Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the new Topolino C29s from Wise Cycle Buys and took them out for a spin this morning. Wow, they were great. I'll throw some thoughts on the Wheel board after a few more rides but I thought I'd share the pics of my Compact SL with the wheels here. They're definately aggressive looking compared to my handbuilts...

·
gone biking...
175 Posts
oneslowmofo said:
I just received the new Topolino C29s from Wise Cycle Buys and took them out for a spin this morning. Wow, they were great. I'll throw some thoughts on the Wheel board after a few more rides but I thought I'd share the pics of my Compact SL with the wheels here. They're definately aggressive looking compared to my handbuilts...
Nice, but I'm not feelin' those wheels.

Is this yours too?

I like it much much better. It's in my "best looking bikes" folder.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep

That was mine. I sold it and got one size larger (and compact geometry). I agree that the topos are a bit extreme. After I mounted them I thought that they may be resold if the ride was noticably better than my other wheels. But MAN, the wheels felt great this morning. Maybe it was a tailwind but I felt faster today and the ride is really comfortable for a deeper dish wheel. Compared to the American Classic 420, the topolinos win hands down. Now if I could only get used to the looks of these bad boys.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I think it looks pretty nice.

I've steered clear of Topos simply because they are so damn loud looking. Seems to me, they work with a simple bike like a Moots, not sure with anything more visually challenging. May have to re-think my bias.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Felt the same way Terry

It was a short debate when think about which bike I should mount these on. C50 or Moots. The Colnago would be way too much with these wheels on them. I think the Moots pulls it off.

·
gone biking...
175 Posts
Oh, I think I know what's throwing it off for me. The spokes are gold and the frame is silver. They don't compliment each other that well.

Still a nice bike though.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Man,those are some busy wheels.

They better ride good! I'm just messin' wit you man,nice ride.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spin

The topos would be lookin sweet on the Tarmac!

You've built a nice stable of high quality rides. Someday, when I grow up, I want to be like you!

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Always a pleasure to see one of the Vamoots club get some free time on RBR :). The wheels aren't really my style, but who cares...you've got a Moots.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just have to say that they look pretty good. But what really matters is performance!! I've been racing for quite a few years and am a designer as a profession. When it comes to bikes, you have to buy for performance. If you get good looks too, then that's a bonus.

Very sweet ride, nice campy too.

Are you going to part with the American classics? If so, send me a PM with some details.

·
building my engine
163 Posts
weird spokes

I'm just a little curious..... can anyone tell me why are these spokes so weird looking or unique? Do they serve any purpose at all?:confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Agreed. I don't find them nearly as challenging in this setup.

Can you comment on the ride quality? After months of test rides and deliberation, I am very close to pulling the trigger on a build quite close to yours. in particular, I am thinking of the same frame and touch points and was wondering about all-day comfort. Would you recommend your ride for 8+ hours in the saddle? Anything you would change to make it more "ultra-friendly"?

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
What are you talkin' bout man? Your the rockstar!

oneslowmofo said:
The topos would be lookin sweet on the Tarmac!

You've built a nice stable of high quality rides. Someday, when I grow up, I want to be like you!
It seems like your getting a new ride every month.You have had way more highend bikes than I'll ever have.One of your best,in my opinion,is this one that parted from you unexpectingly. That C40 was one classy bike,nice scheme and built up really well.

And there is no way the Tarmac could pimp those wheels.They sort of remind me of those wheels you would see on girls bikes with those beads that ran up and down the spokes when they spun,but hey they look good on your bike!

Here is a picture of one of your better bikes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spin - you kill me!

SPINDAWG said:
It seems like your getting a new ride every month.You have had way more highend bikes than I'll ever have.One of your best,in my opinion,is this one that parted from you unexpectingly. That C40 was one classy bike,nice scheme and built up really well.

And there is no way the Tarmac could pimp those wheels.They sort of remind me of those wheels you would see on girls bikes with those beads that ran up and down the spokes when they spun,but hey they look good on your bike!

Here is a picture of one of your better bikes.
Wheels like those you'd see on GIRLS bikes with those beads? That's friggin hilarious! That's it, I'm gettin those beads. They'll look sweet.

As for the C40 - that was my favorite ride and really started my love affair with Colnagos. It does look fine, doesn't she?

Now the Hyperons look good in a minimalistic stealth kind of way.

As to the many bikes that I've had - yeah, it's definately been a weakness of mine. I've turned a leaf and have committed to not replacing any of my rides in 2006. We'll see how long that lasts.

As for the ride report, I'll get one out after a few more rides. But so far, I really like them.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
SlowMofo

Being a Topo clad SL owner myself I felt compelled to add a picture of me Moots in a rare 37 min long bout of sunshine here in Sogville (Portland).
I must say though, I like the hypertons better.... ;)
I'm finding myself lusting over a pair of Zipp 303's I fondled at the LBS.........

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Being a Topo clad SL owner myself I felt compelled to add a picture of me Moots in a rare 37 min long bout of sunshine here in Sogville (Portland).
I must say though, I like the hypertons better.... ;)
I'm finding myself lusting over a pair of Zipp 303's I fondled at the LBS.........
Damn! You're a lot shorter than I pictured you to be. Nice looking Moots, BTW.....despite the decided lack of Campy kit.:p

303's, eh? Friday, I was in an LBS and ran my paws over some Reynolds Stratus DV's and some Stratus DV-UL's. Ooooeeerrrrrrrrr. Very nice, and the price isn't as likely to cause an aneurysm to burst as that of Lightweights. Troy really needs to convince Reynolds to let him build with their rims.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Yep,

A towering 5'6" I be, less to get up the hills! :p yes a set of Reynolds carbon clinchers would be the extreme, greatest, incomparable, maximum, paramount, pre-eminent, superlative, supreme, transcendent, unequalable, unmatchable, unsurpassable, utmost wheelset for me Moots. but I'm thinking Zippy's are cheaper to be had albeit not as gratifying. We shall see, as I'm finding the need for Troy to build me a nice set of cross wheels for me "Stumpy"

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
A towering 5'6" I be, less to get up the hills! :p yes a set of Reynolds carbon clinchers would be the extreme, greatest, incomparable, maximum, paramount, pre-eminent, superlative, supreme, transcendent, unequalable, unmatchable, unsurpassable, utmost wheelset for me Moots. but I'm thinking Zippy's are cheaper to be had albeit not as gratifying. We shall see, as I'm finding the need for Troy to build me a nice set of cross wheels for me "Stumpy"
As it happens, I was thinkin' about the tubie version of the Reynolds rims/wheels. It's the weight weenie in me whose rat I'm tryin' to feed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.