this all of the time, and I'm just not sure that it's true. While it's true that if you're first wheel it's pretty hard to crash (although I have seen that, too), I have been crashed out of races in the top third of the field no problem.
It is true that the odds favor your being ahead of the crash if you're any further up than the middle of the race -- with so many of the riders behind you, sheer numbers say that it's likely to occur behind you. But it ain't as if being in the front third is some kind of protective shield. I have often felt safest dangling at the back -- I can see the whole field. Now, you can't do much RACING from back there, but that's a different issue.
Great quote from the Navigators DS recently. To paraphrase -- "our guys did a great job of staying together. Trouble is, they were all at the wrong end of the race."

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Not scared here.

does this statement scare anyone else?
"I just don't want to wreck" - shows good sense.

"I'm not the greatest at keeping a straight line" - knows there is a straight line in cycling, knows it's good to be able to ride one, and knows his limitations.

Go for it and have fun! :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bahueh said:
does this statement scare anyone else? if that' s the case, and not to be discouraging, you shouldn't be anywhere near a peloton...
I can keep a striaght line and can stay on the wheel of the person in front of me. It just i sometimes drift a little one way, especially if i look over my shoulder. I wouldnt race if i thought i was going to cause a wreck :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't worry about what the other posters said about keeping a straight line. In a CAT 5 race, 1/2 the people don't keep a straight line. Just make sure you don't overlap anyones wheel and stay near the front in the road and crit.

The time trial will decide this race. Off the start, you have a 1 mile climb. Don't kill yourself off the line. Get up to speed quickly, but don't sprint up to speed. Power up over the top of the hill and use the descent to rest (that doesn't mean stop pedaling). Once you get over the second and final climb, give it everything you have to the finish. Looks like a 6.5 mile TT according to your elevation chart. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the time trial went ok today....for what happened. :(
I got 20:45ish for 6.9 miles. However, my gears would randomly switch on me when going up the hills (got it fixed aftewards though), then my chain came right at the start of a climb and i had to stop to get it back on (about 30-45 secs). And to finish it off, a D$%* squirell just had to run right into my path and stop (swerved, braked, and barely hit it). I hope the crit tomorrow goes a lot smoother.
Good Luck to anyone else racing this weekend :) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what i did at the criterium:
-great start, got to the front.
-at the line of the end of the first lap i told a dude i was coming up on the left.....next thing i know he comes over into my front tire and i go down. i slide, and got hit by another rider. Luckily the race had a Sram neutral zone where i got my bike fixed quickly got a free lap, but i had to wait until the whole group past by.
-I got back out and tried to regain my position.
-refs yell two laps to go, i have gotten back to the front 10 people.
-final lap- i am in third the majority of the way....a group tries to pass me and the first two riders....I catch on a little late but sprint and ended up finishing 7th i think.

Overall, I loved every second of it. But clean two road rashes really hurts :(

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like you did great. You were even wise enough to calmly take a free lap. Safety permitting, the ref should have thrown you back in to your original position.

But it is important to remember a basic rule of etiquette and safety: do not yell inside, outside, left or right during a race.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.