Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... is awesome.

I get to pick my hours, it's low-stress (the boss gives me something to do and leaves. I do it at my own pace), I get an awesome keycard and clearance that most people don't have, and it's in a lab (A/C, I love you.). Oh, and it's 100 meters from my last class of the day.

Sure, it's a bit boring sometimes (taking the surface area of leaves? Ooooof.

When I got hired, it was through a family friend. I was so thankful to have a job that I never asked salary. Since they never said anything, I assumed minimum wage. Nope! Got my paycheck today, I'm getting 25% more than I budgeted for.

New bike, I can almost taste you!

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
very, very cool.

except for the 'tasting your bike' part. eww.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
100 meters?!?!!???

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
tomk96 said:
100 meters?!?!!???

Sure. Lab. Science. The metric system :D

·
slow rider
385 Posts
Sounds like an on campus job I had, giving coordinants to locations that fish were collected for the last 80 years. Now it's a book. The Inland Fishes of Mississippi.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
RoadBear said:
Sounds like an on campus job I had, giving coordinants to locations that fish were collected for the last 80 years. Now it's a book. The Inland Fishes of Mississippi.
I have that book....and The fishes of Arkansas, The fishes of Tennessee.....and fishes of Alabama. :thumbsup:

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Congrats o nthe job and more money than you thought! My job is somewhere in the middle. I have to deal with ID 10 T's all day but I get to wear shorts and sandals everyday. Money is okay and the hours are great (7-4)! Bottom line is I am happy to be working!

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
rward325 said:
Congrats o nthe job and more money than you thought! My job is somewhere in the middle. I have to deal with ID 10 T's all day but I get to wear shorts and sandals everyday. Money is okay and the hours are great (7-4)! Bottom line is I am happy to be working!
I also have that choice. Today I declined.

Also happy to be working after most of the year off last year...Pay is decent, I work from home most of the time, and have the freedom to go NNCing at my discretion...

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rockstar2083 said:
Does the lab provide the equipment and time to whip up a batch of Belgium beer?
LOL, I'd be afraid to use most of the equipment. It's either older, slightly radioactive, or very expensive.

That being said, I accidentally drank 3oz of ethanol a few days ago (I had a cup of it for washing, a cup of water next to it). Huuuuuge supply of it, if I so desired. Unfortunately, it turns out that being drunk at work actually really kind of sucks - nothing like trying to put together water potential meters while hammered.

·
Registered
467 Posts
estone2 said:
LOL, I'd be afraid to use most of the equipment. It's either older, slightly radioactive, or very expensive.

That being said, I accidentally drank 3oz of ethanol a few days ago (I had a cup of it for washing, a cup of water next to it). Huuuuuge supply of it, if I so desired. Unfortunately, it turns out that being drunk at work actually really kind of sucks - nothing like trying to put together water potential meters while hammered.
lolz! They won't let us have anything to eat or drink on the bench, even if we're working.

Reminds me of a story that an older family friend told me though. He was in medical school when MLK was assassinated. He was on a pretty liberal campus, and they locked the whole thing down out of riot fears. The med students, stuck in their building with nowhere to go, raided the snack room for coolaid, mixed it with ethanol and all got drunk.

·
slow rider
385 Posts
PlasticMotif said:
I have that book....and The fishes of Arkansas, The fishes of Tennessee.....and fishes of Alabama. :thumbsup:
I'll bet my name doesn't appear anywhere in there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sorry to be the buzz kill of the group, but I'm a laboratory scientist so I feel obligated to say this. You really shouldn't be eating or drinking anything in or from a lab (unless you are in the Pillsbury Lab). Reagent grade ethanol often contains other trace chemicals to make it undrinkable and also for tax purposes. These can be many things including benzene which is not a good thing to drink. Beyond that, Imagine if you unknowingly got a radioactive isotope, carcinogenic compound, or infectious agent on your hand, then on your sandwich while you're eating lunch at the bench and you end up eating some those things... Bad situation. Leave the food/drink outside the lab area and never consume anything purchased for experimental purposes.

Ok sorry, rant over...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts