Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea was to get a modern lightweight bike with even more traditional looks. Hence I kept the original Powerarms as they have a classic shape compared to Claviculas and the new Powerarms. Combined with the TA titanium axle they're not that much heavier. I also wanted a very clean look. Pics were made during a training ride so there's some dirt and dust. Still have to change the inner chainring (CT2 instead of TA), the shifter lever (BTP carbon instead of Campagnolo) and the saddle. Also thinking about switching to Speedplay pedals. Bike is shown here with training/cobbles wheels (Record/DT competition/Mavic Open Pro with Chorus cassette). It weights 7,3 kilo with these wheels so the final setup will be around 6,6.

Build list (in red what changed compared to the previous setup)

Frame: Merlin Extralight titanium ; 58 cm w/Syntace titanium seatpost bolt & titanium Merlin headset badge
Fork: Ritchey Pro alu/carbon ; Ø 1" ; painted black
Headset: Chris King Aheadset ; Ø 1" w/Chris King cap and Syntace titanium bolt
Stem: Syntace Force 99 ; 105 mm w/Syntace 1" shim and titanium kit
Handlebar: Schmolke SL ; 42 cm (c-c) ; Ø 26,0 mm
Ribbon: classic cotton ribbon ; black
Brake handles: Campagnolo Record Ergopower QS 2007 (right) & Record TT (non-Ergopower) (left)
Downtube shifter: 1980's Campagnolo Record (to be changed to BTP carbon lever)

Brake cables: Campagnolo
Shifting cables: Campagnolo
Brakes: Zero Gravity w/Campagnolo rubber
Bottom bracket: TA Specialité Axix Titanium Pro ; JIS ; 108 mm
BB bolts: Tiso aluminium ; JIS
Crankarms: Storck Powerarms ; JIS ; 172,5 mm
Chainrings: Stronglight CT² ; 53/39
Chainring bolts: Tiso aluminium
Pedals: Time Atac XS titan/carbon
Chain: KMC 10SL ; silver
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece ; Ø 27,2 mm ; 240 mm
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR ; black (to be changed to AX-lightness Endurance
Bottle holders: Tune Wasserträger
Cassette: Campagnolo Record 12-25
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Record 10-speed w/Fyber-lite carbon inner plate
Front derailleur: Campagnolo Record QS ; braze-on w/black Campagnolo clamp ; Syntace titanium bolts
Wheels: t.b.a
Tubes: t.b.a
QRs: Tune AC14

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
Awesome. Is it an older frame? Or did you choose to have a new frame built with a 1" headset?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Applesauce said:
Awesome. Is it an older frame? Or did you choose to have a new frame built with a 1" headset?
Thanks, it's a 1993 Extralight hence the 1" headset and no clamp for the seat post. It started its life in diguise for a pro rider ("TVM" team paintjob and "Gazelle" decals) so when I got it (with close to no milage as it was only used for climbing) the polished finish was ruined. Hence having it sprayed black was the best option. The decals are also paint. Weight of the frame with paintjob, titanium bolt for the seat post, titanium badge on the headtube but without headset, bottom bracket or fork is 1304 grams which is very nice for a 16 year old 58 cm frame :)

Wheelset: to be anounced. Something classic yet modern, just like the bike ;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Pretty. Yep switch from the heavy pedals to speedplays and new wheels and that will be one light bike.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's a beautiful Merlin. Nice job keeping an old school ride contemporary. I tried keeping my 1992 Merlin Mountain bike going but the selection of new suspension forks available with a 1" steerer is nearly obsolete so I wound up with a Marzocchi that totally screwed up the handling. Ultimately I wound up turning my Merlin into a rigid single speed and I'm remembering what mountain biking was all about in its infancy. Funny how your 16 year old bike can be built up so it doesn't have to take a back seat to anything being built today.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sweet ride! What's the story behind the front down tube shifter? I also really like the skinny tube look. Do you know what the TT and DT tube diameters are?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
NICE!!! Can't believe it is a '93!! Where is the picture taken? Let me guess- England? Looks like the classic English countryside!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kuma601 said:
That's a good looking ride. Nice build-up!
What are your prospective wheels?
Well, I ditched my Lightweights because I was fed up with changing tubular tires when punctured, so I want something clincher and low profile to match the bike, with a certain mix of classic and modern looks. In the end I came up with Campagnolo Record hubs (the pre-2007 polished ones, 28h front and 32h rear), Tune QR's, DT revolution spokes in front and DT competition for the rear wheel, laced to Corima Winium low profile full carbon clincher rims with black aluminium DT spoke nipples.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ride-Fly said:
NICE!!! Can't believe it is a '93!! Where is the picture taken? Let me guess- England? Looks like the classic English countryside!!!
Well, actually it's the Dutch countryside near Amsterdam. Not a hill in sight, not even a mole hill :D

I'll take some pics in a few weeks when I'll be in France for some riding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rook said:
Sweet ride! What's the story behind the front down tube shifter? I also really like the skinny tube look. Do you know what the TT and DT tube diameters are?
I'll have to check for the TT and DT but the ST takes a 35mm clamp for the derailleur. The DT shifter is a combination of weight saving (80 grams due to the non-Ergopower breaklever, lesser cable length and - coming soon - a 3,6 grams carbon shift lever from BTP) and the fact that 90 percent of the time I use the inner chain ring so I hardly shift gears in front. It also gives a nice clean looking bike with less cables.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Dang dude, that is one fine looking machine you've put together there. There's not much that goes by that makes me envious, but this one is making me drool.

Love the fact that you decided to paint it black. It looks great and is so totally stealth.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, black was my first and only plan once I learned that the having it polished again was no option. Funny, some time ago a fellow cyclist wondered at first glance if it was an integrated seat post because the color of the Thomson matches perfectly with the color of the frame and there's no clamp :)

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Ruimteaapje said:
Well, actually it's the Dutch countryside near Amsterdam. Not a hill in sight, not even a mole hill :D

I'll take some pics in a few weeks when I'll be in France for some riding.
Well, there's always "het Kopje van Bloemendaal". :wink5:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rogger said:
Well, there's always "het Kopje van Bloemendaal". :wink5:
Used to ride to Bloemendaal, do "het Kopje" six or seven times by riding a loop, then back to Amsterdam but it's no fun after a while :D

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I absolutely LOVE the painted titanium frame AND fork! Anybody who has the style sense to paint a bare titanium frame and a naked carbon fork is a class act in my book. If you are smart enough to paint the frame then I don't care WHAT components you put on the bike; it just LOOKS GOOD.

And it's got a pump peg-what; are you EXTRA SMART?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lovely bike, I thought I'd misread the year of the bike at first! Just goes to prove that class is timeless!
Do you know who in TVM rode it? 1993 was a year in which one of my cycling heroes Robert Millar was riding for them but a 58 frame would be way too big for him and they would only I guess give climbing frames to the top riders so my guess would be Jesper Skibby going by size.
Whatever, great bike and enjoy it in France where I spent a happy time in the company of some Dutch club riders as we all recovered from the 2000 Etape du Tour!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bike was owned by Steven Rooks (TdF king of the mountains and Alpes d'Huez stage winner in 1988) and first used in the 1994 season (when he joined TVM). He's a customer of my local bike shop here in Amsterdam.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts