Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pinarello needed some company. :D

Bought it from CC on clearance and got the buildkit from GVH Bikes (Tom was great to work with and very patient). Installed everything myself save for the bb, fork, and cables (and subsequent tuning). I simply didn't trust myself with any of that.

Picked it up from my LBS yesterday and took it on it's inaugural ride. Sadly it was only 5 miles but enough to confirm what others have already said about this model: it's light, stiff and very comfortable. I've still got a little bit of fine tuning to do (i.e. seatpost height, saddle setback and spacer setup) but I can already tell I'm going to enjoy this.

Thanks Kerry_Irons, Terryb, gmastil and fmw, for the advice with regards to the build.

57cm 2003 Carb Level Plus
Ultegra 10 speed except for:
DA rear derailleur and
R700 Compact crank
Deda Magic bars
FSA OS115 stem
FSA SLK post
fi'zi:k Arione saddle
Mavic CXP33 rims
Michelin Pro2 Race 23s.

Sorry for the poor quality pic. Chuckice: any camera-related advice would certainly be welcome. :)

View attachment 54797

I'll post pics which detail the incredible paint job a little later.

·
Banned
3,317 Posts
Magnificent! Not that I'm biased or anything. ;)

After three years of riding it, I still look at my P4 carbon with admiration. I absolutely love that bike. It's more than I could have expected from a bike, and certainly more than I deserve.

I have the Top Level too, which has the funky rubberized paint. Great ride as well, though it doesn't have that race-oriented feel of the P4.

Congrats Antonio_B!

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WheresWaldo: I was wary of the blue bar tape when I first ordered it but then I thought, it's only temporary. Turns out it matched fairly well.

I'll write a report as soon my first real ride is done, that I promise. :)

FFan, so glad you like it! Here it is, 12:51pm local time and I'm already itching to go home and ride. Actually, I almost called in sick today to do just that.:D If I'm not mistaken, I believe I read your feedback from a couple of years ago after you bought yours? Correct me if I'm wrong but, if that is the case, your review of Fondriests helped make my choice even easier. Thanks for that.

By the way, the paint on the rear dropout has that same rubberized paint that you describe. Installing the rear derailleur was a total pain because of it. Apparently, they hadn't thought to chase those threads while they were doing the bb.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great looking bike!

I built up a carb level for racing this year and have to say I like the bike more every time I ride it. I hope Fondriest straightens out their rumored financial troubles since it would be a shame to not be able to replace my frame if anything happens to it.

How about some comparisons between your Fondriest and your Pinarello. As this is my first Italian bike I was wondering if how this bike handles is a characteristic of all Italian bikes or just Fondriest...

Enjoy,
Wayne

·
Single Speed Cross Guy
44 Posts
I wanted this same bike at one time, but bought another frame from Italy...both are great I am sure.
Hope to see you on the road.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
IKnowYouRider said:
I built up a carb level for racing this year and have to say I like the bike more every time I ride it. I hope Fondriest straightens out their rumored financial troubles since it would be a shame to not be able to replace my frame if anything happens to it.

How about some comparisons between your Fondriest and your Pinarello. As this is my first Italian bike I was wondering if how this bike handles is a characteristic of all Italian bikes or just Fondriest...

Enjoy,
Wayne
Yeah, there are some nasty rumors going around about Fondriest's solvency. In fact, there's been some discussion on this board about that very thing. I really hope they get it worked out for the sake of all of us owners and for the namesake.

I went on a longer ride last night and, like you, enjoyed the bike even more than on the first ride. :D

As for the comparison, it's not fair for me to compare it to my Pinarello for a number of reasons. Firstly, my Pin is a steel Asolo...perhaps from the 80's? Frankly, I'm a little unsure what years they were actually made. Anyway, it's a heavy one and not nearly as responsive as the Fondriest.

I can tell you that the first time I rode it, there was certainly a great deal of feedback; it certainly wanted to go with every pedal stroke. With that said, it's not even close to the Fondriest in terms of technology. This is logical simply by virtue of their respective production dates.

I bought it off a co-worker for 200 bucks, a great deal in my opinion. Yet, as such, it still needs quite a bit of work. The drive train is mostly Shimano 600 stuff mixed with some 105 and looked as though it hadn't been serviced in quite some time. Needs to be torn down, rebuilt and a fresh coat of paint. Fixing it up will be my next winter project. Here's a pic:

View attachment 54924

JohnHenry: Thanks! I was thinking the exact same thing about the blue saddle. Unfortunately, all that was in stock when I ordered my buildkit was black. Maybe for my birthday, I'll treat myself.

·
Single Speed Cross Guy
44 Posts
Oh, I forgot to tell you that I had my bike built up at gvh also. I love to work with them and will do so again. A friend of mine in L.A. had a bike from them and suggested I use them...I have nothing but good things to say about gvh.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brianlve said:
Oh, I forgot to tell you that I had my bike built up at gvh also. I love to work with them and will do so again. A friend of mine in L.A. had a bike from them and suggested I use them...I have nothing but good things to say about gvh.
Yeah, no question about the great service from GVH. Tom must have thought I was an idiot for asking what must have sounded, to him, like such simple questions. I think he must get quite a few customers like me. :eek:

Out of curiosity, what did you decide to go with instead of the Fondriest?

My brother-in-law claims that, in Italy, designing bikes it akin to developing a fine bottle of wine. It takes patience but think of the bragging-rights.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
Nice Choice...

I think you won't be disapointed in your decision. It's a proven winner (as proven by Simoni in his 2003 Giro win with it). I also got a great deal from CC on the frame ( I got the '04 model and think the only difference from the '03 is the "Top Carbon" fork). I did have one problem though. CC sent me the frame, but the fork was from the '03 model and the steerer had been cut way short. I sent it back and a new one was given in it's place with no questions asked). I've been on mine for 8 months now and it's so sweet! In fact I was so impressed by the quality that I'm already thinking about a full carbon frame for one of my next projects, that is if Fondriest stays in business. Anyway, I'm sure you'll grow to like it even more and more with every ride. Which reminds me...I've got to go ride (off work this afternoon)...Keep us posted!

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kyler, are those the EVO SAT graphics? Looks great! How about a close up?

Yeah, the more I ride, the more I fall in lust. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my P4 from CC in Jan. of 03 as a complete bike. I can say that if you recently bought one don't worry about the company being gone, because the frame and fork quality is as good as the finish and ride quality. Mine looks like brand new and shows no signs of wear. I'm 185lbs. and have about 18,000 miles on it. Don't see many in Texas so it still gets a lot of attention. When it wears out or breaks I'll just strip it and hang it on the wall with some great memories. No regrets!!

·
Banned
3,317 Posts
Yeah, I'll second Classic&P4. I did the exact same thing. I bought my P4 from CC in March of the same year. I haven't regretted it for one second. I absolutely love that bike. People still comment on the funky top tube. Plus, at races, I'm generally the only one with a P4 in the group.

I hope Fondriest is still solvent, but I honestly think they made 2 mistakes. One was to start selling direct. The second was to raise their prices so high.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fondriest Still Alive...

All of you Fondriests fans can relax a bit. It's being reported over on weightweenies that fondriest has been purchased by an Italian company "Torpado." So I guess I can stop searching for a back up carb level (unless someone has one laying around :).

Wayne

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.