Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, my new Curtlo is completed and on it's way. I am way, way excited about this. Some information on the new bike:

58.1 TT
49.8 ST
74.5 STA
73.5 HTA

I have short legs and a long torso (coulnd't figure that out by the measurements could you? :D )

I went with disc brakes because I love the stopping power of the Avids. I have them on my MTB and with my weight (260's currently) I want to be able to stop, rain or shine. With normal road brakes I've had some stopping power issues, especially in the rain.

Due to my size I also had the rear drop outs widened to 135mm so I could run MTB hubs. The wheels are 36 spoke/XT hubs/Mavic rims which should be nice and strong.

The fork is a custom Curtlo fork with disc brake tabs.

Components are Ultegra 10 speed.

Total cost: $2077.00 (consider it's custom steel with Ultegra components that's a very, very good deal)
Total wait: 4 months (partly due to tube shipping delay)

Here are some pics of the bike he sent me:

· Registered
2,838 Posts
Nice (and a few ?s)

Way to think outside the box to come up with a frame that suits your needs. I love what Doug did with the seat/chainstay connector to accomodate the brakes.

Was he receptive to your unique design ideas?

How wide a tire can you run?

· Registered
640 Posts
I absolutely love it. A great bike for somebody that wants to ride, not show off the "coolest" items of the moment. I would take that in a heartbeat, in fact, it fits me perfectly, I think you should send it my way so you don't have to suffer riding it. :D

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lampshade said:
Way to think outside the box to come up with a frame that suits your needs. I love what Doug did with the seat/chainstay connector to accomodate the brakes.

Was he receptive to your unique design ideas?

How wide a tire can you run?
He was very receptive to my ideas and worked with me on what I wanted. He will basically build the bike bike you want, if he thinks things are a little out of whack he will discuss them with you and work with you to come up with the best solution.

I asked to have enough clearance for 28c tires since I may go bigger due to my size. I'm hoping to drop back down into the 230's which for my frame is a very good weight, hence the design changes and ideas.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cdmc said:
I absolutely love it. A great bike for somebody that wants to ride, not show off the "coolest" items of the moment. I would take that in a heartbeat, in fact, it fits me perfectly, I think you should send it my way so you don't have to suffer riding it. :D
Yea, it was built for me, which is what a custom bike should be. I'm sure the purist won't like it much with the disc brakes and sloping top tube, but it's my bike and I'm going to love riding it.

I think I'll keep it, however, I'm sure Doug would love to build you one of your own :D

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doctor Who said:
That's very cool and very unique.

How is the spacing under the fork? Could you use this as a 'cross bike, or mild off-roader?
As I mentioned in one of the other reply's, I specified room for a 28c tire. I haven't seen the bike yet (it's in transit), but I'll know more tomorrow or Thursday. My guess is a small cross tire would probably fit, though it might be a bit twitchy off road, though I'm sure it would be fast for fire roads.

· Registered
432 Posts
Hi praises to you Wookiebiker.

You have an outstanding machine there. Set up to fit you like a glove with the components you want and for the kind of riding you like to do. Sweet, sweet machine it is.

I know exactly what you mean about it being custom for you. I just want you to know that I also get it. It's a machine others can drool over for sure. And I am totally impressed with the practicality of it. It's truly a purist machine. I define purist as a bicyclist that knows what it's all about.

Interesting it is that there is so much snobbery from some folks considering that racing is such a small niche of all bikes out there, yet they have a code, if you will, of what is right and wrong in their eyes, as if they are the elite and everyone else is common.

· Registered
449 Posts
Nice!!

Very nice -- a great combination of form and function. It's great that you can get something so customized to your preferences and intended use, for about the same price as a lot of off-the-shelf bikes of similar quality.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Which UCI requirements?

terzo rene said:
Nice bike, but according to the UCI requirements it's not legal so you are out of the Tour.
;-)
Which UCI requirements does it violate? Are you referring to the disc brakes? If so, then there is no UCI restriction for disc brakes on road bikes - only on cyclocross bikes. Perhaps there is no specific mention of disc brake restrictions in the UCI rules for road bikes is because no one has tried to use them for UCI road races. And that might be because none of the pro teams thinks there would be an advantage to using them.

