Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing this in my twitter feed really made my day!

This road is a heavily traveled route by cyclists commuting between the northern suburbs and Seattle and the "Eastside" (Redmond/Bellevue). It's not a high speed/high traffic area, but I frequently see motorists get impatient with cyclists in this road and do dangerous things (illegal passing, not giving the required three feet, etc...)

For those who know the area, it's the short stretch of road that bypasses the "Park at Bothell Landing" in downtown Bothell, and connects the Burke-Gilman trail to the Sammamish River trail. It's one of the most heavily used bike commuter routesin the country in the summer months.

Nice to see the local police actively taking an interest in this.

https://twitter.com/BothellPolice/status/765711475063205888

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
It's amazing that NY State didn't add the term "allow 3 ft. when passing" when they made it a law to give cyclists room. The claim was they polled some "police chiefs" who stated they couldn't enforce it.

This law is now up for an amendment to change the term, it's getting resistance in the NY Assembly.

And here's an example as to how you can enforce it.

NY state is nuts most of the time, no doubt.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Unfortunately, never enforced in my hometown (New Hampshire). I honestly don't think the police even know the law is on the books.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I had our local police department support the 3 foot law... earlier this summer a minivan brush by me very closely, I would say by a couple inches... a couple hundred yards up the road after passing the same minivan they again brushed by me very closely making me skid off the road.

Note all of this happening at low speeds due to traffic and with-in a 25mpr zone...

Luckily for me there was cop parked up the road, so after passing the minivan for a second time. I stop and informed the cop what just happened and describing the minivan as it passed us by... I pointed there he goes. The Officer said to follow him and wait behind the car after I pull them over.

He had the driver get out of the car and wait for us on the side of the road (I say us because there was three us riding together). The officer talked to us and then asked us to follow him to speak with the driver. Note in the minivan was his wife and kids watching all this going on.

The officer asked for the drivers version and he replied with "I have the right away of the road they should be on sidewalks" (he was from Canada). There officer stopped him and pointed out "you are no longer in Canada, your in New Jersey which is in the United States", we have laws... do you understand that"! to which the driver replied "yes".

the officer then went on the say would you drive like that if it where your kids on the bike? at that time the officer starting stating reckless driving, in danger the lives of others....

don't know if the driver ever received any tickets , the officer turned to us and said we can leave I can handle it from here, so we rode off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts