Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Gunnar Roadie

So after riding a steel frame I decided to sell my aluminum frame & get the Gunnar Roadie frame to replace it. I race occasionally, so I wanted a bike that was both comfortable on longer rides, but not to heavy for climbing in the Wasatch mountains or the occasional race. I also had disc surgery a month ago, so riding a frame that does not beat me up to much seems appropriate. The Gunnar Roadie frame is reasonably light (3.6 lbs) in size 54 & I could get pro form price on it thu my work. When I was looking at the Gunnar, I also considered the new Salsa Primero steel frame as it is slightly lighter by 1/2 lb, but it wound up being over twice the price even at wholesale, so the Gunnar certainly makes more sense on paper. Anyway, I basically swapped all the parts of my aluminum ride & put them on the Roadie. I did have to buy a new front Derailluer due to tube sizes, but everything else swapped over. It's amazing how much less Dura Ace 9 speed stuff costs now that 10 speed is out. When all was swapped over, finished bike weighs approx 16.5 lbs. About a 1 lb & change heavier than my aluminum ride, but probably insignificant at the end of the day. Here's a pic:

·
off the back
15,261 Posts
that is a light steel bike. and pretty too. ride the stink out of it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lampshade said:
Was that one of their "paint jobs of the month"?
Yes, this is their current color of the month. The Gunnar website has a page with what's current & for how long. I'm pretty happy with this color scheme. Not too flashy, not boring.

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to putting lots of miles on it this spring & summer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nice..

Very nice. I was looking hard at that exact frame. Same color scheme and all. Gunnar is top notch stuff. I ended up with an e-bay special (Foco steel).

When I called Gunnar to ask some questions about the frame, I spoke to Richard Schwinn himself. Nice guy. Great bike.

Mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
Farva
You'll love your Roadie - I've put nearly 10K into my Gunnar, albeit the Sport, over the last two years and it's been a great ride. We have a lot of them around DC - mostly Roadies, some Sports and Street Dogs, and have never heard a bad word about any of them.

My colour scheme was something I thought up, though I found out later that there's a Roadie in a similar scheme around DC and one of the Waterford staff raced a Waterford in similar colours - it's hard to be original ;) Had the good luck to meet Richard Schwinn too, at the shop I got my Gunnars from - I have two, wifey has a Sport also - he's a great character, lives, eats, sleeps and breathes bike frames.

Enjoy yours!

Dereck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice Gunnar. I too have recently left the world of beat me up aluminum and got a new steel ride. I looked at the Gunnar, along with just about everything else I could think of. Even bought and built a steel cross bike I ended up not liking. So in the end I went with an 03 Dean Culebra I acquired. I started to switch everything over, but I always wanted a Campy bike, so I just took the plunge. Here's the obligatory picture.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Very nice. I like the grayscale color scheme.......'ts the shade on my bike and bits. I usta have a Waterford Paramount OS, so I's can appreciate the craftsmen at Waterford. They do a bang up job.

Alas, my Paramount didn't fit so well anymore and beat up some old injury sites, so I replaced it with a Moots.

Please post your impressions of the Ritchey WCS fork once you've put some miles on it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alienator said:
Very nice. I like the grayscale color scheme.......'ts the shade on my bike and bits. I usta have a Waterford Paramount OS, so I's can appreciate the craftsmen at Waterford. They do a bang up job.

Alas, my Paramount didn't fit so well anymore and beat up some old injury sites, so I replaced it with a Moots.

Please post your impressions of the Ritchey WCS fork once you've put some miles on it.
I've been using the WCS fork on my old ride for a couple of seasons. My only complaint is the '04 version I have is alot heavier than advertised. They claimed around 325 grams uncut & mine is well over 400 grams cut. Apparently the newer versions are much lighter. A good way to indentify the older/heavier version is white tick marks on the inside of the legs near the brakes. Not sure what these are for, but the newer (better) one does not have this. Other than that, it rides fine. I'm only a whopping 145 lbs, so it doesn't flex much for me. It has carbon drop outs, so when I clamp it onto my car everyday, I always wonder if these are going to break eventually. No trouble yet though. Knock on wood. If you are considering one of these forks, make sure you get the newer version. If I did it again, I'd probably get the Ouzo Pro or the Easton SL fork.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Great color combo

I have the same frame with the black and silver paint job. I love mine. Rides awesome! The majority of my componants are black, goes well the the paint scheme. I'll be keeping this one for awhile. I payed extra to keep the "roadie" decal off of my top tube. I think it takes away from a really nice frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
a thing of beauty

I also went the aluminum-to-steel (Trek-to-Gunnar) route, and yesterday picked up my Gunnar Roadie. Pictures do not do it justice of course, but here it is....

Purchased through and assembled by Roy Cervantes of Grace Bicycles in Holliston, MA. Great advice and service -- I can't say enough about this shop and the quality of Roy's work. If you're shopping for Gunnar (or Giant, Bianchi, or other customs like Parlee, Seven IF), do yourself a favor and check out Grace.

A ride will have to wait, as, incredibly, snow is falling from the Massachusetts sky, actually sticking to the ground and mucking up the roads. Oh, the injustice of it all.

David

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
DaveloMA said:
I also went the aluminum-to-steel (Trek-to-Gunnar) route, and yesterday picked up my Gunnar Roadie. Pictures do not do it justice of course, but here it is....

Purchased through and assembled by Roy Cervantes of Grace Bicycles in Holliston, MA. Great advice and service -- I can't say enough about this shop and the quality of Roy's work. If you're shopping for Gunnar (or Giant, Bianchi, or other customs like Parlee, Seven IF), do yourself a favor and check out Grace.

A ride will have to wait, as, incredibly, snow is falling from the Massachusetts sky, actually sticking to the ground and mucking up the roads. Oh, the injustice of it all.

David
Wow. I thought the OP's roadie was the nicest I had seen, but yours is at least as nice looking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good choice

You'll love the Roadie - a great ride and it will be a long time before you get bored with it. I have about 7k miles on mine including 4 MS 150s, a half dozen centuries and a lot of climbing in Colorado. Very comfortable and responsive ride. I recently ordered a new ride - a Serotta - as I was going to spend significant money replacing worn out parts, so decided to go for a whole new ride. Can't bear to part with the Roadie though, so when the new ride shows up, will be sending the Roadie away for sprucing up - new paint and some parts replacement.

Hope you have many enjoyable and safe miles on your Roadie.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies. Took the bike for it's maiden voyage last week. So far, so good. Hard to measure the comfort difference from my old aluminum frame at the moment as I'm still pretty sore from disk surgery / vertibrae fusion that I had 5 weeks ago. Looking forward to lots of riding this summer at least.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts