Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a prime example of "being glad I have really good bike handling skills secondary to all my mountain biking" just yesterday.

My wife and I were doing an easy zone 1 & 2 road ride last night around the lake. This is an area that sees 100's of cyclist/day and the roads marked for 15 and 20 mph. For some unknown reason I didn't take the full lane going around a blind corner( I always take the lane)and some *******, in a truck, pulling his boat, punched it and started going around me. Midway through the corner a truck pulling a boat heading in the opposite direction suddenly appeared.

As soon as the truck that was passing me saw he was about to have a head-on he swerved over and hit me with the boat/trailer. I had no choice but to go off road which was a 4-5" drop into a rutted out, bar ditch that had rocks, logs and roots littering it.

It was all down a mild hill so I was carrying about 25 mph of speed as this was all occurring. I figured I was going down but I just got in a very aggressive position, stayed off my brakes, pulled the front tire over upcoming objects and bunny-hopping when I had to. I swear I could hear my carbon wheels breaking along the way.

Once it was all over, I hopped back to the tarmac and to my surprise, I didn't have a flat or a broken wheel. My ankle was a little beaten up as I had inadvertently came unclipped once and it bounced around on my chainring before I could get clipped back in.

I will spare the details on this last section as I don't want to cause any controversy but a did run into the guy as he was undocking his boat. I think he now understands that he almost killed me.

After all was said and done my wife said, I can't believe you survived that, it was the scariest thing I have ever seen.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
That's excellent. The part that impresses me the most is staying off the brakes. I wouldn't have had the testicular fortitude to do that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's excellent. The part that impresses me the most is staying off the brakes. I wouldn't have had the testicular fortitude to do that.
You learn to stay off the brakes and roll through stuff with a lot of technical mountain biking but I didn't think I would make it when I scanned what was quickly coming up and then I saw my skinny little road tire leading the way.

We finished our ride after my "visit" with the truck driver and then looped back around and took a close look where I was riding the ditch and I was really shocked that I made it.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
You learn to stay off the brakes and roll through stuff with a lot of technical mountain biking but I didn't think I would make it when I scanned what was quickly coming up and then I saw my skinny little road tire leading the way.

We finished our ride after my "visit" with the truck driver and then looped back around and took a close look where I was riding the ditch and I was really shocked that I made it.
That explains why I suck at technical riding. I cling to the brakes like a gerbil on greased teflon, even more so after breaking my ankle 3 years ago (the bone heals in six weeks, but the psycho-trauma seems to linger.)

Also, was thinking about this on today's ride, and realized if I was forced off the road I would die impaled on a redwood tree.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice work man, good skills! Glad you came out without injury and have some bragging rights to boot. I thoroughly concur that solid MTB skills pay dividends on the road. Riding rollers maybe even more-so. After riding rollers for a year or so I can really hold my line well, look behind me for extended periods without veering to one side or another, etc.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
MTB skills + a Guardian Angel riding with you :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts