Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm a newbie trying to get into the game. I just acquired this old(er) Bianchi road bike from my dad. He received this bike from a fellow co-working sometime in the 90's. He rode it for about a year after he got it and hasn't rode it in about 10 years lol. It was in the garage the whole time so not too much damage (i.e sun, rain etc.) It needs a new chain, tires and possible wheels(rims)? I want to fix this up and use it for everyday riding nothing too hardcore like tours lol :p

I was hoping you guys could help me id this bike. From all the forum lurking the last couple of weeks I've noticed some nice bikes! :thumbsup: After further investigating I could not locate a proper serial number. It does have a Made in Taiwan sticker so we know where its made. It also has a sticker below the seat post marked Cr-Mo. I tried to take the best pics with the crappy cam I have and poor lighting lol but if anyone needs better pics let me know. Ok enough talking more pics!!

P.S I don't know much just the basics so any advice is welcome!! thanks in advance

·
So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
The exposed cables look rusty, too.
At best the cable operated stuff (deraillers, brakes) might feel sticky or sluggish.
At worst you might get a brake failure :eek:

Brake pads are also likely hardened or glazed. If Kool-Stop pads are available to fit your brakes, the modern rubber compounds are pretty nice -- i recently replaced my lightly used OEM pads w/ Koolstop.

Alternatively, lay medium grit sandpaper (#80-120) flat on a table and sand off the 'glazed' pad surface ... a few strokes should do it.

some good resources for information & DIY mechanical work include :
http://www.parktool.com/repair
http://www.sheldonbrown.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jsedlak said:
I have a similar bike! A Nishiki from the 80s. Same style shifters and handlebars/brakes. That is funny, I thought my bike was the only one like it left.
HAAH NICE!! yea when first glancing at all the older bikes on here I was noticing no similar bikes. How is yours holding up? Do you enjoy it? Any pics?

10ae1203 said:
why do you think it needs new wheels?
Well from a second look i might just need a good cleaning:thumbsup: lol what would you recommend? Simple green?? Again sorry for the noob questions lol

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
Look at those pedals!

It's a fairly low-end bike. Don't spend vast sums on it. Certainly don't try to 'upgrade' it. Just ride it and maybe the nickel will drop and you'll discover you love road riding, and are ready to move up. Till then, this should get you out there just fine.

·
half-fast
7,403 Posts
So it isn't a top of the line ride. It's probably got a few miles left in it.

Here's what I'd do--

Wash it with soap and water. Don't squirt the hose into places with bearings. Maybe don't use a hose at all.

Use something like never dull or some other metal polish on the metal bits that should be shiny (except the wheels)

Use some 4/0 steel wool on the wheels.

A little Meguiars scratch-x on the paint if you wanna go nuts.

Your chain lube of choice.

Air up the tires.

Go for a ride.

Post pix.

Repeat as needed.

That's about all I did with this bike.

Have fun.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
etbjr182 said:
HAAH NICE!! yea when first glancing at all the older bikes on here I was noticing no similar bikes. How is yours holding up? Do you enjoy it? Any pics?
It holds up very well actually. I get punctures just as much as other people on their newer bikes. The rest is fine and dandy, I just make sure to get my bike tuned by my LBS at the beginning of every season.

Overall it has its problems but I love it to death. Farthest I have been on it has been 40 miles (at 35 miles one of my legs gave up and head to head home).

I have been meaning to take pictures of it. It has a little less rust (the chain, etc) than yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.