Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I call myself Zipp2001 because I'm a Zippaholic ! I have had these two Zipp's in my bike stable since 1993 and they never get old throwing my leg over the beam. I might have slowed over the years as I've gotten older but when I'm on the Zipp I can still ripped out a good TT. I've had well over 30 road bikes in my stable throughout the years, and have given most away but these two are the ones I just can't part with.

Do you have a bike or bike's in your stable that you just can't part with ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dheipa97hZs

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
OK, I'm not quite that callous. But bikes are disposable. You wreck them. They wreck you. They get displaced by technology, hub spacing, whatever. Keep riding. Treasure your old rides. Update if possible. Upgrade when it's worth while. Just tools. I still keep my Colnago Dream Plus frame with it's cracked headtube because it's beautiful, but useless.
Nope. I'd change bikes every six months if I had the means to do so. Just a machine. And the faster it goes, the better.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Bring on the Beams!

I too love the beam bikes...I raced Zipp, Softrides and the Trek Y-Foil. I set my PR's on the SR's...love that springy carbon beam that made the road disappear beneath you and it did wonders for my spin technique...

Cervelo has a beam-er out. A bit pricey but I'd love to show up with one of these. Sadly my days of PR's are well behind me...

The Zipp's are great bikes...Maybe they will come out with a new model one day....I'd like to see them make a comeback.

Attachments

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RacerX right now you have 5 different forms of Beam/Non Triangle design bikes on the market. The Zipp2001 had a suspension system but I've always had it locked out.

Cervelo
Dimond (Zipp engineer help design, modern day Zipp2001)
Omni (Tri Rig)
Falco V
Ventum Z

I marshal for a Tri series during the summer and it is great to see some of these bikes showing up at events. When I marshal I'm on my Zipp2001 and people always want to ask questions about it. Then when they find out it's 23 years old they have a hard time believing me because they've never seen one until now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts