Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
100% Atkins free
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this screen name for four years. I used it at first because of my admiration for a gutty, cocky and often unmatched little Italian who despite his drug problems was one of the great characters, if not cyclists, if not the best climber, of our generation.

He'd had problems in recent years and I always hoped he'd somehow manage one last stage win somewhere.

I'm sad. All of the cycling world should be. Faults and all, he was a great competitor and the sport is lesser without him.

FWIW,
Just Mike now

PS: One more time, my homage at the top of the Ventoux:

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
my heart goes out to you mike.

please keep it. the handle. or change it to "il pirata". i want to read your posts often and, every time, remember marco. please don't change it beyond those. this is how we honor our heroes. this, and more.

thank you, mike. for being where i am.

time to start buying pink lycra, no?

i cannot believe this.

forza marco

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
Elefantino said:
......... a gutty, cocky and often unmatched little Italian who despite his drug problems was one of the great characters, if not cyclists, if not the best climber, of our generation.

I'm sad. .....Faults and all, he was a great competitor and the sport is lesser without him.

FWIW,
Just Mike now

PS: One more time, my homage at the top of the Ventoux:

Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Keep the handle

For those who remained interested in him, even during the last 5 years, and didn't slag him off, the least you can do is keep the handle as a reminder to us all.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
dude, you gotta keep the name.....

Listen,

When Lance or Eddie finally pass on, I would imagine that there will be actually be an increase in the number of people with related screennames. It is through our memories and fans like you that these heroes live on.

Because he is gone does not by any means require that we suppress our enthusiasm for one of the most colorful riders in our beloved sport. He was the equivalent of an American Andre Aggasi in tennis, colorful and revered by many. It is definitely a tragic loss, of not only a hero, but also a person.... It is just a shame that fame, fortune and heart cannot find the appropriate means to fight some demons. I guess it serves to remind us that there are more difficult and painful challenges than climbing impossbly fast.

Last year seeing him mash with Simoni in the Giro was freaking epic. Impossibly steep stuff in impossibly tiny gears.

Unless you have personal issues from the way he chose to go, keep the name.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Keep it, please. Help his memory live on. I liked the little guy and was thrilled when he won the Tour, regardless of how much "help" he might have had. He was a true competitor. He'll be missed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts