Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks good, but the 2004 with clear coat paint is sweet!! Is that a X-large?? I have a hybrid TCR as well as my 04 TCR 0. Watch out though....my hybrid fork has a lot of play in it!! Guess the ahead system isn't all it's set out to be. :(

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have seen the new o4's and they are pretty sweet, but for what I picked up this frame for I could not turn it down. Yes, Its a XL. :( Thats too bad that it happened to your Hybrid TCR. Although I see it didn't stop you from buying a TCR 0. :) Also, isn't there a way to replace the internal headset, when I first got mine it came with a little diagram of how it worked, and it looked as if it was serviceable. Oh well, just enjoy it while it lasts, like everything in life :)

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Your Giant dealer can get a replacement headset

The LBS I work at sells Giant. Your Giant dealer should be able to get a replacement headset without any problem. While you're at it, order an extra rear derailleur dropout for each bike. That way if you bend one, you won't have to wait for one to be ordered and shipped. I ordered 2 for my NRS-1 as well as an extra headset.

YetiArc1 said:
Looks good, but the 2004 with clear coat paint is sweet!! Is that a X-large?? I have a hybrid TCR as well as my 04 TCR 0. Watch out though....my hybrid fork has a lot of play in it!! Guess the ahead system isn't all it's set out to be. :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
How to service TCR Composite headset

FTF said:
Also, isn't there a way to replace the internal headset, when I first got mine it came with a little diagram of how it worked, and it looked as if it was serviceable. Oh well, just enjoy it while it lasts, like everything in life :)
You can service the headset quite easily. Have done it a few times on my own TCR composite frame. I suppose the only servicable part are the two bearing units everything else just needs cleaning/wiping. Once you have stripped the headset just do the following:-

1. With a very small flat ended screwdriver gently prise off the two soft bearing seals on each bearing unit (they come off very easily with no damage). You then have access to the captive ball bearings.
2. Next flush them out with WD40 or some other solvent. Then let them dry off. Pump in some fresh grease from both sides, giving them a spin to work in the grease.
3. Put the seals back in place give them a few more spins and clean up any excess grease.
4. Then re-assemble the headset.

Logically the bottom bearing gets the most dirt, especially in wet conditions so keep any eye on it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
NOT WD40!!! I haven't been inside the headset bearings yet but if they are like rollerblade bearings they have a plastic retainer. WD40 will eat that plastic (it's a napthalene base.) Use TriFlow, it's a teflon/silicone based lube that is safe on plastic. Flush out the bearing, pack it with your favorite grase and go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
TCR1 Headset Noise

Tig said:
The LBS I work at sells Giant. Your Giant dealer should be able to get a replacement headset without any problem. While you're at it, order an extra rear derailleur dropout for each bike. That way if you bend one, you won't have to wait for one to be ordered and shipped. I ordered 2 for my NRS-1 as well as an extra headset.
Tig, I'd like to ask for some advice if I may. I have a Giant TCR1 composite. When I lean heavily on my bars and rock from side to side (stationary or moving) there is a noticeable knocking/clicking noise which seems to be coming from the headset. I used to have this problem before which was cured after tightening my front Ksyrium wheel bearings. Lately it isnt that and appears to be coming from the headset. Any ideas?

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Giants need more grease

Try removing one handlebar clamp bolt at a time and putting a thin layer of grease on the threads. You may have to do the same for the steerer clamp bolts as well. If you feel comfortable with removing the fork, add some grease to the headset bearings. Even sealed bearings could use a little grease on their outer surfaces to eliminate noises. Also, put a very thin layer of grease on each side of the fork's dropouts. This alone has cured many front end noise problems I've encountered.

I've noticed that Giant doesn't always use enough grease during assembly, especially on the bottom bracket threads. Grease keeps things quiet and allows torque to be applied with a less risk of stripping threads.

Bananaman said:
Tig, I'd like to ask for some advice if I may. I have a Giant TCR1 composite. When I lean heavily on my bars and rock from side to side (stationary or moving) there is a noticeable knocking/clicking noise which seems to be coming from the headset. I used to have this problem before which was cured after tightening my front Ksyrium wheel bearings. Lately it isnt that and appears to be coming from the headset. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Noises

Thanks Tig. I slipped the steerer off the frame last night and cleaned/greased everything up. There doesnt appear to be anymore noise :). Another reader mentioned 'pumping in some fresh grease' into his headset bearing. I presume he has the type you can dismantle whereas mine are sealed or am I mistaken? I have similar sealed bearings on my Ksyrium wheels. The front ones started squeaking after a long wet ride until I took them out and soaked them in gear oil. Dont know if the oil penetrated but I get the occasional squeak now and then.

best regards

Tig said:
Try removing one handlebar clamp bolt at a time and putting a thin layer of grease on the threads. You may have to do the same for the steerer clamp bolts as well. If you feel comfortable with removing the fork, add some grease to the headset bearings. Even sealed bearings could use a little grease on their outer surfaces to eliminate noises. Also, put a very thin layer of grease on each side of the fork's dropouts. This alone has cured many front end noise problems I've encountered.

I've noticed that Giant doesn't always use enough grease during assembly, especially on the bottom bracket threads. Grease keeps things quiet and allows torque to be applied with a less risk of stripping threads.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bananaman said:

I too have a Giant, the TCR C2. It has the exact same noise pattern coming from the headset, and it has gotten progressively worse. The LBS recommended the grease the screws as TIG suggested. Have a scheduled "fit" session, may have the LBS do the work, as the bike is only about 60 days old.

Will try to post follow-up after work is done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.