Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know you all will love this update. The last 5 years of my life have been pure drama. However I don't believe in bad luck, only bad choices.

I was asked 30 days ago to telecommute. I am scheduled to begin that next week. I was informed on Friday that my job is on a slow boat to India. The bad news, they couldn't find a ticket in my name. My managers are being uber nice though. A) They've given me 3 months notice, instead of the usually Friday 2pm appointment. B) They said, "Work remotely from where ever you like."

This week I let my lease go--which was conveniently up on April 1--and I'm moving back to my property outside of Chicago. I think its time to jump ship anyway. Network admins are a dying breed. Besides, I hate the job. Not many job outlooks are on the rise in the US, but depression and divorce sure are. I'm gonna go get that therapy license!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Kristin said:
I know you all will love this update. The last 5 years of my life have been pure drama. However I don't believe in bad luck, only bad choices.

I was asked 30 days ago to telecommute. I am scheduled to begin that next week. I was informed on Friday that my job is on a slow boat to India. The bad news, they couldn't find a ticket in my name. My managers are being uber nice though. A) They've given me 3 months notice, instead of the usually Friday 2pm appointment. B) They said, "Work remotely from where ever you like."

This week I let my lease go--which was conveniently up on April 1--and I'm moving back to my property by Chicago. I think its time to jump ship anyway. Network admins are a dying breed. Besides, I hate the job. Not many job outlooks are on the rise in the US, but depression and divorse sure are. I'm gonna go get that therapy license!
Jeez Kristin...sorry to hear this. If bad luck comes in 3s I think you're due for some good luck now. Make some changes--get out of IT and go for it. You'll land on your feet. Just believe you can do it and then do it.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Kristin, that's rough. I applaud you for being so positive about the situation. Any idea what you want to do afterwards? I'm assuming you are still reasonably young ;) to pursue other career opportunities. Maybe a new career is in order??
Cheers, Wayne

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I wish I had some magical and prescient advice for you, but I don't. I'm not sure I could have handled the drama that has been your life with anywhere close to the same calmness and dignity as you have. Clearly you have a lot of inner strength, and I have no doubt it will lead you into a better future. One thing to consider is that now is a good time for a career change. It's tough to look ahead at bills and mortgage payments and think of anything other than getting another job quickly, but there is no better time than now to choose a different path. Go back and read my thread on your life/career journey and see how many of us have changed directions a few times. So what if you work at Pizza Hut for a year while going to school for that therapist's license? It might be the next necessary step. And you get free pizza.

Good luck and stay strong.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=55723

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,410 Posts
Hang on there. Good things happen to good people (most of the time). At least you have some time. Things could be a whole lot worse. They could have told you April 15. They could have let you know on a Friday to "don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out". You could have sold your place in Geneva last month (at a big big loss).
You can work like crazy, four hours a day, and job hunt the other four.
Let us know how the move goes.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, definately changing careers

mohair_chair said:
I wish I had some magical and prescient advice for you, but I don't. I'm not sure I could have handled the drama that has been your life with anywhere close to the same calmness and dignity as you have. Clearly you have a lot of inner strength, and I have no doubt it will lead you into a better future. One thing to consider is that now is a good time for a career change. It's tough to look ahead at bills and mortgage payments and think of anything other than getting another job quickly, but there is no better time than now to choose a different path. Go back and read my thread on your life/career journey and see how many of us have changed directions a few times. So what if you work at Pizza Hut for a year while going to school for that therapist's license? It might be the next necessary step. And you get free pizza.

Good luck and stay strong.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=55723
I've wanted to finish my degree in psych or social work for over 2 years now. It seems to be a good time to start that journey. A former therapist of 3 years went to Northeastern IL University and says she really liked the program there. She's very talented, so I trust her opinion. The good news is that tuition is $1800/year for undergrad and only $2500/year for the masters program. Plus they have an accelerated 1 year masters program. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't start in the fall.

I'm not sure I will keep the condo or not. It costs me around $800/mo and is 50 miles from the school. That may not be practical. But moving back will give me the chance to sell it "by owner" and break even--which would be fine by me. Then I could move closer to the city and lower my rent by sharing an apartment. I think things will be fine. I used this last year to get comfortable with down-sizing my life-style. Therapists don't earn $60K.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Kristin said:
I think things will be fine. I used this last year to get comfortable with down-sizing my life-style. Therapists don't earn $60K.
You seem to have this thing with low expectations. I'm sure many therapists make $60k...some probably double that or more--just depends on the type of therapy and training you have.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on who you want to treat

Bocephus Jones II said:
You seem to have this thing with low expectations. I'm sure many therapists make $60k...some probably double that or more--just depends on the type of therapy and training you have.
I expect to earn aroung $35K when I get going. I don't want to hand hold rich people who just want to be told they are fine and pop some pills. I don't want to provide fashion therapy for the rich and famous. Truth be told, I don't know what niche I'll fall into, but the kind of people I would be drawn to help already have earning limitations due to problems in their life. In the city of Chicago, the "acceptable" hourly charge set for the insurance industry is $53/hour. From that the private therapist must must pay rent on their office, utilities, health insurance and taxes. That leaves you at about $35K. Check out the BLS job database.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Kristin:

Went through some similar crap a couple years ago. In my case, I had just bought a house, and the place I was working let me go, on a Wednesday no less, without anything. Not even paying the rest of the week. Not even allowing me to collect unemployment.

That sucked, and as an accountant, you think it won't suck for long. You think that you're going to land on your feet and never miss a beat. Huh. I was out of work for over 2 months, and drawing down savings to basically zero. Had to sell my bike. That was the worst.

