Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lurking here for weeks, I picked up my "new to me" Jake the Snake. It was a CCA/Kona team bike. This will be my year round training bike (road in summer, road/fireroads in winter). I'm excited.
c

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
with a sibex ti fork

very sweet indeed.

·
Registered
813 Posts
carter1 said:
After lurking here for weeks, I picked up my "new to me" Jake the Snake. It was a CCA/Kona team bike. This will be my year round training bike (road in summer, road/fireroads in winter). I'm excited.
c

thats a cool color scheme on the frame. nice bike mate.

·
Registered
274 Posts
carter1 said:
c
I would absolutely LOVE to have that frame in 60cm... Consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is exactly what I was hoping for! I took her our today for our first ride, other than playing around the 'hood, getting fit adjusted.

I rode out the driveway, 4 miles to the American Tobacco Trail (a rails to trails trail, so named for its route into the historical tobacco district in downtown Durham, NC), 12 miles on the ATT,then 4 miles home, in just over an hour. The perfect "busy day" workout with no driving to the trails, and I cut my "traffic" time WAY back by riding the ATT.

She handles slower than my Orbea road bike, but that took all of a mile to get used. to. I've never ridden anything but steel and carbon forks before, I don't know if its the Ti fork or not, but this bike is much smoother feeling than anything I've ever had on a road bike. I'm playing with the gearing right now, I have a 34 and a 38 small ring, and a 48 large ring with an 11-26 rear. I put the 34 on the small today and may keep it for off road and mountain use, we'll see.

c

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
carter1 said:
I've never ridden anything but steel and carbon forks before, I don't know if its the Ti fork or not, but this bike is much smoother feeling than anything I've ever had on a road bike
Tire air volume plays more into that equation than fork material. A 32mm tire and an Al fork will feel more plush than a 23mm (or 25mm for that matter) and the smoothest fork.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gripped said:
Tire air volume plays more into that equation than fork material. A 32mm tire and an Al fork will feel more plush than a 23mm (or 25mm for that matter) and the smoothest fork.

I agree. I have 32s on it now. What would a normal "on/off road training pressure be for someone who weighs 225-if there is such a thing?

c

·
Registered
405 Posts
ATP where are you?

carter1 said:
I agree. I have 32s on it now. What would a normal "on/off road training pressure be for someone who weighs 225-if there is such a thing?
For road riding as hard as you can, offroad most big guys cant get away with much less than 50psi I believe maybe a smidge less if you ride tubeless/tubular

1 - 10 of 10 Posts