Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys sorry it took so long to get these pictures posted. But here is my new baby for the season. I just picked it up last night.

Here are the specs broken down:
  • 2009 Argon 18 Gallium Pro Size: MEDIUM [990 grams]
  • SRAM Red Group
  • Reynolds Assault Full Carbon Clincher Wheelset
  • 3T Ergosium Full Carbon Bars
  • 3T Arx-Team Stem
  • ControlTech Carbon Water Bottle Cages
  • San Marcos SKN Saddle
  • Featherlite Brakes 197 grams for the pair
  • Speedplay Zero Ti Pedals

The bike weighs in at 14.3 lbs with the 46mm Assault Wheels which I find amazing. I hope everyone has a successful and safe race season. :thumbsup:

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
I like it a lot. I've always liked the look of straight forks. I use the same wheels on my R3 and find them to be perfect. What is the silver portion on the top of the head tube for? Headset? Is it a separate piece from the frame or attached? Is the white Argon 18 on the down tube a sticker or covered by clear coat? What about the molecule symbols? What size seatpost? Hope you don't mind all of the questions, it's just that I'm keeping a few frames in mind for when I'm finished with my R3...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kyler2001 said:
I like it a lot. I've always liked the look of straight forks. I use the same wheels on my R3 and find them to be perfect. What is the silver portion on the top of the head tube for? Headset? Is it a separate piece from the frame or attached? Is the white Argon 18 on the down tube a sticker or covered by clear coat? What about the molecule symbols? What size seatpost? Hope you don't mind all of the questions, it's just that I'm keeping a few frames in mind for when I'm finished with my R3...
That Silver piece on the headtube is the integrated Spacer system that Argon 18 has pioneered. Their thought is eliminate steer tube flex by providing lightweight Alu spacers that you can customize, thereby getting the stem to sit flush on the headset cap. Indeed, it does the job. It's plenty stiff. The spacer them acts as the headset race. The bearings sit right in the cup. I thought it was the coolest thing when I took the frame out the first time to check it out. There is a special tool that they provide that looks like a shoe horn that helps you to secure the spacer inside the threaded head tube.

All the decals are clear coated. In fact, this is one of the cleanest clear coats I have ever had on a bike. Not one bubble or imperfection on the entire frame. It attests to Argon 18's Quality Control which is some of the most stringent in the industry.

The seatpost is a 250mm 31.6mm diameter. Very sweet looking and super easy to adjust and dial-in. Overall, a great ride. I just took it out for a 35 mile spin and all I can say is holy moly. This one is a fast one freddy.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rot Weiss Essen said:
That is a very nice Argon and the Sram Red and Renyolds wheels just make it look that much better! Nice job.
Thanks Rot. It such a good ride. I couldn't be more pleased myself.

·
Registered
150 Posts
beautiful ride! always liked the look of argons but tend to forget about them. i'm gonna have to take a longer look after seeing this.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kuma601 said:
Looks good!
What seat post is that? Can we see a close-up of Argon's heat tube spacer?
Mike the seatpost is a 31.6mm and I am attaching a close-up picture of the integrated headset. It's an amazing piece of genius and engineering. The front end is 100% stiffer than my Colnago. It even feels more solid than my Cervelo Carbon Soloist.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fitnerd said:
I'm starting to see a lot more Argons popping up lately. They sure look sweet.
I think we're the only team riding these frames in our area. But I'm sure next year people will be taking a closer look as we start to win.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Argon 18 gallium pro

Hi Master

Are you still satisfied with your Gallium? I am looking to buy one, but it is not easy to find someone here in Denmark who has a Argon:(, so i have to relie on you!
Regards Snotskovl

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
Very nice! As a fellow Argon owner (08 Krypton) I must admit my bias, but their innovation (novel headset, E-114 fork, etc.) and design are just great. I'm looking hard at the Galliums and seeing yours doesn't help :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts