Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just piked up and built a commuter for my 29 mile commuter. Picked up a sweet Surly Pacer framset last week and built her up with some 105 components. Got her out for the first commute yesterday and man is it a nice ride. Obviously not a race machine, but i wouldn't want a CF or Al bike for my commute anyways. Had been a while since I'd been on a steel frame, and what can i say, so much more confortable than my other bikes (giant tcr Al and Cannondale Cross aluminum)... Anyways, if anyone's looking for an affordable steel commuter, think this is a great way to go... and by the way, that stem is just used to dial in before i cut the steerer and install the TTT stem that will go one this bike...

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
I can dig it.

Nice muter, and with gas as it is; it will pay for itself in no time.....

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Nice

Nice commuter bike "bikerboy". Now if I can just get you to put on a "Brooks" saddle. :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

if you feel like donating a brooks saddle, i think that'd convice me, otherwise i'll have to stick with my trusty old flite ti saddle...

i am so hooked on steel now, just such a nice feel

now I'm waiting for my Ted Wojcik custom steel frame to come in and all her campy parts from 11speed so I can build her up for my weekend warrior frame....

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
bikerboy337 said:
if you feel like donating a brooks saddle, i think that'd convice me, otherwise i'll have to stick with my trusty old flite ti saddle...
With Crashbar selling B-17s for $60, it's almost like someone is donating it to you...

http://tinyurl.com/r73k9

- FBB

PS: Sweet bike. I've been trying to get Surly to build a 68cm frame, but they keep saying "No." At least they've been very nice and attentive through the process.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that link...

might have to check that out... have heard great things about brooks saddles, and as stated, this is just my commutter, bad weather bike, so i'm obcioulsy not a weight weenie with this bike...

agree with the surly guys, they were great to deal with and responded to all my questions quickly... think they really do build great bikes for people that love to ride... wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one... too bad you need such a big frame, cause i really do like the ride, very comfortable and it flies by my standards...

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
bikerboy337 said:
this is just my commutter, bad weather bike
Some folks will tell you that you should never get a Brooks saddle wet. I disagree. I road my Brooks Pro through rain and sleet and all kinda frozen gunk from the sky on the heavily-salted roads in and around Boston. After one winter, that saddle was the most comfortable thing I've ever set my tushie on. Talk about conforming to your butt-print! All that water made the saddle into a leather mold of my hind quarters. After that, it was like riding on an easy chair.

- FBB

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet...

thanks for that info... i'm in western mass now, so there will be some nasty weather riding on this... i need a saddle for my Ted Wojcik, so maybe i'll just swap the flite onto that when i start building it.... we'll see.. i always thought brooks were in the 100-200 range, so i'd been looking for flite ti gels and similar saddles in the 75 range... that price on the brooks might just convince me though...

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's one purposeful looking bike! Looks like a fantastic "unsung hero" that deserves a little showing off.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good Choice

I have a Cross Check that I used as a comutter into Pearl Harbor and it was flawless, rain, shine or often mud and crappy roads that are common here. You should get some great service from the Pacer.

Enjoy, Jaime

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bike looks great. I have a crosscheck and have often thought of a pacer to have as my real road bike and make the crosscheck a real commuter, rather than doing both.

I am also waiting on a Ted Wojcik... but a mtb.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great looking Pacer. I've been looking at one of these to build up as well.

What is the final weight?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not quite sure

of the weight... not too light, as the frame and fork are about 6 lbs, and i didn't go lighweight at all on the components... i'd guess around 19 or 20, but i'll try to get a weight one of these days... she's a really nice ride, and i'd much rather be comfortable on the bike and sacrifice a couple of pounds... plus, i keep seeing all these photos of the CF bikes with little dings from falling in the garage, whats the point in that unless you have thousands to waste...

would highly reccommend building one up... really rides nice...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My commute is a 30 mile commute... bike in biker clothes (with work clothes at work)... then i shower and clean up at work, so for now, not putting fenders on for this... i'll just get wet which is no big deal....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts