Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This year is a tough year to get a bike as there will be a new generation of guppos avaiable by fall. Decisions decisions... decsisions. So, what's a man to do when his wife wants to give him a brand spanking new bike for his MBA graduation?

Secure the frameset to use for the summer and get the gruppo later. That's exactly what I did.

So, the good stuff. This is a 2008 Merlin Cyrene dressed with Chris King HS and a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork. The SRAM Rival and Mavic Cosmic Elete wheelset are from my CX. I'm still not sure what gruppo to get and wheelset to use. Let's just say that this dream bike is a work in progress.

Once you see the engravings on the frame, you'd understand why I chose this bike instead of the other Ti bikes like the Extralight, CR, Jewel and Legend. It's unlike anything I've seen. It's oozing with elegance as the frame is without any paint or decals. From afar, it looks like a naked frame but its beauty is revealed as you get a closer look. The detail is absolutely amazing.

· Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly what one of the guys at the shop said.

terry b said:
It's quite beautiful.

I've wanted one ever since I first saw the engraving. Had this brilliant idea of doing a wash with turquoise paint, cleaning up the surface and just leaving the paint in the ruts. That, would be a really cool look.

Thanks Terry B! I'm flirting with the thought of using blue machinist ink/paint.

Joe

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
That's a real beauty! This is the first time I've seen an engraved frame. That might have more scroll work then my tenor sax.

· Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys... I was set to get an Extralight when I entered my LBS but I saw this bike hanging next to it. The 2008 model had more engraving done than the Cyrenes done in the past.

I took it for a 47 mile ride today and found it to be a delightful ride. It's my first entry to the world of titanium. It had a different road feel from steel or carbon and definitely alu. I think I did good on this purchase. :)

next... to obsess about what wheelset to get :D

Joe

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Every time I close this thread, I lose my hard on.

· Registered
2,620 Posts
I'm a big Merlin fan (surprise, surprise) and intend to put the 2009 D/A on when available.

I have a Magia frame I'm riding now. The components on there will go on an old Merlin road frame from 1998, which is slightly heavier but slightly more comfortable.

I've seen the Cyrene and it is beautiful!

· Registered
2,177 Posts
i've always admired the engraved design on that frameset. I think it lends itself to record/chorus, with handbuilt wheels. Modern classic. how's the ride? is it a good climbing bike? or better suited to long days in the saddle...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.