Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Known the guy twenty years. In practice with him for ten. Before this, I would have said (and have said), there is a stand-up guy's stand-up guy.
Then, last week, he declares he "needs a change," and he's out of here "end of March."
He could do whatever he wants to with his life -- f*ck him -- but there are two years left on our lease. Small firm, four occupants -- three of us, one sub-tenant. Can't handle the overhead unless we scramble to bring someone else in, which is not the thing you want to do on a short timetable.
No one is personally obligated on the lease, but, even so, won't they be taping my picture up on the cash register with the little sticky that says "take no checks from this guy"?
What about the business ethics of walking away from the lease? The personal ethics of making your partners and alleged friends scramble to recreate their lives on his timetable?
It's not even as if he's doing this for a killer business opportunity. I even could be happy about that for him, maybe kind of. It's all so incomprehensible and stupid.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I have asked him whether he needed to take a sabbatical or up his med's or whatever. it has taken a while for the implications -- and the stupidity of it all -- to sink in. I was trying to be like no biggie weirder things have happened (and they have), but the effrontery of it all is building up in my shorts and starting to chafe, youknowhatimean?
Yeah, he knows that ain't nobody is a fan of this. The third partner is 65 and likely would have hung around for another year at least and maybe even until the lease ran out in two years, and then we would have had a decision to make, but this lease thing, with two years left on it, in not a great market, is killing me.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Yeah, it never gets old. Fortunately, all non-lawyers are honest, hard-working, and decent people, so we scumbags have upstanding people to hang out with after we're done screwing people at the office all day.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Maybe there is something about his current situation that is bothering him that could be remedied. If all the partners could sit and discuss it maybe he could be persuaded to stay a little longer. This is assuming you haven't already done this.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mickey-mac said:
Yeah, it never gets old. Fortunately, all non-lawyers are honest, hard-working, and decent people, so we scumbags have upstanding people to hang out with after we're done screwing people at the office all day.
I sense sarcasm.

When I started law school, my dad would simply not lay off the lawyer jokes. It gets old, especially when someone does it to your face.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I sense sarcasm.

When I started law school, my dad would simply not lay off the lawyer jokes. It gets old, especially when someone does it to your face.
Lawyer jokes I can take. However, when someone posts about problems resulting from a breakup with a business partner, he doesn't deserve a response telling him everyone in his profession is dirt. I doubt the response would have been the same if bill hadn't mentioned that it was his <i>law</i> partner.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
if only it were that simple.
there truly may be something going on, and I've asked several times, but nothing else has been forthcoming. He just repeats the same bs.
and, when I say that this is out of character, lawyer jokes and all, it's out of character.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
if you have a personal relationship with the guy

you should discuss how this is really gonna F you and that maybe he could work out a better exit strategy. If he's deaf to your problems, work late one night and cut out and leave him with the lease. you could always relocate.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bill said:
if only it were that simple.
there truly may be something going on, and I've asked several times, but nothing else has been forthcoming. He just repeats the same bs.
and, when I say that this is out of character, lawyer jokes and all, it's out of character.
Maybe he really screwed something up and your firm is about to be sued...

:eek:

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Maybe he really screwed something up and your firm is about to be sued...

:eek:
insightful - you're gonna be a good lawyer. I hope for bill's sake, you're wrong.

Bill, I've been through a partnership dissolution, and it's not pleasant. In my case I was on the other side of the coin, and staying would've been more hellish for my partner. People change, needing to alter their lives, and are often not able to stop it from happening. That doesn't make it any easier, convenient, or right. Hopefully, you guys have agreements in place that address open issues and responsibilities following a dissolution. It seems like he should bear some responsibilities for your financial challenges and contracted commitments, and surrender all interest in your clients, revenue, and tangible assets for not giving reasonable time notice for dissolving the partnership.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
You're scaring the sh!t out of me

First, you post about someone getting hurt on your Sunday group ride -- a ride on which I have been a guest and an unavoidable incident that could have happened to anyone. Now, you post about a partner of 10 years' duration that you have known for 20 years f*cking you in a three-lawyer firm with a fourth subtenant. Here I am sitting in my three lawyer firm with one subtenant. We have been partners for 9 happy years; one of my partners and I met in 1978 when we were Capitol Hill interns and have been friends ever since. Your plight just hits too close to home -- only worse. I think that we have 3+ years on our lease. You know how when your kids are small and you hear horror stories about other kids that get hurt or die and then you just go into your kids' rooms when they are sleeping to see if they are OK? That's how I feel right now. But, my partners will think that I am stranger than they already believe that I am if I start walking into their offices at random times and asking how they are.

I don't think that there is anything I can do to help you in a concrete way. But, if you want to commiserate non-publicly, send me a PM.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
you're exactly right, of course. change is intimidating, it always comes at some cost, and in this case, maybe even damned expensive, but in the end, these things have a way of working themselves out.
It just seems so useless, though, and the timing so arbitrary. He swears he doesn't know what he's going to be doing, and I believe him. None of us gets the consolation, such as it is, of seeing someone, anyone doing something that makes sense.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I don't think that there is anything I can do to help you in a concrete way. But, if you want to commiserate non-publicly, send me a PM.
thank you, Mark.
Hopefully, it's not in the water. Probably isn't.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Address these issues in the next partnership agreement

I know this doesn't help now but things will work out, so you go out and find another good lawyer, maybe take a hit for a few months and your on with your life. Roll up your sleeves and stop crying. Think about the wives of the vets over in iraq and afganistan, waiting to hear from their husbands maybe once every week or so, wondering if their still alive. Thats pressure, thats life, be grateful you have a decent profession where you aren't physically endangered every day of your life (miners)
An earlier poster said to vent with the partner and let him know how he is f'ing you. Maybe he can stay till you find a suitable replacement. He may have his own crisis that he is dealing with that pales in comparison to your little crisis.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
bill, I have nothing constructive to add but I did want to say I am sorry to hear you are having such a problem. I hope things work out for the best somehow.

S

1 - 20 of 44 Posts