Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Salsa Casseroll f+f a couple weeks ago and moved the parts from my langster (https://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=145270) over to build a new commuter.

Specs as follows:

- 49cm Salsa Casseroll frame and forks
- Chris King pewter headset
- DuraAce 7402 cranks with 41t Thorn SS chainring
- Generic 16t cog
- Hope Mono road hubs on Mavic CXP33s (with ss spacing kit)
- FSA Omega Compact OS handlebar
- Fizik Gobi saddle
- KMC z-610HX chain
- Schwalbe Stelvio 28mm with Raceguard tyres
- Shimano 105/Tiagra long drop brakes
- Cane Creek SCR-5 brake levers
- Cinelli Lumen bar tape (glow in the dark baby!)
- SKS Blumels silver mudguards

Rode it 3 times to work so far and I have to say I like it very much. Running ss 41x16 with 28mm tyres and fenders. Very comfortable!

Still need to fully adjust the saddle/handlebars. I think I'm gonna get a a longer stem as the reach on my main bike is longer than this.

Here's a couple of photos:

More photos here:
https://picasaweb.google.co.uk/damitamit/SalsaCasseroll

Amit

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Consider leaving the stem as it is in the picture. To me, commuting requires a more upright position - scanning traffic in an aero position is a tad uncomfortable.
I have found a compact cockpit with closer/higher bars more neck-friendly.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Black is just killing it. You should slap a silver seatpost, silver stem, silver bottle cage, and silver spacers on there FOR SURE.

Then it would be *SCHWING* from top-to-bottom.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm a sucker for a practical bike with fenders. That Casseroll is a thing of beauty. I'm also often attracted to women in glasses. Some how those two things are related, I think.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nice bike. I agree with changing the stem and seat post to silver from an aesthetic point of view. The one thing I would do is get the Dremel out and trim the fender struts closer to the fender for a cleaner look.

As for cockpit issues I wonder if changing your seat post to one having some setback would be better. Your current one looks like it has 0 setback. Without getting into a huge debate about KoPS, this might fix both your issues of cockpit length and colour of your seat post.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lonesomesteve, unfortunately I'm not a woman in glasses (thou i do wear glasses)!

blakcloud, yes, the dremel is on the list of things to do! (run out of cutting discs).

Silver setback seatpost has been ordered. Thought a setback thomson would have looked perfect but couldnt justify the spend on a commuter bike, so have settled with a Deda Metal Stick. There actually isn't much choice when it comes to silver control components. Stem will probably be a Deda Quattro.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice bike!

What's the ride like and how heavy is it? How long is your commute?

Nice garden shed (It reminds me of England :D )

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It rides real smooth. Its quite heavy, heavier than the langster before it. Not sure how many pounds thou.

Commute is 10 miles each way through NW London (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie...367681766997951992.0004645c1786576e363f4&z=12)

Rode to work this morning and there is one problem with the build. The cranks/bb seem to creak when you really put down the power. What are the usual remedies to this with square taper cranks?

·
Registered
255 Posts
damitamit said:
The cranks/bb seem to creak when you really put down the power. What are the usual remedies to this with square taper cranks?
Did you put plenty of grease in the bottom bracket shell? That is often the culprit. Slightly loose pedals can also do it though I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.