Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I get that too when I'm out of shape, but it only lasts for a few minutes. Back when I was really out of shape (started running XC in high school, my first experience ever with sports....boy that was a painful first week), it would sometimes last a lot longer, similar to what you're describing. I was once told that it's due to dehydration. I really have no idea :confused:

iliveonnitro said:
Any ideas what this is? It's still going on an hour and a half after i rode (for 2hrs, 33mi). It feels really weird. If I inhale and hold my breath for a second or two my lungs and throat tingle. It doesn't hurt but it has to be the strangest feeling ever.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
exercise-induced asthma?

I'm not sure what you mean by "tingle," but if you're feeling some constriction or irritation in the airways, you may be getting a bit of a very common condition known as exercised-induced asthma. It's a swelling of the airways, usually short-lived, usually not serious. It's more likely if you''ve exercised harder or longer than you're accustomed to, and more common when the air is cold. I've experienced it, but only in pretty cold conditions.

Here's probably way more information than you would want:

http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic155.htm

(this site requires registration, but it's free)

·
Registered
36 Posts
To increase lung capacity...

Here's a quick exercise I learned back in the day, playing trumpet, to increase lung capacity...

While standing, take a deep breath, pretty much as deep as you possibly can, then hold it. While holding it, pull your chest in and stick out your stomach. Hold that position for a few seconds. This forces air into the lower part of your lungs, which many people (usually those who don't exercise as much) really don't use. Fair warning: this surprised me and hurt a bit the first time I did it, but I was out of shape. I still do it occasionally just for practice. kindof like a "lung stretch", if you know what I mean.

As to the aforementioned exercise induced asthsma, I have this condition (nothing like that good southern Californian air!) and have never noticed a tingling in my lungs or throat, but of course, YMMV.

On the other hand, my teeth tend to tingle during/immediately after a hard climb...

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JCavilia said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "tingle," but if you're feeling some constriction or irritation in the airways, you may be getting a bit of a very common condition known as exercised-induced asthma. It's a swelling of the airways, usually short-lived, usually not serious. It's more likely if you''ve exercised harder or longer than you're accustomed to, and more common when the air is cold. I've experienced it, but only in pretty cold conditions.

Here's probably way more information than you would want:

http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic155.htm

(this site requires registration, but it's free)
Thanks, but that can't be it. I do not have trouble breathing, and my airway doesn't constrict. In fact, this ride was only for 2hrs and at 75-80% of my MHR. (MHR at 201, I averaged 155-157bpm. I've done 3.5hrs at 85%MHR with no problems before). It is sort-of like the tingling feeling described in emckee's teeth post (i've had that before, a long time ago, non-cycling related), but it doesn't hurt at all. I have no nausea, no trouble breathing, no itching, and not even stridor.

I got to test a fireman's oxygen tank back in 1st grade, and, if I remember correctly, my lungs tingled in a similar fashion. I have no idea though because that was over 13 years ago when I was very young. I don't even see how I could have been hyperventilating because I wasn't really out of breath and I never really pushed it hard on this ride.

Any other ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hmmm.... my teeth tingle if I have more than 3 drinks.

After a really hard ride(or run), especially in cold weather, I cough like I have emphasema for about 24 hours. If I don't have this symptom after a race, i know I didn't give a full effort.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Semi-serious tuba player here (obviously). I've found that the tingling sensation in your lungs is present when you run the alveoli (air sacs) in your lungs to their capacity many times (biking hard, attempting Ride of the Valkyries on a tuba, etc). Basically it stretches out these sacs and allows them to expand further the next time you use them hard. It is similar to excercising your muscles in that it minorly damages the tissue in order to cause a healing that strengthens. The tingling sensation is very slight tearing of the tissue, this serves to expand your capacity and make the tissue more pliable, allowing for more efficient inhalation. If you do it too much (as I have on occasion), you can expand into your ribcage, this hurts immensely, but eventually everything grows to accomodate. The feeling is not a bad one, but in excess it can mess you up, you'll find though that as you go along it gets harder to get, you're probably best just not worrying about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.