G

·
Very nice bike.

I like it a lot. I am a recent huge convert to the Doug fan club. I received mine a month and a half ago, built it up and have been riding it a lot since, I love the bike.

It is comfortable for all day and fits like a glove. I like the Discs, I will do that next time with Doug.

Like you, I went with the custom fork as well and am very happy I did. Doug made me a wonderful bike.

Here's mine.

PS had a chance to look at my file now

TT 57.5
ST 52.8
SA 73 degrees
HA 72 degrees

I love the way this bike rides.

· Bikespace member
4,461 Posts
nice bike. my curtlo is one of my most comfortable all day bikes. i'm sure you'll love riding yours, especially knowing it was made with just you in mind and what you wanted.

i'm still impressed with how he can make a bike fit with a few measurements and a few questions on riding style.

nice choice on the disc brakes too. :)

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
toomanybikes said:
Very nice bike.

I like it a lot. I am a recent huge convert to the Doug fan club. I received mine a month and a half ago, built it up and have been riding it a lot since, I love the bike.

It is comfortable for all day and fits like a glove. I like the Discs, I will do that next time with Doug.

Like you, I went with the custom fork as well and am very happy I did. Doug made me a wonderful bike.

Here's mine.

PS had a chance to look at my file now

TT 57.5
ST 52.8
SA 73 degrees
HA 72 degrees

I love the way this bike rides.
I remember looking at your frame when your first posted pics. I had placed my order then, but pictures were so few and far between that I had to look and drool for a while. I however didn't mind the Curtlo stickers...:D

I've lusted after a custom frame ever since I started riding 12 years ago. After reading up on Curtlo's (well reading as much as I could find) I finally decided to treat my self to a custom bike since I can afford one now. I haven't ridden much lately and wanted something to jump start my riding again, this should fit the bill nicely.

I just can't believe you can get a custom bike for the price he sells them at, it's just amazing. I can't wait to swing a leg over the bike and take it for a ride (it's still in the mail....:( )

The measurements for my frame are these (I was going off of basic memory before)

58.1 cm - TT
49.7 cm - ST (center to top)
14.0 cm - HT
6.8 cm - drop from saddle to handle bar
77 cm - stand over clearance at mid point
1 cm - distance of saddle behind the BB
74.5 STA
73.5 HTA

There were only a few small changes to the frame measurements from what I originally talked with him about. The top tube is about .4 cm shorter and the HT is 1cm shorter than I was looking at (mostly due to the switch from an integrated headset to tradational headset). Other than those two it's exactly what I was looking for.

The TT was also designed around a 10 cm stem for a stiffer front end. I find longer stems to flex more with my size and riding style.

Now, I have to go and pace a little while I wait for my bike to get here...:rolleyes:

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Dollar for Dollar....

...you may have the best custom bike I've seen!

I have about 60 miles on a old lugged Curtlo. It was built and designed by Doug for an early 90s race team. Thus, it is not really the right design for me. I would love to be able to get fattier tires on it. 23s are as wide as I can go. It is replacing my Zeppelin so I hope it becomes my main road bike for a while.

I hope to be as happy with it after 500 miles as I am now!

Doug was great about answering some questions I had about it and sent me a new head tube decal free!

· Registered
192 Posts
Very nice...

Wow, very cool bike indeed. Given some of the nastier northern climates (like where I ride), I'm surprised there aren't more people specifying discs on custom bikes. Seems to make great sense to me.

Can you please tell me which Mavic rim you chose? I can't quite tell from the photo you posted.

Good luck with your new bike.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mr. Peabody said:
Can you please tell me which Mavic rim you chose? I can't quite tell from the photo you posted.
The rims are Mavic A317. They are a disc specific cyclocross/29" mtb rim. The overall wheel build is:

XT hubs
36 spoke per wheel (14/15 butted)
Mavic A317 rims.

Overall a perfect wheel for me since I'm a large rider and when in shape, am very strong for my size. At this time I'm much more concerned with long term durability than light weight and bling factor (at 260 pounds I should never be concerned with light weight wheels :p ).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.