Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, it obviously is not restored to factory conditions, but I am extremely happy with it. It was my dad's frame that he had painted and we took a mish mash of parts we had around as well as ones that we could find cheap to put this commuter together.

I learned a lot more putting this together about different parts on a bike than I knew before and I think everyone should put together a bike before spending $3,000 on a new carbon fiber one.

I am the kind of person to want the latest and greatest but it feels good to ride a bike nobody else in the world has.

It has a nice story behind it and it is a really nice ride too. Here are a few yummy pictures. Thanks for looking. What do you think?

Check out my gallery for all the pictures...

https://gallery.me.com/zackfanning#100153&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=32

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
That's a beee-youtiful bike!

Love the color.

Looks like it's ready for another 40+ years of riding.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
I'll copy & repost my reply since you did too (mods didn't move from bd forum):

FatTireFred said:
nice... btw, 'mish mash' parts is often how it was done back in the day. what is the black thing in the middle of the tt? and wouldn't a 1966 model have nutted brake mounts and a clamp on dt shifter mount (not braze on), or did you modify the frame/fork?

and this prob belongs in retro or commuting/touring as it has nothing to do w/ bd.

·
angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
very nice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

Fattirefred:
It has been retrofitted to fit some modern conveniences like water bottle, bike pump, larger gearing etc. The black in the middle is some tape to keep the cable in place until I find matching brackets to the other two.

We actually have the original receipt dated 1966 as well as a GE Company Magazine published picture of my dad (who works for GE) in the 70's riding it.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Wow that came out beautiful. What an awesome classic, yet contemporary piece of beauty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.