Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to do a 40 mile ride on Sunday. Left about 11:30. It sure was hot. I noticed I was going slower than usual around mile 12, so I figured I'd turn around at 12.5. Went a little further and turned at 13.5. Did I mention it was hot? Very hot? Anyway, I looked back to ensure it was safe to take a U-turn and it was, so I turned without slowing enough. As I was nearing the end of the turn, I realized my front wheel was going to go into the grass, so I prepared to steer a little into it and then get back on the road. There wasn't a drop off, so I wasn't worried. However, soon as my tire got off the road, it came out from under me! Instinctively, I moved my left foot to step down, but alas, the clips kept my foot in place until after I was on the ground.
It happened so fast, I just remember my shoe popping out of the clip on the right side before the left side (the side I was falling toward). I remember being down on the ground and rolled onto my back. What was strange is that I don't remember any of my body actually hitting the ground, and no sore spots/abrasions :confused:
I do have 2 small scrapes on my bar tape, and my right foot got dragged into the chain by the cranks. So that hurt, and my right thigh muscle, as if it was cramping. Took about 2 minutes before my thigh pain went away. I guess I got lucky! My left ankle didn't hurt until yesterday, but it's gone today.
Just thought I'd share my first crash. Technically it's my second, because I fell over because I didn't unclip on time.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
Glad to hear you're not hurt. If it happens again, pretend that you're having a seizure. It's a good way to save face, plus chicks dig guys who are seizing.

·
What the what???
12,714 Posts
azpeterb said:
Glad to hear you're not hurt. If it happens again, pretend that you're having a seizure. It's a good way to save face, plus chicks dig guys who are seizing.
+1...that's how I snagged my wife. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts