Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the guy at the circus with the plates spinning on sticks.

well, they all fell down today. arrrrrrrggg.

ok, that's all. back to the soldering iron and multi tester

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
I'm writing reports for data that is incorrect. If the structure of the data changes everything breaks.

I'm supposed to be on vacation Thurs and Fri....Reports are due on Monday....

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
sometime we'll meet up for a ride and i'll tell you about my job.

perspective might help.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they are shipping me a new Reson 8125 topside unit, thus freeing me of the need to spin that particular plate. Of course, the inevitable phone argument with the leasing company over who pays for the shipping is still to come, but I welcome that. That's like a shark and blood for me :)

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Andy69 said:
the guy at the circus with the plates spinning on sticks
Funny, just last week, my boss told me that was pretty much my job description. Really - he used the spinning plates analogy.

Important point: they don't all have to spin the same speed. Ignore the ones that aren't about to fall, unless you just happen to be there.

The point he might have missed: it's a clown act. The plates are meant to eventually fall. Doing it with panache and humor is the important part.

Maybe I'm a geek, maybe it's greener grass, but anuy job that involves a soldering iron and multitester can't bre all b ad. Toss in an oscilliscope, and you're living large!

Chin up. The only thing guaranteed is change. If things suck, good times surely lie ahead.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
danl1 said:
Funny, just last week, my boss told me that was pretty much my job description. Really - he used the spinning plates analogy.

Important point: they don't all have to spin the same speed. Ignore the ones that aren't about to fall, unless you just happen to be there.

The point he might have missed: it's a clown act. The plates are meant to eventually fall. Doing it with panache and humor is the important part.

Maybe I'm a geek, maybe it's greener grass, but anuy job that involves a soldering iron and multitester can't bre all b ad. Toss in an oscilliscope, and you're living large!

Chin up. The only thing guaranteed is change. If things suck, good times surely lie ahead.
Oh, did I mention the multitester and soldering iron work was on a 35 foot boat in 2-3 foot seas? :)

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Andy69 said:
Oh, did I mention the multitester and soldering iron work was on a 35 foot boat in 2-3 foot seas? :)
Are you on top of a 60 foot mast? If not, stop complaining.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
Guess what? It won't be the last time. Stuff happens. Do your best and understand that no matter how well you do, or how hard you try, things will go wrong.

At least your boss didn't tell that you won't be getting a raise this year because the craptastic job he assigned you to do for the past year (and did a great job at) isn't worthy of a rating high enough to qualify you to get you into the minimal raise pool this year

but like haiku said, perspective

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
godot said:
Are you on Deadliest Catch?
I wish. That would be a piece of cake compared to this.

Now I understand why those hotshot hydrographic guys all make $120k/yr.

On a plus side, the boss just put me in for a $12k/yr raise :thumbsup: I'm guessing it's because he doesn't know what an Applanix POS MV is or what it does, and I do :)

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
The best part about working at the circus is being able to laugh at the geeks now and then. I'm a one-man band some days at work trying to run the service end of a busy RV dealership. To say there are days I'd like to choke a customer or ten is an understatement. You just have to learn to laugh. A lot.

·
Tactle-neck
865 Posts
I am at hour 11 of my day at the office. I think I will be here for another 3 - 4 hours...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I feel your pain. In my office, we call it "crack-filling and fumble-jumping", courtesy of an awful training event that we were forced to sit through.

That's all that I remember from that terrible training.

I like your image of the clown....will have to remember that one.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
FeedTheJoe said:
I am at hour 11 of my day at the office. I think I will be here for another 3 - 4 hours...
If you didn't spend all you time on the internet, you could have left hours ago.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I'm getting close to (involuntarily) being in the middle of an OSHA - EPA smackdown. Love when two federal agencies issue conflicting rules- or just ignore the other's existence.

Can hardly wait.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
lotta job whine in this thread...

I go in late, take a long lunch, and leave early.

easy peezy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts