Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that may remeber a few of my spordaic posts you'll be aware that I'm originally from the UK.

Time trialling is huge over there and in the late 80's to early 90's the 'funnybike' was king.

Back in '87 at the ripe old age of 17 I bought a custom built Chas Roberts TT bike with a 24" front wheel, C Record, tubs - the lot. It took me a year to pay for. I loved the bike but actually only rode it a handfull of times before selling it to fund a trip to the US (my first time on a plane - Pan Am, it was bloody awful).

I always regretted selling that bike and have lusted after one ever since. Imagine my joy when I came across one on e-bay. I sat up until 2 in the morning last Friday bidding on it, but lost out at the last minute. :(

I contacted the buyer to discover that he only really wanted the Pista chainset. We've worked out a deal and the rest is mine (excluding the bars). :p So here she is.

She's going to get a repaint and maybe some C-Record and then I'm going to revisit my youth - glad this one doesn't have the 24" front wheel. What do you think?:thumbsup:

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
The bike I raced on the most was a red Chas Roberts. That was a sweet bike; I got it used around 1979. It was a thing of beauty. I leave a search on e-bay for Roberts in cycling, so I saw this one come up. Some day, I'm gonna score a late '70's Roberts.

Yeah, 1987 wasn't exactly the glory years for Pan Am.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
That straight block makes my legs hurt!

I like the look of that Roberts. It smacks of UK time trialing with single ring up front and raised d/t shifter mount. Great find.

You EBay it locally or UK/US? Find some nice cowhorn bars and you're set. You going to run a 6 or try for an ultra 7 in the back?

Personally, I wouldn't repaint. I happen to like the color and graphics Roberts was using at that time.

As for Pan-AM, I used to do leasing at Citibank to Pan Am at that time and I'm not surprised. In 1985 they sold off their Pacific Routes to United and then their NYC-LHR routes, all to get cash, before filing for the equivalent of administration in the States. Juan Trippe continues to roll in his grave.

Hope all is well.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm only going to repaint if I can get replacement decals, either that or I will just get someone like Bob Jackson to mask the decals and repaint in same style - I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I like to get things back to 'as new' condition.

My original Roberts TT bike was SL tubing, C Record seat post, rear mech and chainset, dia compe aero brakes and modolo kronos brake levers and shifter topped off with a white Regal saddle!!! If I could recreate that I'd be delighted. C Record is easy to find (I know a man with heaps) the other bits could be a problem.

I sourced it on ebay in UK and will have it sent to NZ once it's refinished. Wish I'd never sold the original one..........

Tell you what that trip to the states back in the 80's was cool, LA, San Diego, San fran etc etc. The flight there was terrible.................Ended up going back 3 more times. Must revisit one day. Due to fly to UK with new born in September, might stop off in San Fran!!! Once I get to the UK I can see a visit to Roberts in Croydon coming on.........

You should check out their website;

http://www.robertscycles.com/

I have one of their compact race bikes, great ride, same colour and components as on their website;

http://www.robertscycles.com/p_racing.html

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
OK Roberts fans,

You will not believe what I found on ebay...Now I really need to sell one or two from the garage. There are not a whole bunch of clean Roberts floating around the US. This one looks beautiful. Not sure if I'll keep the fenders on it; I'm a big fan of fenders, but red may be a bit much for me. Can't wait for it to show up.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, that is a great Roberts. I saw that the other day and would have bid on it if it had been a cm of so smaller. I have to say I'm not into fenders, or mudguards as we English prefer to call 'em, but I actually really like the red. If I were you I'd leave them on.

Can I ask, what did you pay in the end?

My Roberts TT bike is now winging it's way back to them for a respray before being shipped out to me in New Zealand.

Shame Roberts can no longer get those old red and gold frame decals, I'm a lover of them and the 80's overspray on white that was their trademark for a while!!!

Suprised that yours is made of Reynolds, they were quite big on Columbus for years, still are.

DannyBoy.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Yeah my '70s one was 531 too. So they either switched along the way or did both for a while. I ended up paying $700 US for it. In some ways I paid too much; in other ways it's a great deal.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, regaining that sensation when you ride it will be priceless, you didn't pay too much.

If you do a search you'll see i refurbished an old Raleigh I got 20 yrs ago. Cost a bomb but it brings back so many feelings riding it. Same reason I'm a Roberts fan, from my TT days. Must scan and post a snap of me riding my 1st Roberts!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.