Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
noob roadie :)
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cross post from the General forum. Since I did the vast of my research on this forum, I thought I'd cross post it too :)

Since I'm graduating from college this year, and will be starting a job in a city where there are not many trails, I figured I'd get myself a nice road bike to train on and do club races with.

First, I stumbled across an Aquila with Dura Ace, but the carbon frame was crazing at the seatpost/top tube lug. I felt bad for the seller for driving a long way to meet me in Toronto, so I offered him a few hundred dollars less because the shop was still offering me a 5 year warranty. I'm glad that he was a tight a$$ and did not accept my offer. So I walked out of the door with nothing.

Now I came across this Cannondale Six 13, and it hardly had ANY miles on it. The fron tire still has the extra bits of rubber in the middle of the tire!! The drive train also reflects this bike had very little usage. So I HAD to have it. Here it is, enjoy the pictures :D

Cheers,

Ming

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice ride. I have read nothing but good things about the six13. I like the paint job and coordinatig seat. Great components too. Awsome pics. Enjoy.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Rode this bike for 70 km with my friend for the first time yesterday. It felt more plush than his all carbon TCR 2 (both his and my opinion), and it was much easier to climb with. While descending, the six 13 has a very slight aero advantage than the TCR, but that maybe attributed to my friend using his training wheelset (Open Pros w/ 32 normal spokes and Ultegra hubs). Towards the end of the ride, we were going about 40km/h, and this bike just feels FAST. Can't wait until my first club race of the year :D

Cheers,

Ming

·
Registered
207 Posts
macming said:
It felt more plush than his all carbon TCR 2 (both his and my opinion), and it was much easier to climb with.
My previous bike was a TCR1. To me the biggest difference is the stiffness in the front end and bottom bracket. It feels like every ounce of energy is translated into forward motion. I'm not any faster on the Six13 but it feels faster. And it is red, so that's enough for me!

PS - You need red tires. :)

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Xyzzy said:
My previous bike was a TCR1. To me the biggest difference is the stiffness in the front end and bottom bracket. It feels like every ounce of energy is translated into forward motion. I'm not any faster on the Six13 but it feels faster. And it is red, so that's enough for me!

PS - You need red tires. :)
Thanks for the insight. I'm pretty new to road biking and I cannot tell the exact spot in terms of stiffness. Heck, when I switched from a SID (wet noodle) to a Fox F100X, I couldn't too much difference in stiffness :confused:

Seeing you have the Campy bike and the SI crank, how much does your bike weigh??

Mine with bottle cages and pedals comes in at about 16.75 pounds, and I just want something for comparsion.

I know red tires are going to look better, but I'm going to stop spending money on the bike until parts wear out. I made the mistakes of swapping pratically every part on my mountain bike last summer, and this summer, I have to start paying my parents back for the car :eek:

Cheers,

Ming

·
Registered
207 Posts
macming said:
Seeing you have the Campy bike and the SI crank, how much does your bike weigh??
I've never weighed it. It is a bit lighter than my TCR1 was. I've lost 26 pounds since December so +or- 1 pound of bike weight wouldn't make much of a difference compared to that. And losing weight is so much cheaper!

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Xyzzy said:
I've never weighed it. It is a bit lighter than my TCR1 was. I've lost 26 pounds since December so +or- 1 pound of bike weight wouldn't make much of a difference compared to that. And losing weight is so much cheaper!
Wow..26 pounds in 4 month...Congratulations on the weight loss. Even with my racing last year, my body weigh stayed at 190 lbs. My body fat dropped from 22% to 16% during the season, but my weight never tends to change.

I realize bike weight doesn't make all that much difference, but I was just curious to see what a bike with the lighter SI cranks and Campy would come out to ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
macming said:
I realize bike weight doesn't make all that much difference, but I was just curious to see what a bike with the lighter SI cranks and Campy would come out to ;)
I bet the difference isn't more than a quarter pound or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts