Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching Craigslist for a bike to ride for about 3 weeks. I seen this 1988 Trek 330 and I bought her. Only a few chips in the paint, and from what I can surmise, all original, right down to the Matrix tires. Exage components thru out, and very little wear. Cleaned and polished her, and had some 700c-28 Gators put on.

During my trials and tribulations of polishing up the Trek, I looked on Craigslist again. A 1992 Paramount PDG series 5 shows up. I could tell from the picture she was too small for me, but what the heck. Totally preserved, and from what I can tell, 100% original. Looks like she just came off the showroom(maybe an exaggeration), but too nice not to take home with me. I gave the man $300 (seemed fair). 105 thru out, Tange, Campagolo rims.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Very nice finds. I especially like the Paramount. Where do you live? I search CL constantly and I never find anything of value.

·
Registered
708 Posts
onlineflyer said:
Very nice finds. I especially like the Paramount. Where do you live? I search CL constantly and I never find anything of value.
No ish! Hardly ever see a good classics on my CL neck of the woods. Awesome bike Guilou, especially the Paramount.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
Holy crap! I need to start looking at CL more often around here. Very nice finds.

I am new at checking Craigslist myself. For about 3 weeks and checking several times a day, I didn't see anything interesting or noteworthy at all, then one would show up. Since I picked up the Trek and Paramount, nothing at all has showed up since.

My Trek is probably too small for me, although I haven't ridden it many miles. It could be that I am not use to a roadbike geometry. Going to ride about 15-20 miles on her today, and play with the seat height, and handle bar position.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Ok, the schwinn is a 91 or 92. This was the second paint job called purple slime. It is unique. LOL LOL I had the previouse one, in a speckled gray paint and it rode fantastic. It looks all orginal, includignn the campy rims. THat was the "new" 105, and it was a huge leap forward (According to shimano). LOL LOL LOL

Anyway they both look great. I would love to find a schwinn again in my size, i think 60cm.

Bill

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
I bought that exact Trek, probably the same size, for my girl friend back in 1988. We got engaged and married a year later. I rode with her today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
seat post on 330?

What size is the seatpost on your Trek 330? I just bought an '89 or '90 with a hideously fat Avocet gel seat and crappy post, but can't figure out the size. Don't have calipers, and the tube might be crimped a little on top. Seems like the 27.2 doesn't fit. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
13 Posts
sorry to bump an old thread.

I've been looking for this same exact Series 5 PDG for a while.

1) you mentioned that yours is small for you. What size is it? I'm going to guess from the pics it's 54 cm (?)

2) have you considered selling it? :aureola: :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NRV, I am not sure of the size, it seems smaller than a 54 to me.

The thought of selling her has crossed my mind, but I haven't given it much serious thought.
It's so nice just looking at the bike, It's almost as if she wasn't ever ridden, no marks, scratches, or signs of wear.

I don't know what this example of a pristine Series 5 would actually sell for.

If I was to get rid of her, I would rather do a trade for a nice bike that fits me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fair enough. From the info I've found, these PDG (Japanese) Paramounts seem to sell for less than their Waterford / Chicago equivalents, apparently in the $250 - $350 range, depending on condition.

Well, I don't have anything to offer as a trade, but if you become interested in selling (also considering shipping... that's another thing), I might be willing to negotiate something.

I currently am in the talks with one other owner and am basically shopping around. :)

Thanks! Beautiful bike btw.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I come across a lot of 105 groups of that vintage. Either its bulletproof or people bought those bikes and just never rode em.

I haven't figgered out which yet.

M

1 - 16 of 16 Posts