Some of it's my fault: I covered myself up with CC bills and car payments and a smallish mortgage. I had daycare costs for my child, and it left me fighting for my life.

I got a job, and it happened again 4 months later. This time I wasn't out of work though, as I had something else lined up before my month of lag-time was up. No loss there. But I did have to work for a lot less, and had to take a second job to fill in.

Here I am two years later, finally my salary is back where it was at one time. I am relatively pleased with the job, but it's a small business, and any little hiccup could change things.

Best luck to you. I told myself that if I'm ever in the position again, I'm letting it all go, and letting my credit go with it. Sometimes people have fought a long, hard war, but just have to let it go.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
different location?

Washington, DC?

Kristin said:

This week I let my lease go--which was conveniently up on April 1--and I'm moving back to my property outside of Chicago. I think its time to jump ship anyway. Network admins are a dying breed. Besides, I hate the job. Not many job outlooks are on the rise in the US, but depression and divorce sure are. I'm gonna go get that therapy license!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
You don't want to hear how well things have gone for me. I call it dumb luck. I just fall into things, and mostly everything has been a "good choice".

Only bad choice is not buying a property in 1999..(anything!), 100% appreciation would of been nice over 6 years. But then I wouldn't be in this position I'm in today.

Oh well, life goes on.

Kristin said:

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Kristin said:
I'm gonna go get that therapy license!
Maybe you can audition to be the new U.S. Ronald McDonald?

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Sorry to hear about your recent issues.

Just remember,

A bad drama is more fun than perpetual boredom.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Yeah, sure they're being nice cause they've offshored your job for pennies on the dollar. Companies like these need to pay a tariff/tax based on the number/percentage of jobs offshored. Companies are too focused on ROI and not on building a society. Sure, they may be able to cut costs but there will be fewer people who can afford their products.

Some claim this is globalization, I just see it as exploiting the next cheapest work force. It reminds me of slavery back in the 17c, there was no stopping it. When the English started finding real living wages at home, they stopped agreeing to becoming indentured servants. When that workforce dried up slavery filled the enormous need for cheap labor. It's this country's great tradition of exploiting the lower classes, slavery, Chinese, Irish, Mexicans, et al.

The American worker can't compete with someone who's willing to do the same job at literally one tenth of the salary. The ultimate victim will be the American worker. We're creating a society where the average worker will be making $10 an hour.

It's like Wal-Mart hiring illegals.

A company should not be allowed to fire someone just cause they can get someone in India to do the same job for pennies on the dollar. They should be allowed to create new work forces in India, but not at the expense of your job. This should be illegal!

Sorry about the rant, but this issue really pisses me off! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Spyderman, I'm with you. I mean, how could the people we look up to, our Forefathers, the ones who wrote this wonderful "living document" have been so short-sighted? They could never imagine the world we have today.

One example that I hate is the new commercials from Charles Schwab, where the guy is complaining about the investment fees. Come on, dude. You've got $$$$'s in the bank and your complaining about fees? How about those folks who live check to check and get with outrageous power bills? Think they are happy about that? No, but those high bills are creating jobs for someone, and those fees paid to investment firms keep the likes of me and others employed. It's how this country is.

Does everything have to be "Waton-ized"? I don't think this is what Sam Walton had in mind. The US better get some competent fiscal policies now or else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went through this 3 years ago, when the "bank"said that they were going to send some software development an testing offshore. Since my job was to support onshore developers and the testing networks I was laid off a 2nd time.

Long story short, I got my same job back 10 months later. Same cube, same laptop, hell even my pager still had it's address book intact. Got a serious 5 figure increase in salary and an extra weeks vaca.

My decision to go back was not a hard one because I really liked my job then. Now not as much but then, I really enjoyed it. Some of the people that were laid off the same day as I left IT for good. One started a sports bar, another went to Nursing School. Good for them, we all have to make these decisions. I simply enjoy supporting IT and have made a decision to weather this "storm"

What do I think about offshore-sourcing? I think it sucks, and for the most part their product (code), some of it is pure $hit! . Many times it has taken more time ($$overtime$$) to fix the broken code than it would to have it crafted stateside. Hopefully some one in the "Brass" will have a moment of clarity and start looking at the real "cost" of outsourcing and not the effect it has on wall-street..

Also, the access India has to the US Financial Databases is REALLY scary.

Kristin, good luck with your new direction..

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Off-shoring admin & dev jobs

Thanks so much for the support. I'm glad you stuck it out and things came back around to you. I'd stick it out if I loved it and believed in what I am doing, but I am pretty apathetic about tech support and have been for 5 years.

A question I've had about off-shore jobs in both development and administration is that you are putting power into peoples hands who not only DON'T work for you but also don't live inside your borders. Helpdesk is one thing. They just talk to users. But I have some power. I couldn't disrupt the network for long (fail-safe's) but I could bring part of it down for a day or two. Is this a possible terrorist threat? Or am I just nieve.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i'm with you, K. i'm doing the same kind of admin and support you are doing, with the same product. not so sure about paying people a fraction of the job's value, and giving them this much power.

plus, and i don't mean to sound racist, but i can't understand any of the outsourced customer service or admin folks i've conversed with. :confused:

edit: interested in J's asking my boss about a job for ya? we have people in three states.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
plus, and i don't mean to sound racist, but i can't understand any of the outsourced customer service or admin folks i've conversed with. :confused:
They aren't all in India either. There are a ton of Indian folks working locally in our IT depts. I would imagine they speak a lot better English than I do Hindi, but I agree--it's often really hard to discuss really technical stuff with someone you can barely understand--especially over the phone.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So a priest and a rabbi walk into a bar...

I heard this great joke. What do you call a person who speaks one language?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts