Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, here it is, my pride and joy! Just picked up my BMC SLX01 last week! The shop built it from the frame up, fitted for me and it feels awesome. I went on a 20 mile ride to break it in, mostly flat roads and averaged right about 17 mph. Not that I'm really trying to keep an average speed, but I guess it shows me where I stand from a fitness stand point? The only problem I had was with a little numbness about 8 miles in, but a little standing gave me some relief. I'm thinking of changing out the saddle or maybe adjusting it to point nose down a little bit. Anyway, here she is! :D

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Very nice!! :thumbsup:

If you opt for adjustments to fit to cure the numbness, I suggest against a nose down saddle adjustment. First, make sure the saddle is level and if it isn't, level it. Next, consider adjusting it back about 5mm's. Doing so tends to shift rider weight rearward slightly, taking excessive weight off your hands/ arms.

Before resorting to fit adjustments, try keeping your upper torso relaxed, arms slightly bent and hands gripping the bars tight enough to maintain control, but loose enough to avoid road vibrations from traveling through your hands and up your arms. Changing hand position on the bars frequently and investing in good quality gloves helps as well. And keep tires pressures in a range that's suitable for rider weight and conditions. Many riders overinflate their tires, so this chart offers some guidelines:
http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=airpressure.view

·
Registered
164 Posts
What kind of brake calipers are you using? The ride looks nnniiiiccceee.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
johng723 said:
I went on a 20 mile ride to break it in, mostly flat roads and averaged right about 17 mph. Not that I'm really trying to keep an average speed, but I guess it shows me where I stand from a fitness stand point?

Go find a hill and you may find your "fitness stand point" drops considerably :D

Nice looking bike! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HazemBata said:
Very nice. Now all you need are real pedals :)
This pic was taken at the shop right before I put my pedals on for my final fitting.

PJ352 said:
If you opt for adjustments to fit to cure the numbness, I suggest against a nose down saddle adjustment. First, make sure the saddle is level and if it isn't, level it. Next, consider adjusting it back about 5mm's. Doing so tends to shift rider weight rearward slightly, taking excessive weight off your hands/ arms.

Before resorting to fit adjustments, try keeping your upper torso relaxed, arms slightly bent and hands gripping the bars tight enough to maintain control, but loose enough to avoid road vibrations from traveling through your hands and up your arms. Changing hand position on the bars frequently and investing in good quality gloves helps as well. And keep tires pressures in a range that's suitable for rider weight and conditions. Many riders overinflate their tires, so this chart offers some guidelines:
http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/m...rpressure.view
Yeah, I guess I should definitely make sure I get my riding position down before investing in a new saddle. This bike is definitely bumping against my budget already! :p

From looking at that chart it looks like the tires were just a tad overinflated for my weight at 110 psi...I'll try bringing it down a little bit.

ldotmurray said:
What kind of brake calipers are you using? The ride looks nnniiiiccceee.
The brake calipers are Most B-max force

Erion929 said:
Go find a hill and you may find your "fitness stand point" drops considerably

Nice looking bike!
Haha I'll definitely have to go find some hills. Coming from a mountain biking background I've learned to love climbing so I can't wait to tackle some long hills! :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Congratulations man. Great bike. I'm liking the looks of the BMC bikes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
<< Is green with envy, even though I couldn't possibly justify dropping the dough for such a bike. Congrats, man. She's a beaut.

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
I looked real hard at that bike before buying my system six (too good of a deal to pass up). The BMC is dead sexy! I also *don't* see anyone riding them in my area. The bike looks great, hope you get many many miles of pure bliss (and pain :D ) out of it!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That is a sweet ride, really nice....

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Yeah, that is a nice looking ride! I wanted a bike with white accents as well because I think it looks really sharp, but I didn't want to have to worry about keeping the bar tape clean, etc. so I went for one that was more black instead.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Great looking bike! Enjoy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts