Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not big on charity unless it involves looking after furry animals. In fact I tend not to help others as a rule – I believe most charity is extrinsically motivated and for that reason I give that type of stuff a wide berth.
Anyway, on my way to work I rode past a bloke on a mountain bike and his front QR was open. I hauled him over, adjusted the QR and showed him how to do it himself. He wanted to hug me ‘thank you’ but I’m not particularly into man-on-man contact unless it’s on a rugby field.
Am I going to heaven now?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Well it may not get you to heaven but you do have another notch on the plus side.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
By 'front QR' do you mean zipper?

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i see people with this all the time. i dont pull them over, but if they are stopped i try to teach.

the scariest incident i had was with a little girl and her folks. they were on a bike path and the little girl couldnt get going. she was getting frustrated. i noticed that her fork was on backwards, even with the front brake on the underside of the fork. i walked over and told the father, "one reason she might be having trouble is her fork is on backwards. see how the brake is on the inside? it should be on the outside, like your wife's. another way to tell is the bend in the fork legs. they should bend away from the frame, not into it. i would take that back to where you bought it and have them put it on correctly."
the father looked at me and said, "well, it looks just like mine."
i looked at his bike and his fork was on wrong. i would expect this from a walmart bike, but he was riding a trek.
"i hate to say this, but yours is on wrong, too. it should looke like your wife's. what shop did you get your bike at? i would take it right back and demand they fix it."
his wife snapped, "we got these bikes custom from trek. they are custom bikes." she sounded all high and mighty about the bikes being custom.
"well then, i would call waterloo right away and explain to them that some put your husband's bike together wrong."
"well, these are custom," she reiterated.
"i was just tryin to help. afterall, it is kind of dangerous."

thing is the husband and wife were riding trek 3700. i didnt think they made those "custom."

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Any bike built with the fork backwards is 'custom'.

·
Registered
614 Posts
it must be custom!

MikeBiker said:
Any bike built with the fork backwards is 'custom'.
They also come with free "custom" injury and two left handed gloves(also custom)

stu

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,465 Posts
When you say "They were riding on a bike path", do you mean that they were training on a velodrome at 45 mph, behind a motorcycle?. It used to be common to reverse your forks for these events. It would get you an inch or two closer to the "motor's" rear wheel.
"Human's are funny"

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
The least you could have done was to turn the wife's fork around so it was custom as well :)

weltyed said:
i see people with this all the time. i dont pull them over, but if they are stopped i try to teach.

the scariest incident i had was with a little girl and her folks. they were on a bike path and the little girl couldnt get going. she was getting frustrated. i noticed that her fork was on backwards, even with the front brake on the underside of the fork. i walked over and told the father, "one reason she might be having trouble is her fork is on backwards. see how the brake is on the inside? it should be on the outside, like your wife's. another way to tell is the bend in the fork legs. they should bend away from the frame, not into it. i would take that back to where you bought it and have them put it on correctly."
the father looked at me and said, "well, it looks just like mine."
i looked at his bike and his fork was on wrong. i would expect this from a walmart bike, but he was riding a trek.
"i hate to say this, but yours is on wrong, too. it should looke like your wife's. what shop did you get your bike at? i would take it right back and demand they fix it."
his wife snapped, "we got these bikes custom from trek. they are custom bikes." she sounded all high and mighty about the bikes being custom.
"well then, i would call waterloo right away and explain to them that some put your husband's bike together wrong."
"well, these are custom," she reiterated.
"i was just tryin to help. afterall, it is kind of dangerous."

thing is the husband and wife were riding trek 3700. i didnt think they made those "custom."

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was once commuting to campus and was going to pass a couple on some mountain bikes when I noticed that the woman's kickstand was down. I pulled alongside and informed her of this and her immediate reaction was to look down at it, causing her to swerve and almost take out her companion with her.

I wasn't trying to cause an accident, just thought they would like to know something is amiss before she goes for a left hand turn and has a new pivot point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts